• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Imported Illustrator files are blank

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2019 Mar 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every object is on its own layer. Saved with a compatible pdf. Imported as All Acceptable Files, Composition - Retain Layer Sizes. All of the layers appear as blank. Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.21.19 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.21.01 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your AE file, so a save as and when the save options pop up make sure PDF compatible file is checked. That should solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick,

It has been checked every time. I originally had another artboard in the same project with other assets and never had these issues with those assets. I've tried re-saving as a new project but none of these layers will appear after importing. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Regards,

Courtney

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I selected Illustrator PDF/EPS sequence when selecting the file to import and it seems to have imported the files (although in a different format).Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 1.41.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is incorrect.

When you save a file in AI you get this option:

Screenshot_2019-03-18 14.07.17_GN1Wxs.png

Importing as a sequence with AI or PSD files is only to be used if you have hand drawn a bunch of animation cells like a traditional animator. That creates a video from a bunch of sequentially numbered files. If you have not checked Create PDF Copmpatible File After Effects will not recognize any of the paths in the AI file and you get a blank layer or comp.

You should take some time to learn about preparing graphics for video. It's not as simple as you think. Here's a fairly decent quick overview: https://www.austinsaylor.com/blog/illustrator-to-ae

Not everything was covered, but it should get you started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 19, 2019 Mar 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick Gerard​ You are correct about the settings, but if you would read properly, you find that this options was checked - not in the cleanest English, yet understandable: "Every object is on its own layer. Saved with a compatible pdf. Imported as All Acceptable Files ..."

RyanWing​ Could it be, that your artwork is simple not placed on the artbord, or the artboard is too small or something in this direction?

Also, make sure that your AI file is in RGB color space.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck!

*Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin got it for me - I had copied layers from a single artboard in a series to a new single artboard document but pasted in-place which set it down off the artboard - Since I had a solid background Layer, I didn't even notice I was not on the artboard! this comment prompted me to check. So simple. So stupid. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This solved a problem for me, too!  Nailed it, thanks so much for posting this!  It's silly things like this that always trip me up!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't have more than one artboard in the AI file. You may notice that one of your files appears, while none of the others do. That's because AE is reading that artboard instead of the one(s) you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2020 Mar 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saved me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the correct answer. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too! Different layers to keep it all separated, but all one artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So helpful, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct answer. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that's worked for m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though this is a one year old thread I never saw a definitive answer here. As I've had the same problem and have now found a solution that works for me I thought I would share. Just as Rick_Gerard suggested about making the Ai-files PDF compatible - that did not solve it for me. What ultimately solved it for me after hours of frustration and Googeling was to make the artboard in the Ai-file smaller so it only incorporate the graphics and doesn't have a lot of empty space (if that makes sense). I have no idea why that worked, almost seems like a bug - but hey I'm glad it works!  I hope this helps someone out there 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

This Solved my issue in AE 2020 as well. 

Had a logo with several layers on a larger artboard and everything was importing into AE but the screen was black.  I could see the individual layers in the composition and select them, but only the bounding box appeared, no graphic.  After reducing the AI artboard down to only encompass the area needed, they showed up when imported into AE as expected. 

Go figure.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020 Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Likewise, spent hours searching and simple issue of snapping all my layers to artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't thank you enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2020 Aug 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these solutions helped me. However after much try I figured that i had used textures in my AI file and upon removing them i was able to view my composition in after effects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has to be some sort of bug - maybe in AE. I'm experiencing this for the very first time since ver.1. I even created a PSD and PNG of the file and both of those come in blank. I've resized the artboard both up and down as well, checked the PDF compatible check box (which I believe is ticked by default) and still I don't see my eps logo. At this point I can see anything.

Very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed some odd behavior in AE this morning after updating my Nvidia driver yesterday.  I was trying to resize an illustrator file I was working with and reloading them in AE after the updates were saved.  All I kept getting was a black screen after the files were reloaded in AE.  Could be a driver anomaly.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm responding in case maybe someone is coming across this issue and looking for an answer. Even if, I figured the issue but not really how to resolve the issue.

Today, I've come across the same problem. After my Illustrator layer was imported in After effect she was empty. None of the layers was working after imported despite one. I'm using a lot of artboards to storyboard my animations, and I think the issue is caused by the number of artboards or something related to artboards.

I tried importing my assets in another Illustrator file with only one artboard: It worked perfectly fine.

I tried duplicating this artboard one time and then, import one asset to illustrator: It worked perfectly fine.Screenshot_1.png

I tried duplicating 10 more times. I multiplied the number of elements in the illustrator file on each artboard, then I tried to import only one element: same issue as mentioned before.Screenshot_2.png

As a temporary solution, you can always copy paste your elements in another Illustrator file, 
but it definitively looks like a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found you definitely need to make sure the Illustrator file you're importing has 1 artboard and all elements you want to keep separate must be on their own layer. If your AI file has more than 1 artboard, it only seems to import the first one. 

To split an AI file into mutliple files – 1 artboard per file – go to Save As > then check 'Save each artboard to a separate file'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines