Explorer ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello, i want to ask
when i using pin tool, and i scale the image, the pin tool make it broken
broken.png
like this one, i using pin tool, make the image make squishy movement
but when i scale it (i make the image come out like.. hmm i not sure waht its called, maybe popout?)
the scale was : enter > 0 >100%
then out > 100>125>0%

as you look on the image i post, pin tool make the asset damaged

is there any method to fix it?

thank you!

edit : and yeah forgot to ask, why some image have smaller area than it should when i using pint tool to them, like this one
(the area size only inside the yellow line)
make it perforated when i try to make it squishy
small area.png

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Have you tried increasing the Mesh "Expansion" value?  If edges of your source footage tear, increasing this value usually resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All distortion effects are sensitive to transform operations and the puppet mesh in particular. It always has to encompass the whole shape. Pre-compose and apply the Puppet stuff after you have scaled inside the pre-comps.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ah ic, so theres no other way than pre-compose
thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Puppet pin only works on a layer that has no transformation or distortion effects applied. Puppet pin works on the information in the first frame so if that  changes over time then the effects breaks. It's always been that way and it's that way with several other distortion effects. When in doubt or when facing problems you can't seem to solve, pre-compose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am guessing these are vector layers with the collapse switch turned on  ( next time please don't crop screenshot).

puppet does not work well with layers that are using this collapse switch. You can't change any of the default transformation parameters of these layers after you set puppet pins because it will break the puppet effect. What you can do is not use the collapse switch or not change the default transform. Otherwise you need to precompose and only then use puppet.

this is from the help files: Animating with Puppet tools in After Effects

Note:

Don’t animate the position or scale of a continuously rasterized layer with layer transformations if you are also animating the layer with the Puppet tools. The render order for continuously rasterized layers—such as shape layers and text layers—is different from the render order for raster layers. You can precompose the shape layer and use the Puppet tools on the precomposition layer, or you can use the Puppet tools to transform the shapes within the layer. (See Render order and collapsing transformations and Continuously rasterize a layer containing vector graphics.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried increasing the Mesh "Expansion" value?  If edges of your source footage tear, increasing this value usually resolves the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks! this one easy enuf to solves my problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

setting more expansion is definitely worth pointing out and can work to some degree, but as soon as your transform properties reach the mesh's boundaries, puppet will break again so take that into consideration. setting more expansion can also have an effect on the desired result and even more so if you are animating transform properties. essentially you are moving a layer inside a closed mesh (that is usually animated too). since the layer is collapsed, the mesh does not obey the layer's transform properties i.e the mesh does not adjust itself and grow, rotate, move with the layer - the mesh and the layer are kind of disconnected so this can result in all sorts of oddities.

that's the reverse render order which is introduced when using collapse/continuously rasterize switch: instead of effects and then transform, it's transform and then effects.

005.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved me from doing stupid stuff to solve this. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch, I used to avoid using puppet tool before trying your solution.
But now, you did save me from re-doing my animation just to fix tearing issue. 😍
I'm grateful to you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

youre literally the best i was going crazy bc of this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is it. Finally found the answer, thanks. I don't understand why the default setting is not set at a high enough exspansion value to prevent tearing. Why would anyone want their image to tear. I have been frustrated with this for years.

People that are not animation experts but who do all functions of production need clear and pecise tools.  Such a simple fix would make thimgs a lot easier. Adobe why not make your tools work the first time some tries it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines