• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audio track effects not working in PP2024 (v24), working fine in PP2023 (v23.6)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I just updated Premiere Pro to v24 and since that my audio track effects (external VST from Valhalla here) are not exporting. If I open the SAME project file in Premiere Pro 23.6, everything works. 

When playing the video inside Premiere v24 there is no issue at all, everything works as expected, the problem only occurs when I export the video. 

I tried to delete cache, doesn't help. Tried with other projects with different audio effects : none of them are exporting but playback inside Premiere works.

I'm exhausted of all these issues with Adobe Products, there is one open issue about the new Export Tab I wrote a year ago and still no news from Adobe. I have no more hope they will fix problems instead of adding new feature one day, but hey, at least if you have the same issue I have, you are not alone ! 

Platform : macOS Ventura (Intel) 

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Effects , Export , Sound

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
14 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked with Valhalla? As with 3rd party effects, change of versions can be problematic. And often the vendor help is useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there' im facing the same issues with Pr version 2024. Waves plugin fx in the audio track couldn't be render out but when preview inside Premiere works fine. Export and downgrade the project to Premiere 2023 with the exact plugin setting works fine. Hope adobe can fixs this issues ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all third-party plugins, you need to check with the vendor that made them on doing a major version update of the NLE ... no matter whether Pr or Resolve. (I work in both.)

Have you checked in with the vendor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mstrkkrft01 

I’m not able to reproduce any errors when exporting directly from Premiere, but can when sending a project to AME.  Is this what you are seeing?

I've created a bug for the errors on rendering to AME.  Until the bug is fixed, you can work around this by turn off "Media Encoder>Settings>General>Premiere Pro>Import Sequences Natively...."

This will force AME to use Dynamic Link to open the project and render from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2023 Oct 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mstegner 

I'm seeing this bug as well including on beta using Waves plugins(both AU and VST). Everything sounds fine in PP and exporting in PP, but exporting from AME ignores all track plugins(not sure about clip plugins). Your suggestion of turning off Import Sequences Natively works, but now I'm curious as to what are the downsides of turning that off? Render times seem about the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No downsides that I'm aware of.  It is a bug that we hope to have fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off "import sequences natively" is something that is often turned off to fix Pr/Me issues. I've been doing it for a decade, never had any issue because of doing so. Don't even have a clue what that does ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well if it fixes problems and doesn't provide any known features...why does it exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt would have to answer that. I've never heard a full description of what that does. I've asked about it at NAB a couple times, was just told essentially "it does stuff you don't need to know about."

But it doesn't hurt to not use it? "No."

Ah well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've asked about it at NAB a couple times, was just told essentially "it does stuff you don't need to know about.""

Someone, from Adobe, responded with that as an answer?  It really seems like that was not a person with enough technical background to answer that question.  Or the list of reasons was too numerous to list on the floor of a crowded Trade Show.  Having been to many of these trade shows, they are physically exhausting, and a detailed, nuanced answer is not something that can always be given.  Surely you are paraphrasing the responce though... I hope.

I can answer from the audio side of things about what it does. I'm not 100 % sure about what it does for accelerated video effects and for other video related reason, so I wont answer, or even speculate here.  I was asked above what the downsides were, not what it did.  I responded with the fact that I am unaware of downsides, maybe I should have responded that there are no downsides from the audio aspect of Premiere.

What it does:
That preference will force AME to always use Dynamic Link to open Premiere Pro projects.  The alternative is to use the native AME project importer code. 

AME has all of the importers, and parsers to load and create a Premiere Pro project natively.  In the rare case that it doesn't have what it needs, like a 3rd party audio effect, AME will use Dynamic Link to get video and audio frames, and those frames from Dynamic Link version of Premiere Pro will be used for rendering the video and audio.
AME, in this case, does not contain the entire 3rd party audio effects scanning system used to enable 3rd party audio effects that Premiere and Audition have.  This is for handling edge cases mostly.  If AME has it's own set of 3rd party audio effects to maintain, a user would have to manually update the list of effects in both Premiere and AME.  If the user didn't manually do this the two lists of effects could be out of sync and a render in AME could be missing a vital 3rd party audio effect.  So, in the case where AME detects a 3rd party audio effect when opening a Premiere Pro project, AME will switch to use the Dynamic Link system and the audio effect will be part of the render.
Usually this works just fine and is seamless to you, the end user.  But, there was a recent bit of code that was refactored and this check is not working correctly.  That is why, turning off "Import Premiere Projects Natively" fixes the issue.  You are forcing AME to use the code path where 3rd party effects work correctly.
The preference was added to allow users to work around any  potential unforeseen issues, and to have a way to force Dynamic Link with Premiere projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed information, Matt!

And I think the assumption that on a trade show floor, that sometimes answers get a bit "soft" due to time/distraction things is pretty solid here. "How much time do I have to get into details?" always being a consideration.

As the essentially "effective" answer was if it doesn't hurt, and helps get something out, don't worry about it ... which for practical things has worked for most users I know of.

That it is mostly going to be an issue when you have say plugins native to Pr or Au, and not both ... that's good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following up on this thread.  This issue was resolved in Premiere Pro/Media Encoder 24.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this same issue. Audio track effects ARE NOT exporting, although they play fine "live" in sequences. These are some (but not all) VST effects. And sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. Adobe Media Encoder is not involved in my workflow (relevant to this).

Have tried a few things with varying results. Rendering effects, rendering audio effects, exporting MOV as intermediate using previews, direct export to mp4 involving on the fly re-renders. Cannot detect a rhyme or reason as when they export and when they don't. 20% success rate. 

This is a high use workflow for me and was working fine. Not going to dump this on third parties. Adobe rattled something in 24.x that was working reliably. The effects exist and plan in the sequence. 

I've also noticed some confusion with ALL track effects where the bypass toggle sometimes work backwards. This includes Adobe's native EQs and compressors, in addtion to third party effects.  Also started in 24.x

Presently on 24.2 / Windows / Intel i9 / ADA 5000 / 64GB ram.

Cammatador
Video Editor 

@mstegner @Ben Insler 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2024 Mar 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now following up. I believe this to be a pure Adobe / Premiere problem. 24.2 (windows) seems to lose track of a lot.

Regarding the intermittent application of audio track effects in exports. I find if I nudge a setting before export that export is most of the time ok. I have to do this for at least one effect in each track chain. So, it seems on export perhaps premiere is forgetting what may have already been rendered in some situations.

This may also be happening with video. I use QT ProRes 422HQ as a render / preview codec. My exports using "use previews" and using the sequence preview codec as the export format are SLOW. Slower than realtime for a completely rendered sequence. As if things are having to be rendered. (this is a 7 minute sequence that takes 11 minutes to export as such). This is not past behavior.

Previously I mentioned Premiere getting out of sync when the bypass / power buttons were used in native (and 3rd party) audio effects. When activated in the effects window the track panel indication of the effect will be bypass and vice versa. The toggle can get our of sync. This is also new behavior. 

And when exporting a sequence that has just been exported the previous export settings are not being recalled. This is new behavior. 

So it seems like Premiere is forgetting a lot of little things. 

Cammatador
Video Editor

Votes

Translate

Translate