• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 24.4.1 Tons of "Frame Substitution Recursion Attempt..." errors, black video on many clips

Participant ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting tons of "Frame Substitution Recursion Attempt..." errors, black video on many clips in bin on a project that was working fine and smoothly under previous versions.  Media is mainly 4K UHD 29.97P Sony AVC-L codecPremiere 24.4.1.jpg from Sony FX6 and FX9 cameras.  Reverting to previous version.

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Thank you for the file!  I imported it into 24.4.1 with no problems.  Can you try holding down the shift key and open premiere > select reset plugin cache and disable plugins.  Let me know if that does anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2024 Mar 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bei Premiere Pro kommt bei mir jedes mal der Fehler: "Rekursionsversuch der Frame-Ersetzung wird nach mehreren Versuchen bei folgender Datei abgebrochen."

Ja, es gibt schon einen Beitrag zu dem Thema, aber bei mir bleibt das Problem weiterhin bestehen.

Problem: 

1. Wenn ich im Projektfenster auf einen Clip doppelt klicke, dauert es sehr lange, bis sich der Clip im Monitor öffnet. Das ist zum Selects erstellen sehr nervig.

2. Beim scrollen in der Timeline steht ständig das typische "Media pending". Auch hier dauert es gefühlt wieder eine halbe Ewigkeit, bis die Clips geladen sind.

3. Verkrümungsstabilisation kann auf den Clips generell nicht angewendet werden. Beim analysieren bleibt es immer auf Frame 1 stehen und bricht dann ab.

4. Bei allen genannten Problemen kommen unzählige Fehlermeldungen. Entweder das mit dem Rekursionsversuch oder "Fehler beim Empfangen des synchronen Frames."

Bei einem anderen Beitrag steht, dass es behoben werden kann, wenn man das Material auf den Computer direkt zieht.

Ich schneide meistens auf ext. SSDs. Das Problem entstand als erstes auf der Sandisk Extreme Port. SSD 2Tb. Auf der Samsung T5, der Samsung 970 Evo und auf der Mac internen SSD bleibt das Problem gleich.

Ich habe auch schon versucht ein neues Projekt zu erstellen, aber das funktionierte auch nicht.

Bei meinen Projekten arbeite ich mit R3D Files auf einem Macbook Pro 16` mit M1 Max und 32Gb Ram.

Das komplette Projekt ist auch insgesamt nur 370 Gb groß.

Ich hatte den Fehler auf der Version 24.0 und konnte nicht auf 24.2 updaten. Wurde mir einfach nicht in der Creative Cloud angezeigt. Desswegen habe ich es jetzt auf der Beta-Version 24.4 auch ausprobiert und das Problem bleibt bestehen. (keine Plugins)

Hat den Fehler noch wer? Wäre super, wenn jemand eine Lösung hätte. ( :

Gruß,

Flo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to update creative cloud or log out/in .. if you see the new version, update to the newest premiere pro.

but if you are on tight deadlines, roll back to previously working versions and finish your projects,

backup, then update.. also, you can have several versions of premiere pro installed and use the already 

working version to meet your deadlines...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich habe nach Ihrer Anleitung jetzt Premiere aktualisiert auf 24.2 und habe nochmal das Footage auf die Interne Festplatte verschoben. Hat leider nicht funktioniert. Ältere Versionen funktionieren auch nicht.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 24.4.1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to let you know. They are working on a fix.
I have sent original Sony footage file to the team because they asked me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same with me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, this one is a serious blunder. How could this pass QC when not working with a popular media file format from a major camera brand. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's even more troubling is that one feature advertised on this version is accelerated processing of SONY XAVC-L (or AVCL) media...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is where I am now. My project was unusable under 24.4.1 🥴

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Telecam - I'm sorry your having issues with these MXF files.  Are you using markers in your workflow by chance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very rarely. There may be one or two in my timeline or one of the hundreds of clouds in the project. Troubling also is that many clips in my bins are showing black and that everything loads super sluggish.  Project unusable under 24.4.1, works great under previous version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info telecam can you try going to Preferences > Media < and uncheck the box "enable hardware accelerated decoding".  Then restart your project and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @telecam2,

Thanks for the bug report. Please respond to @jamieclarke's post for further help on this issue. I hope we can help you solve this problem ASAP.

Thanks.
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, working under deadline, can't troubleshoot. Installed and tested latest update twice this weekend. Will keep using previous version for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, this error seems to result from a frame cache error. I've always gotten it when I would do something like make some footage slow-mo, like with Twixtor or something, where it would be nested and then pre-rendered. I would make a change inside my nest; I would get this error in my main timeline because it does not realize that my footage was somehow changed. Still, nothing in my timeline was changed, which is how it would detect a frame change is a change in the timeline, but since the change happened inside the nest and not in the timeline, bingo bango, it can't figure out what the discrepancy is, and there ya go with an error.

use that little bit of pseudo-technical insight to help you in the future. As for now, the quick answer I can offer is to

1. try clearing your cache
2. go to the sequence menu (top of the screen) and delete render files
and to address the root of the problem (I'm willing to bet) 
3. go to sequence settings, down in the view previews section, and play around with file format and codec.

Whenever Adobe makes updates that involve codec/video format compatibility, there tend to be a few bugs that need to be sorted on the initial release. If you want to point the finger, I'll humbly point out that you'd be more righteous to point the finger at Mac and Windows's inability to play nice together, whilst Adobe is the one in the middle trying to play peacemaker. (The camera companies aren't without guilt, but if you're on a Windows computer like myself, I can tell you from personal experience that 90% of these issues arise for me after a 'codec/format improvement heavy update' because of some compatibility issue with an apple codec such as prores and the like.) Worry not; a quick change of codec in preview settings or switching to I-frame usually solves the problem, and like clockwork, Adobe will have a fix for it in the next minor update.

Mod note: Some slight edits to the text were made for readability and format.

----------
Become so undeniably good that you give your imposter syndrome an inferiority complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Reloaded 24.4.1
  • Created a simple test project.
  • Imported Sony AVC-L footage and saw same issue.  Multiple "Frame Sustitition Recursion" errors while loading the project, a bunch of clips showing black in the bin.  Playback of anything (clip in bin, timeline....) impossible.  Project unusable
  • Clicked off H264/HEVC "hardware accelerated decoding" in the Media settings.  Btw, why are they two different settings with the same name but the first one give you options to select "Intel" or "Nvidia" or both.  That's confusing, not sure what to check on/off...  Clicked off both and restarted Premiere.
  • All clips show video in the bin but playback is painfully slow, basically unusable.
  • Reloaded 24.3, everything snappy and playing fine
  • You have got a problem with this version handling Sony's MXF AVC-L media files.
  • Surprised this bug can get through QC.  Sony AVC-L is a very popular file format... That said, probably a simple fix in a .xPremiere Screen Shot.pngPremiere Screen Shot 2.png release.

HP Z Book workstation

Windows 11

Media is on G-Raid Thunderbolt External Drives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI telecam2 - Thank you for your help troubleshooting, I really appreciate it.  Do you have any plugins installed?  Can you send me one of the files that shows up black in the new version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a few plugins installed, all transition effects.  Although, not of the plugins are used in my test project.  Here is a link to a clip that shows as black clip under 24.4.1.

https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/9e0b2a97-c32a-494f-82d1-98cd941b7acc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not answer my question as why there are two H264/HEVC harware accelaration settings in the Media settings panel?  Are those automatically set when installing Premiere Pro by looking at what graphic processor is on the computer?  FYI, my HP Zbook has a Nvidia RTX A3000 12GB Laptop GBU.  Driver version 538.18.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the file!  I imported it into 24.4.1 with no problems.  Can you try holding down the shift key and open premiere > select reset plugin cache and disable plugins.  Let me know if that does anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure but working on the field today.  I'll test it once i am back to the studio later.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the hardware acceleration settings.  The top one is hardware acceleration decoding or playing back material in Premiere Pro.  The bottom one is hardware acceleration encoding or exporting material.  Premiere can take advantage of your cpu and speed up tasks with H.264 or HEVC files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamieclarke I was able to quickly test this before I headed out.  I just chose the option to reset the plugin cache and all is working on the test project.  I'll test further later.

Votes

Translate

Translate