Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 8-30-24:  

We have released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  

Please download 25 beta and see if that helps your issue?   

You can find Premiere Pro version 25 beta in the creative cloud desktop app in the sidebar under beta apps.  Thank You!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Hi @Anthony LV  @rranney  @telecam2 @Christiaan1 @juhaniv94094739 @Juerg5CF2 and anyone else experiencing frame recursion errors. - 

We just released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  Can you try downloading 25.0.0 build 29 or later and see if that helps your issue?   

Version 25 is part of our next major release so it is not backwards compatible to 24, but it would be good to know if this version helps your issue.  

You can find Premiere Pro version 25

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 380 Replies 380
380 Comments
LEGEND ,
Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many changes between the 24.x builds and the 25.x public beta. Including massive changes in color management, adding many options we've never had before. And other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jamieclarke 

I've been testing version 25, and everything seems to be working just fine for me.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe clearly does not care at all. I have been having this issue forever and the only option is to downgrade. I regret not switching to davinci sooner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@IslandFox - Please see the pinned post.  We have made some updates in the current beta version of Premiere Pro 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your help! it does look like Beta is working much better. 

We still experience minor artifacts in the Control Monitor playback (resolved with cache clean-up); however, those do not get transferred to the final render. 

Could you give us approx. timeline when do you guys expect to release version 25? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see 24.6 is out. Can anyone confirm if this resolves the MXF issues? I'm in the middle of a project so I won't be able to upgrade yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @StMarduk - We have made some updates in the beta version 25 for customers experiencing frame recurssion errors.  So far the potential fix has looked promising.  If you experience these errors in a project it would be helpful to install the beta and test if you still get them.  Please let us know thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 26, 2024 Aug 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@StMarduk 24.6 had the same crashing issue for me when I tried it once. Didn't have time to explore it further, so back to 23.x I went for the night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 27, 2024 Aug 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had success with the 25.0 beta? I tried it out and it ran extremely slow on my computer. Ended up getting frustrated and downgrading to version 23. 

Final Cut Pro is looking very appealing right now.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 28, 2024 Aug 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated: 
Possible solution... oh no... still glitches in export.

Try Clearing Cache in the preferences. It can help for playback .
But in my export there are glitches again.
Sony MXF Long 4k
Prem 24.6.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @benniemeetsworld - Confirming that you are not seeing frame recursion errors?  What are your computer specs?  What build are you working on, you can check in the about Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, j'ai un projet avec des fichiers "AVC Long GOP High 4:2:2 Profile 10-bit Unconstrained Coding", et Premiere Pro se ferme subitement, sans arrêt. J'ai essayé d'anciennes versions de Premiere, idem. J'ai supprimé le cache. Idem. J'ai fait un diagnostic. Rien n'est remarqué sur mon système. Premiere pro se ferme sans laisser de message d'erreur. C'est la première fois que j'ai cette difficulté. 

Que se passe t-il ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @AnthonyAS - Can you give us some more information. What are your PC specs? What version of Premiere do you have installed?  Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance. I don’t have any third-party plugins installed. I was using the latest version of Premiere Pro (24.6), but it kept crashing. I've since reverted to version 24.4.1 (build 2), which seems to be more stable. It did crash twice within the first 15 seconds of opening, but it's been running without issues for the last 15 minutes. Here are my system specs:

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor 3.79 GHz
  • Installed RAM: 64.0 GB
  • Operating System: Windows 10, 64-bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it just crashs again....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AnthonyAS - We are investigating an issue with crashing in certain instances.

Can you try troubleshooting one thing for me.  There is a file in the Premiere Pro folder labeled ImageRenderer.dll You can find it in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 Can you try deleting that file and then update to Premiere Pro 24.6 and let us know if you are still getting crashes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done. When i opened Premiere pro last version (24.6.0 (build 86)), no crash for now, but 2 error messages ' error retrieving frame 2814 at time 00 52 00 12 from the file E:/....CANON.MXF, substituting grame 2813'  ' error retrieving frame 2818 at time 00 52 00 16 from the file E:/....CANON.MXF, substituting grame 2817,  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and it crashed again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @AnthonyAS - 

We just released an update in beta that is a potential fix for these frame recursion errors.  Can you try downloading 25.0.0 and see if that helps your issue?   

Version 25 is part of our next major release so it is not backwards compatible to 24, but it would be good to know if this version helps your issue.  Thank You! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently testing the beta version. So far, no error messages or crashes. I'll keep you updated. Thanks for your help Jamie !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help troubleshooting and hanging in there, I know how frustrating that is.  Please keep us updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour
J’ ai le même problème avec des fichiers 4k mxf 422 10 bits
Une fermeture violent de première pro
Ma seule solution actuellement a été de transformer ces fichiers en pm4 h264
Et je n ‘ai plus de pb
C’est la premiere fois que j’ ai de l’ instabilité sur premiere
Ce logiciel se dégrade , trop de mises à jour non validés

Envoyé de mon iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @reboussier - Please see pinned post, and let us know if that helps your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

En effet, c'est assez frustrant ces bugs. Pour l'instant, l'installation de la beta semble corriger tout ça. Pas de crash ni de messages d'erreur depuis 1 heure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the v25 beta and mxf files do play now. However, had timeline all files, upgrade to AE25 Beta as well, relink graphics one by one (others on path did not relink automatically) and the color correction on some files is now off, enough that the keys (using ultra key) are also off. 
all mxf files were shot with Sony FS6 or FS7. I have dozens of projects with footage from these cameras so hope you can fix this soon. These are not outdated or obscure cameras. Tha ks

Votes

Translate

Translate