• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Please migrate the stuff we install properly

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Revolutionary idea: Migrate all my scripts and presets to the updated version. It should not break every major update. All content gets left behind when the previous version is deleted, so why not migrate the scripts that I have installed automatically? It does so for all settings, but I keep having to reinstall my scripts and custom UI panels. Other way would be to have a folder somewhere that contains user scripts? Like in Documents/Adobe where there is already a folder?
Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I update my Adobe applications I would like them to look in the script and plugin folders and copy them over to the newer Aftereffects scripts and plugin folder. If you want this to a creative cloud where in as the product is syncing everything at the least sync the old plugins and the scripts to the newer Aftereffects. Even if there are places where the plugins and scripts might break but I at the least I will know and contact the developers about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello
You can put your plugins in the Common MediaCore folder !
Cheers
Antoine from Autokroma - https://autokroma.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a HUGE issue for us in a corporate environment where we don't have admin rights to our Application folders. We usually have a 2-3 month delay in adopting new versions (that's after the initial delay by our IT department to "test" the product) because explaining the nuances of all our scripts and plug-ins and how to set them up is extremely difficult to a help desk employee that has never opened After Effects before. Having those items migrate automatically with other settings would save us a lot of headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But then this tool that would copy plugins would need admin rights anyway... Best is to install plugins directly with admin rights in the Common folder !
And... don't update Adobe software to the latest version every year :--)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to start with, don't you need administrative rights to install an app??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to Migrate 3rd Party Presets from AE2020 to AE2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please. It is insane having to reinstall all again and again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add a setting in the preferences to define the location of folders: Scripts, User Presets, Plug-ins, ModifiedWorkspaces...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's amazing this is STILL not working in any of the programs. Some of the settings are migrated, but rarely all of them. Sure you can often find the old files and migrate them yourself, but the point of an automatic migration system is that we are NOT supposed to have to do that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same should be done for user custom presets, must migrate to the new version, or at least there should be an option to define a custom presets folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be amazing !!! 😄

I have to do it on 4 computers each time it take ages....

Same for all the settings from sync settings it never works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god yes! You'd expect something like this to exist already, but this is Adobe and they have no respect for their customers or their own software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I can't tell you how many times I have had to keep installing FX Console, among many others. I use lots of hotkeys with muscle memory and it really kills my flow when I hit some of my custom shortcuts and nothing happens. So annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate