• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export captions as .vtt (WebVTT) files

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like the option to export closed captions as .vtt files. Some of my clients only accept this format, and doing it manually or with different software is either very time consuming or costly.
Idea Started
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
We are working on this.

We have completely redesigned the captioning workflow in Premiere Pro version 15.0. You will see many dramatic workflow improvements. Please update to the latest version.

Learn all about the new captions workflow here: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/user-guide.html/premiere-pro/using/working-with-captions.ug.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
69 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2023 Nov 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Francis-Crossman The link you shared doesn't mention anything about the status of support for exporting VTT files, and your post was nearly a year ago. Any update on this? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange that this takes forever, since the only essential difference is the word 'WEBVTT' in the first line of a file, plus the fact that all the time codes in VTT need to have a . instead of a , (in other words: a full stop instead of a comma).

VERY VERY VERY easy to build, many free online converters do this already.

Shame on you, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2023 Nov 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current best solution for me is to export SRT file into open source Subtitle Edit, make any adjustments and export VRT file. SE will also allow quick burning of open caption to video file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2023 Dec 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone and @Francis-Crossman , I am wondering what the current status is. I am aware that wheels at a corporation like Adobe turn slowly. But it's been a year since this has been marked as something that's beeing worked on. The Captions workflow in this is pretty good so far but the VTT export appears to still be missing.

Any chance to get an update on this?

Warm Regards,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm creating subtitles in multiple languages for a client.  The original video sometimes has English text or graphics on-screen, so my subtitles need to have a dark background to keep them legible on top of other writing/graphics in the original video.  SRT files do not allow us to control font formatting or shading options.  I need to export with VTT or these subtitles don't work.  My only option would be to hard-burn the formatted subtitles into the video and create a different video for each language, which is not a workable solution.  I need to know a date on when I can export VTT files, or need to change to a new video editing platform, since this will be an ongoing need for this global client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's 2024, I'm on version 24.1 and it still seems impossible to export subtitles to .vtt

Also, I don't see the date people posted, it all shows the same date for me, so it's hard to follow the discussion. Has this been a thing since version 14??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernie, make sure you go to the extra pages of this thread. Its long.

This Idea was ported from the old UserVoice system. All those posts have the same date when they were transferred. Newer posts have the correct date.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no webvtt, even on the beta? Meanwhile our hole online video output vor DRV (nearly 40.000 employees!) needs to be WEBVTT and all video editors work on adobe premiere but have to use some extra work around to deliver correct cc.
I would hate it, if they would switch to another editing software, just because of this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking to export to VTT and wondering if this has been added yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd_Morgan,

No VTT yet in the newest Release 24.3.0 nor the latest Beta I have - 24.4.0.30.

Here's a summary of this feature request that was submitted in 2018 and was ported from the old UserVoice system. As of today, it has 116 upvotes. The porting date (1/24/23) appears for all of the earlier entries. Dates after then are the actual date of a post.

The status as of today is "started," and there are 2 staff responses from right after the new captions workflow was introduced in PR 2021. @Francis-Crossman's reply is pinned to the top of this thread.

@TeresaDemel's reply still has an active link to a survey on .vtt support. It was updated at some point, so I think it is worth completing. It is IMPORTANT regarding feedback on styling and position. Some of you advocate for vtt export in its simplest form. Others want some option for exporting styling and position and vtt is one of the best options.

Teresa's post and the survey link are here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idc-p/13523195...

My previous comments, including the issue that there is no subtitle format export with positioning etc, are here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idc-p/13542214...

and, regarding "plain" vtt vs with styling and position, here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/export-captions-as-vtt-webvtt-files/idc-p/14162179....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2024 Apr 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we all wait, as Adobe continues to ignore us, my go to solution is to export an SRT file. I then use Subtitle Edit (open source) which can create a VTT output. It is better then holding my breath.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can export to VTT in DaVinci Resolve just fine. Just sayin'.

https://editingtools.io/guides/convert-resolve-subtitle-to-vtt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, importing VTT files is important. What's happening here? Anyone have workarounds? Last time I tried to convert to SRT it was not accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Subtitle Edit, it is free and open sourced program. Comes in very handy when captioning and working around Adobe slow response to our captioning needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't actually need Premiere Pro, as the edit is finished. VTT captions were done externally for DCP and now a burn in mp4 copy is needed. Does anyone know of another NLE that could marry the two?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 19, 2024 Jun 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is June 19th, 2024, and there is still no VTT support. What happened?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered that in OneDrive, CoPilot will create a transcript and VTT file from a video which can be exported.

Time to wake up Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you taken a look at SubTitle Edit. It is open source. It may work with your file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2024 Jul 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Has there been any follow up to this issue? My client's Wordpress video player only accepts .vtt files and my old work around using YouTube captioning is starting to get unreliable. Adobe Premiere Community, any suggestions for work arounds for generating .vtt caption files for your web videos?

Votes

Translate

Translate