Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 8-30-24:  

We have released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  

Please download 25 beta and see if that helps your issue?   

You can find Premiere Pro version 25 beta in the creative cloud desktop app in the sidebar under beta apps.  Thank You!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Hi @Anthony LV  @rranney  @telecam2 @Christiaan1 @juhaniv94094739 @Juerg5CF2 and anyone else experiencing frame recursion errors. - 

We just released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  Can you try downloading 25.0.0 build 29 or later and see if that helps your issue?   

Version 25 is part of our next major release so it is not backwards compatible to 24, but it would be good to know if this version helps your issue.  

You can find Premiere Pro version 25

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 380 Replies 380
380 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are massive changes, additions, to the color management workflow process in the 25.x series. So matching color to earlier projects might be a challenge as you learn which settings to use to match previous projects.

Going forward, it will be a huge uplift to color control management though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the v25 beta and mxf files do play now.

To clarify, the issue is not that MXF files don't play, it's that there are constant "Frame Recursion" errors with black frames inserted randomly throughout and poor playback performance due to this (i.e. clips taking 2-3 seconds to start playing on the timeline, even 50Mbps 1080p files on beefed out Macs).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having same problem. Brand new computer set up.

Asus ProArt Z790 Creator - DDR5 (Thunderbolt 4)

Intel Core i9-14900K | 6.0 GHz | 24 Cores 32 Threads

Asus RTX 4070TI ProArt OC 16GB (using Studio Driver)

64GB Crucial 4800MHz DDR5 Ram (2x32GB)

1TB Gen4 Samsung 990 PRO M.2. NVME

2TB Gen4 Kingston KC3000 M.2. NVME

8TB Seagate Ironwolf 7200RPM 3.5

Latest Premiere Pro 24.6.1

Sony MXF files stuttering, multiple dropped frames. Hopeless!!

H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Long GOP High Profile 4:2:0 Unconstrained Coding  

Totally unable to work on my project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jan Osfield - please check pinned post.  We have made some updates in version 25 beta that addresses your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @ghuff - I'm not understanding your post, are you saying that you are still receiving frame recursion errors in beta 25?  What build are you working on?  Can you provide a screen recording of the issue you are seeing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Jamie. But exactly saem problems wiht the 25.0 Beta version. Stuttering frames.

Multiple dropped frames and frame substitution aborted.

Sony MXF files stuttering, multiple dropped frames. Hopeless!!

• H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Long GOP High Profile 4:2:0 Unconstrained Coding.

This is the case for my 6 years of Sony MXF files Im working with for this improtant project.

Never had trouble before and all files play perfectly on VLC player.

Hopeless and VERY frutrating. Cant do my project at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 03, 2024 Sep 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jan Osfield - Can you let us know what build you are testing?  You can find it in the About Premiere.  Do you have any plugins installed?  Have you tried holding down "SHIFT" while opening premiere and then select the checkbox "reset media cache". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was using 25.0 (beta) and it was whatever build your thread from Aug 20
suggested. It doesn't show a build number in the info.
I also had to use the beta for AE and ME since they current versions would
operate with PR25 Beta.
I reset the media cache.
I have The Masker installed but don't use it - and it is for audio which
has been fine.

Fred

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore that - it is not a beta specific issue. The beta will always tell you the version in "about Premiere Pro". Best way to check if you're on the latest version is to go to the Creative Cloud updates page and see if there is a beta update. Please also check and post your video driver version if you're on a PC. While I understand it's frustrating all these things help to troubleshoot. OS version, hardware, video driver, media type (be specific) and even posting an example project. FWIW I have seen projects that are problematic and copying all your sequences into a brand new project has resolved some issues. Not saying it will work but may be worth a try as I note a lot of these problem projects seem to involve years of work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing suggested has worked. Have downloaded the latest Beta Version  25.0.0.044 (2024 -09 -3) and also the Media Encoder.

I have deleted projects and started afresh. Cleared media cache.

Exactly the same MXF files issues. Frame recursion errors. Stuttering files. Etc Cannot proceed witt my project.

All are perfect in Da Vinci Resolve (whihc i have downlaoded out of frustration) and play perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jan Osfield for what it is worth I rolled back to the last version of version 23 that you can download and it has been smooth in terms of dealing with my Sony XDCam MXF media. 24 is a hot mess, and being on daily deadlines with news I just don't have enough confidence in a beta version to make deadline so I haven't put that through its paces (though just running media through a timeline to export as one big MP4 stringout through media encoder has been succesful a few times, I just haven't done any true editing on the beta yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that.

I'll try it.

I just fired up my old computer and with current version of Prmeiere pro 24 and there was NO trouble with files!

Go figure!

I got a new PC with much higher specs so it could cope wiht a large video project I am about to commence.

The old one is very slow: 

Old PC

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHz

Gigabyte - GA-Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

32.0 GB  RAM

MSI - GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GT OCV2

PRIMARY C DRIVE: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb

New one:

Asus ProArt Z790 Creator - DDR5 (Thunderbolt 4)

Intel Core i9-14900K | 6.0 GHz | 24 Cores 32 Threads

Asus RTX 4070TI ProArt OC 16GB (using Studio Driver)

64GB Crucial 4800MHz DDR5 Ram (2x32GB)

So is that a clue ADOBE????

I want and need to sue my new sytem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 04, 2024 Sep 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check and see if the problems go away when you select software decoding in preferences for timeline playback. Your system is probably powerful enough to decode MXF on the fly using software. If you see improvement the most likely problem is the NVidia driver not playing well with Adobe. It's been a long time since I was on a PC but there used to be advanced settings in the NVidia driver specifically for NLEs and their also used to be a specific driver (not the Studio driver). Perhaps check the driver release notes? Just suggestions to try - understand your frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with this suggestion is I have the same problems on an AMD-based Intel Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AnthonyAS - Build 43 should be available in the CCD app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou for that!

After days of stuffing around and prmiere crahsing wiht al the Beta versions - I took your suggestion and rolled back to version 23.9.

It works!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jamie - the fact is that none of your suggestions have worked.Very disappointing.

The only thing that has worked is uninstalling Premiere and rolling back to version 23.9.

None of the Beta versions solved the problem. In fact they created more & program crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou. I have checked all the latest Beta updates.

I have the latest build of my driver NVidia Geforce RTX4070Ti - 560.81

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

where ? how do i do that please ?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can only install beta 24.6 but i have : "this project was saved in a newer version of adobe premiere pro (beta) and cannot be opened in this version.... "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jan Osfield @AnthonyAS - There was a problem with the beta build 44 that rolled out we are sorry about that, we have since updated and fixed the crash.  You can now download 25.1 beta from the Creative Cloud app.  You can find Premiere in the All Apps section at the very bottom of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

25.1 is running smoothly. Thank Jeebus.

Sent from my phone, but don’t be afraid to call me out on typos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2024 Sep 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a lot of issues with these errors.

We have a lot the retrieval errors and in later 24x version there are glitches in the exports (and than later in the timeline). Tried a lot, beta also does not work, but nothing will work and seems it's an erorr in the software and how it handles Long Gop video like Sony XAVC-L.  I don't think the video card is a thing as we have these issues with a RTX 3060 but also a Quadro 4000.

Rolling back to a year old version 23 is the only solution it seems to have no errors or glitches. Though it's not really a solution as we also want the new features. 

I think it's really strange how this was not seen before releasing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert26002911p8fm Are you on 25.1 beta or the final release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Tommy24057098668n - Please use the beta version of Premiere Pro since that has the potential fix in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate