• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Im trying to increase my comp size without effecting my duik rigged puppet and animation but it keeps breaking my rig? Is there away to only effect the size of the comp and not the stuff in it?

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rigged my character in duik and started animating. At one point during the animation the character goes past the frame of the comp and when I leave that comp to go to the main comp (Which is bigger the part of the character cut off in the animating comp is still cut off) I tried increasing the comp size but it keeps breaking my puppet. It normally shouldn't effect the puppet I don't think so I'm not sure what to do? Do I have to rerig my entire puppet or is there an easier solution?

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.47.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-03 at 9.51.24 AM.png

[Moved from the non-technical Lounge Forum to the Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 03, 2017 Nov 03, 2017

That's a limitation of DUIK's crappy expression code. It doesn't account for changes after the fact and applies hardwired values during setup. You will have to start over or work with what you have.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try simply collapsing transformations in your nested comp. Changing the comp size is going to foul up a bunch of stuff unless you use a script. Collapsing transformations is the right way to solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a limitation of DUIK's crappy expression code. It doesn't account for changes after the fact and applies hardwired values during setup. You will have to start over or work with what you have.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found an easy way that might work for you guys
Posting it down here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Crappy"? Why do you have to be so passive aggressive when it comes to every single reply on here?

If you think you can do better than DUIK, go for it! We can't wait to see how amazing your rigging script will be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So true. They always reply with that passive aggressive attitude, tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. And they are ALWAYS replying, do they have time to work and live out of here...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2023 Jul 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe Dev team are very very crap. I'm not sure if it is their fault or management, but their code is utter dogsh*t to put it mildy. This being one example, another being the fact that, even invisible layers are calculated unnecessarily during RAM preview. Why? You can't see these layers. Fixing this is common sense and will make previews 80% faster, but...they are too dumb to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[abuse removed by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem. I use "file/ scripts/ scale composition.jsx". my comp size increase, but my rigged puppet remain at the corner, not middle...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you'll need to go to the Advanced tab in the comp settings

And check the upper left corner as the pivot for resizing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You absolute legend! Thanks very much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution works great!

But -
what if you want to change the entire resolution of the comp with the character,
and have the character stay in the exact same position?

If you try to simply use the "scale composition" script -

your character goes bananas.

Well, I found a way!
Although It's a bit dirty
It's a VERY EASY solution, trust me

FIRST - SAVE THE PROJECT ON A DIFFERENT NAME!

1. Search for the structure named "S | Spine 2" - this is the treacherous one
2. Make the structure it visible.
3. "Add zero" to it via duik.
4. Make a new null, call it "SPINE 2 FORMER PLACE" or whatever
5. Make the new null visible.
6. Place the new null EXACTLY on the black circle with the dot of Spine 2.
Make the black dot be the center of the null. Eyeball it!
7. Use the "Scale Composition" script given by after effects.
(Your character is still bananas)
8. Now - Find the Null "Zero | S | Spine 2" in your composition.
9. Unlock & Select it.
10. Now, If you use the arrow keys (with shift if you want) to move "Zero | S | Spine 2",
it actually moves "S | Spine 2"!
11. Eyeball it so that the Spine2's black circle with the dot be exactly in the middle of the new null we created in step 4.

Viola! The character will return to normal and all your animation will stay in tact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2019 Nov 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yam_Tal,

Thanks for adding this.

I've just tried to do it but I think I'm missing a step.

Around step 6,7 and 8...

So after step 6. Do you have to lock the Null Layer, is there anything else you need to do with the Null before you use the Scale composition script?

Thanks in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one more thing to add to this amazing solution. Parent all father layers and none parented layers to a new null in order to move/scale it in the newly scaled composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2022 Sep 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the solution, unfortunately it didn't work in my case as I had to crop the animation differently, thought I'd share the solution that did in case someone finds it useful.
Took the entire animation and made a pre-composition. Then I used the "region of interest" tool to crop the composition as wanted and selected Composition > Crop Comp to Region of Interest.
Finally I executed the Scale Composition script that comes with AE (File>Scripts>Scale Composition.jsx)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2020 Jan 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found  a really easy fix for this problem.

step 1: open composition settings (ctrl+k), select the top left corner as anchor in the advanced tab and resize the comp to your needs

step 2: create a new adjustment layer and place on top of everything

step 3: add the "transform" effect to the adjustment layer. There you can change position, scale, etc and your rig stays intact.

Hope this helps someone. Cheers!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that was very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me! This is great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!! This saved my life, I was about to start tearing my hair out haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for this - very helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMAZING!!!! You are a lifesaver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2022 Jul 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works perfectly! Thank you!!!!! 😍🥳

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the previous suggestions were working for me,tranformation/continually rasterize was messing up the 3D workspace, so here was my fix if anyone wants it:

1) Make sure tranformation/continually rasterize is turned off on the layer your puppet is on and pre-comp it.

2) Collapse tranformation/continually rasterize the puppet layer inside the pre-comp.

3) Resize the pre-comp and adjust accordingly in your main comp.

Hope that helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2023 Feb 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*collapse transformation/continually rasterize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines