• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

We wanted to update this thread that the issue was fixed with the release of 25.6. If you are still having this issue with the most recent Ps version, please start a new thread with your information so the team can investigate further.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 637 Replies 637
637 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jqqerry I merged your post back to the original bug report. This is the appropriate space for Photoshop general release bug reports. The more replies and upvotes a bug gets - the better visibility it has. Just because someone has not replied in 3 days is not an indication of inactivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry where is the original bug report? I want to make sure I'm following and upvoting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. We want to let you all know that we do see this and the team is activly looking into what is happening here.  The issue is that unless we can find repeatable steps that fail, it is almost impossible to determine where the issue originates.  With the myriad of system OS versions, plug-ins, external and internal hardware... without steps to reproduce it is very hard to know what to fix. 

Even if you see a fail time and again, we need to be able to dertmine why based on the steps/all other settings... the more we can see as far as steps and system info shares, we can find a pattern to then dig into the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a programmer, so this my not be the way to go. I don't know.

But something happened between 25.4.1 and 25.5.

Why not go back to 25.4, then one at a time add in the new code from 25.5
or .6.

When the bug shows up, you'll know which part has caused the hand tool bug.

If you have to, change one thing at a time and release it as an update. Let
the world tell you when it shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ex-photo printer because this issue isn't wide spread and effecting all users...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, one question is... are any of you with this issue using WinTab, and if so, have you tried Win Ink instead?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I find the settings for this, and I'll try it next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried this, Cory.

PS 24.6, Windows 10 22H2, Wacom Intuos Pro (drivers and FW current), nVidia GTX 1060 6GB.

With "UseSystemStylus 0" in PSUserConfig.txt, and Use Windows Ink clear in tablet properties, I do see the bug. (My original bug report is here 

With no PSUserConfig.txt file, and Use Windows Ink selected in tablet properties, I do not see the bug.

With no PSUserConfig.txt file, and Use Windows Ink clear in tablet properties, I do see the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I missed one combination, sorry:

With "UseSystemStylus 0" in PSUserConfig.txt, and Use Windows Ink selected in tablet properties, I do see the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert  Window10 22h2 latest studiodriver

PSUserConfig.txt UseSystemStylus 0

In wacom software, turn off "Window Ink" = Current Setting, And Buggy
In wacom software, turn on "Window Ink" = Wacom Pen Not Buggy, But Mouse Buggy

Also Tried Delete "PSUserConfig.txt UseSystemStylus 0"
But Mouse Same.

The important thing is that this bug is not just a wacom tablet pen. It's the same when operating with the mouse.

And The steps to reproduce this are very simple.

1. Operate the hand tool by pressing the space bar for approximately 0.5 seconds. (Like moving the image when you're working on it)

2. And if you repeat it about three times, it's sticky even when you take your hand off the space bar.

Very Simple. It's not an unusual process of intentional bugs, it's a natural way of behaving when we use Photoshop in our daily lives.

And in 24.6, Tablet doesn't show this bug very well. Compared to 24.5
So if you want to make this bug easier, use the mouse.
It's easily reproducible on the mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a one more  new Recrod video for reproduce this bug.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

I think it would have felt somewhat vague to record only the screen, calling it a vaguely sticky hand tool.
So I can add a keyboard mouse overlay so that I can observe exactly what actions I do and when. What I've done is not special at all and this happens almost 100%.

This is what a lot of people are going through right now. 

For your information, I did it with a mouse. I showed this bug as well without using the Wacom tablet pen, and it doesn't seem to have much to do with the window ink above.

@CoryShubert  Please deliver my video to the your team investigating this bug.

@kevin stohlmeyer I checked late. I just found out that you put it together. Yes you're right.
Admit that when threads are detached, they lose concentration. My new post on the beta forum was not bug reporting but the question of whether the beta team is aware of this. But you did a good job well. Also, it's only been about 3-4 days since I wrote a thread with all this stuff attached, but it's been about a month since 24.5 was released instead of 24.6.
I want you to know that this is not something I wrote a thread because I didn't get a quick answer in 3 days. If you miss the importance of this problem, it will be a long-term bug fix, and since many people's workflows are already breaking down, people who have Photoshop as a profession can't use this version at all, so you're strongly reporting it for fear that it'll be a meaningless release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry Thanks for record!!!! That's what I'm going through right now!!!! This is really uncomfortable!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your video shows exactly what is happening to me on both my MacBook Pro (macOS 13.4.1, M1 Pro) and Windows 11 machine, so I would assume it has absolutely nothing to do with Windows Ink. If there is any way I can help narrow it down, let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@monkey078 MacOS? interesting!  And I feel sorry that you're suffering from this, too.
I posted a YouTube link that I finally reproduce, but the view count is 8.
It's like I haven't opened it except for a few people reporting to this thread.
I even set up the keyboard and mouse overlays myself so that I can pinpoint this bug, but I don't think Adobe watches this video of this. pretty unfortunate news
Could you please record the bugs you're going through (like what I'm going through) like me when you're free?
If the video of the MAC user is released, I think this bug report will be more powerful.
It will be convenient to install the OBS mac version and record it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will this be fixed? I can't work. This is hell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe doesn't fix this bug in the next patch, I'll cancel the subscription and switch to another software. Something like that is a cheeky thing to do to the customer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw in another thread that some people say resetting the configuration will solve it. And it didn't work at all.
Even with a new Photoshop installation, it's the same.

I think it's only natural that I'm paying for Adobe every month, every year. That's the value of Adobe products.
But I don't remember using the program properly this year.
What is it?
Why aren't you fixing this right now? If the program was free for life, I would probably just wait without hesitation. But this isn't it................

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some somewhat bad news on my end. I recorded my screen with a blank document and, for the first time since the 24.5 update, the hand wasn't completely broken. It would still stick for a second or two, but nothing nearly as bad as usual. It still had the marquee tool glitch and the other graphical glitches, but the hand wasn't a big problem like usual. I will take another recording if it starts to really act up again, but this video won't show it. Looking at the footage also showed that it was registering a mouse click the entire time that the sticking was happening with the hand tool and the marquee tool, so it doesn't show when I'm actually releasing the button. If anyone knows of an overlay like Jqqerry used for macOS, please let me know.

Basically what is happening in the video that you can't see is that the marquee tool is getting stuck like the hand tool usually does. I release the left click (the button close to the pen tip in this case) but it doesn't release until I tap the drawing tablet again. This also happens with the trackpad and a bluetooth mouse with both tools. The video shows that the button is still pressed as indicated by the circle around the cursor, but I let go a second or two before the hand tool unsticks (a lot better than usual) and the marquee tool doesn't unstick until I tap the screen/click the mouse again. If you watch to the end, you can see when I click the stop button at the top of the screen to end the recording and then have a small clip afterward to show the extreme lag when drawing a marquee that I usually experience. It looks like my frame rate is dropping into the single digits, but nothing else in the system lags such as a YouTube video playing on a second monitor. It seems to only happen when moving around with the hand tool and using any shape of marquee.

I hope this helps and I'm also sorry for the delay. Google decided the notification emails I was getting for this thread was spam, so I didn't see them for a while. I will post another video when the hand tool has excessive stickiness again or if I can find an overlay to show current button presses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I forgot to post the link.

https://youtu.be/QK8l4p2pm8s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@monkey078 I use "Input Overaly" from Github for OBS Record.
Screen blinking looks more serious with your stickiness.
What is your mouse? Strangely, I can see the menus blinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CoryShubert Interesting news.
I'll just write the conclusion first.
As of this writing, this bug is fixed on this PC: (24.6)

What I did was repeat the preference reset ad infinitum. About 15 times?
And finally it works.

However, the strange thing is that out of the 10+ PCs I tested, this only worked on 4 of them, and the bug is still there.
And since the bug occurs 100% of the time, regardless of resetting preferences, even after a clean install of Photoshop, or a clean install of the Windows OS and a really clean install of Photoshop, it seems that a simple line of code in the default settings of the current Photoshop 24.5/24.6 is causing this bug, completely unrelated to Windows Ink or user preferences.

So what I'm saying is... "Yeah, resetting preferences may or may not help with this"

What is clear, though, is that the default settings for 24.5/24.6 as currently released on Adobe Creative Cloud appear to be problematic. In the process of forcing it to reset, some code is normalized, or at least temporarily appears to be normalized.

So I'd like the Adobe bug investigation team to focus on this.
"There is already a problem with 24.5/24.6 from the default settings, installation files"

I don't know what's causing the problem, but at least I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm configuring myself. I've reset, reinstalled, and reinstalled the Windows OS about 100 times.
I can't believe that such a simple line of code would create such a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @Jqqerry will pass this on to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JqqerryI think the menu blinking is YouTube compression messing with the video. I don't see that on my monitors at all. To answer you question about the mouse, I use the Cintiq pen mostly, but I also used the built in trackpad on my 2021 MacBook Pro and a Logitech M535 Blutooth mouse. On Windows I use the same Cintiq pen and a Logitech G203, but the graphical errors don't happen in Windows, only the sticking. the graphical errors happen whether GPU accelleration is enabled or not.

It's great to hear resetting the settings over and over solved the problem on some of your computers. When I have more time, I will try it on both of my systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem, and I rolled back to version 24.0, as advised by users in the same topics. This is a very terrible bug for work. Adobe, you should fix this as soon as possible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Shane307627622k7v  What...?
This is not a problem solved by a comprehensive guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate