• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Premiere 23.5 on M2 Ultra Studio

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2023 Jul 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using premiere for over 15 years now. I have never experinanced such a buggy version. Ever since I got the MAC STUDIO M2 Ultra, Premiere has been nothing short of a nightmare. From issues of editing with two monitors, two video not being played on the timeline. Massive lagging. Not able to render anything. Someone FIX this version. Come out with an update already. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Just in case anyone has the same issue I was having, found out the root cause was the Sony Catalyst Prepare plugin which was the cause of all my woes. After removing the plugin, Premiere is behaving normally. Shout out to Kyle P. for helping me isolate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

I have a quick update for anyone experiencing poor playback performance on M2 Mac Studio Multi-display setups.

We've identified an issue where disabling the MacOS system setting "Displays have separate Spaces" under "Desktop & Dock" degrades playback performance. By default this setting is enabled.

We're still working on an official resolution but in the meantime you can try re-enabling that setting as a workaround (requires system reboot to take effect) 

KylePlumadore_0-1692053164067.png

Let me know if you had that setti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 01, 2023 Dec 01, 2023
Hi all - another update:

Apple has identified the source of the bug. I anticipate that it will be fixed in a future MacOS update.  My understanding is that it's a complex bug to fix, so it may take additional time to get fixed in the OS.

To facilitate a quicker improvement for users, Apple has also provided us with an application side code change which will workaround the bug. This change is available for testing now in the latest Premiere Pro Beta (24.2.0.34) dated 2023-12-01.  I've verified

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

I'm happy to share that Premiere Pro 24.2.1 contains the fix for the M2 Studio multi-display playback performance bug I previously described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/issues-with-premiere-23-5-on-m2-ultra-studio/idc-p/14007966#M13412

This means that playback performance with the system setting “Displays have separate Spaces" disabled should now be on par with that setting enabled in Premiere Pro 24.2.1 and later.

Please note that if you are experiencing an issu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hello @Igal Hecht,

A product team member listed your bug as fixed, so I marked it as such. I appreciate your patience while they were fixing the problem.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 145 Replies 145
145 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jonathanrichards I sent you a direct message with a link to upload to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been informed that macOS 13.4.x has known issues with multi-monitor configuarations that are resolved in macOS 13.5. This may or may not be impacting reporters here.

If anyone is experiencing multi-monitor issues and is currently on macOS 13.4, I'd recommend updating to 13.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

Hello Kevin Monahan,

As I mentioned, I already filed a documentation bug on June 14th. Thanks for your patience on this.

I'll note here that 5 weeks later (July 20), Adobe still has not confirmed M2 support in its documentation.

The M2 was launched in June of 2022.

More than a year later, Premiere Pro users are still told by Adobe's online documentation that the integrated graphics of M2 chips are not supported.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than a year later, Premiere Pro users are still told by Adobe's online documentation that the integrated graphics of M2 chips are not supported.

I would support this view.  Whgen I connect an external monitor to the HDMI port on our M2 Mac Studio Ultra, playback on the GUI program viewer stutters to a stop; it looks like it's playing 10 fps.   I sold my M2 Mac Studio Max 48 hours after purchase and replaced it with a $6,000 M2 Ultra Studio thinking this would fix the problem, but the issue was identical. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated and doesn't change anything for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, very same issues here. 

I should have known better but i just got the studio ultra m2 with 128gb of ram. And I am having similar problems (very slow reaction time and it feels like as if the sluggines is getting worse when you connect more monitors.)

The CPU is allways way over 100%, rather at 500-700%. And 2 layers of 4k (xavc-i) are way to much to handle (from a ssd raid).

PrP 23.5 and I have tried it on 23.4 too, same thing as far as I can tell.

Are there any conclusions adobe has made recently? Will there be an update soon? Are there any known workarounds for the time being?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if going to 23.4 might fix this issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try, as you can open a 23.5 project in a 23.4 version of PrP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere has definitly ruined the Studio Ultra experinace. I hoenstly thought it'd be smooth sailing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just like this: premiere Pro is just not working properly on studio m2 ultra macs? 

I had problems on my macbookpro m2, and thought: it's the ram (only 32, and after a while prp eats that away like nothing)  Today I got the mac studio ultra with 128gb of ram, and the performance is even worse!! No more ram eating, as there is enough, but the same cpu overkill as with the mbp: the cpu is allways way over a 100%, rather over 500! How can that be? 

The timeline is so sluggish  you sometimes have to wait for 5 seconds until it reacts. And 2 layers of 4k (xavc-i) are way to much to handle (from a ssd raid).

Yes, as others have noticed:  the bad performance is getting worse when you connect more monitors.

That is with PrP 23.5, but I have tried it on 23.4 too, same thing as far as I can tell.

And, of course: killed all the media cache etc  and imported the project into a new one. 

Are there any conclusions adobe has made recently? Will there be an update soon? Are there any known workarounds for the time being?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is willing to provide a project + media that reproduces, it would greatly help our investigation into the reported performance problems on the M2 Studio Ultra. 

I can provide an upload location - feel free to DM me, or email me plumador@adobe.com 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just switched back to 23.4... So far, no stalling. No beach ball of death, after every slight movement and both screens are working. Really surprised at how buggy 23.5 is. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good find @Igal Hecht . It would be good to hear from others whether their issue was also solved by switching back to Premiere 23.4.

An additional piece of data that would help us would be a macOS system trace during the poor performing playback.

You can capture this via opening a terminal and running: 

sudo ktrace artrace -t 10 -o issue.artrtace --type=full

This will collect the following 10 seconds of system performance statistics into a trace file that we can use to analyze what might be going on (See this link for more info on what ktrace collects). The trace will be collected in the directory the command is run from. You can use this command to open a finder window in that directory:

open .

Again feel free to DM/email me if you need a location to upload the trace to, or have other questions about collecting it if you are willing to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good, it didn't chsnge things here though, sad enough.

Can you check the cpu percentage of Premiere pro in the activitymonitor app? Here it allways is way over 100", rather 500-700. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would but it's way to large. I guess that's one of the problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I have the very same issues with my mac studio m2 ultra 128 gb. Quite frustrating after spending so much money. Does anyone see the cpu usage way over 500 % too? Maybe this is a hint to whats going wrong. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Igal, same problem here. I worked with Premiere Pro for almost a year on a Apple M1M, 24C 64GB without any problems (accept the first week, but after an update of Premiere Pro it was solved), but a few days ago I switched to an Apple M2M 12/30 64GB-1TB and I have the same problem that my timelines with just normal footage (sometimes Quiktimes HD or 4K material from Black Magic or RED) are not playing realtime and also slow reaction when I press spacebar or stop. So impossible to work with. Has Adobe already a solution? Or they aware of the problem, because we could not be the only one with this. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think things get worse with more than one monitor. BUT things stay problematic with only one. (Studio ultra 128gb). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Same here.
Macbookpro MAX M2 .32RAM. 2Teras Disk. 2023
😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I wanted to reiterate - if anyone is willing to provide a system trace (described here), or their project/media, please DM me or email me at plumador@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know they havent. 23.4 has some issues, but way less than 23.5 I wonder if Adobe is compatible with the M2 Cheap? I have an M2 Ultra with 192BG and 4TB. Premire should be flying. Instead it's like using a mac from 2018. So not sure if it's Adobe or it's Mac, or the fact that they are not compatible right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues.

@Igal Hecht try this: Resize the Premiere workspace slightly smaller than your screen (so that you can see the desktop behind). This immediately solved some very long hangups/stutters while trying to edit Prores footage on build 23.4. I upgraded to 23.5 but the same issues persist.
I am editing with 2 monitors attached on an M2 Ultra Studio. 125gb RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing with premiere in the pas few weeks has been truly the worst experiance. I have never had these issues. Adobe should have have been better prepared for the work flow with the M2 Studio systems. Each day I turn on premiere, I pray that I dont have issues. Each day, I waste 2hrs on somehow making things work. Not only am I unable to edit, it has also runied the joy of this new system. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2023 Jul 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle, I have run a trace during the poor performace issue and will be emailing you shortly. Please reply here if you don't receive it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any updates>?

Votes

Translate

Translate