• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Completely broken Hand tool (PS24.5) Hand Tool Sticking, sticky, not seeing mouse-up

Enthusiast ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug. Please don't move it to the Discussions tab.

And please don't merge into another unrelated thread. I will report a bug with this thread.

------------------------------------

I made a YouTube video using a keyboard mouse overlay to show what action I'm taking. I hope you can refer to refer to it.

https://youtu.be/Cle6dEgP5_Y

------------------------------------

I was disappointed that there were so many bugs that were not fixed in 24.5, but I was still trying to give it a shot.

However, this bug is pretty serious. Really...

Please see the video I attached.
If you watch the video, you will see that I am shaking the screen.
I'm not using a hand tool, it should release automatically, but that thing is sticky.

To release this sticky, pinned handtool, you'll need to make one more unconditional click.

Here's how I've organized them for your reference.

< What I can be sure of >

1. Window10 (Tested a total of 14 PCs)
  2. Use WacomTablet
  3. Not related to preferences at all (Especially not related to Spring loaded, Flick panning stuff things)
  4. I've tried all the known Photoshop troubleshooting methods and no improvement.
  5. Even reinstalling Windows does the same thing
  6. Only in 24.5 does this bug occur with certainty. I can't reproduce it at all in earlier versions.

I'm not sure about the >

1. Mac OS not tested
  2. I couldn't even test if it was a GPU company difference. I and my team all use NVIDIA

And while there are a few threads pointing this out, there doesn't seem to be a proper plan to fix it.

If this is not fixed in 24.6, 24.6 will be equally unusable as 24.5.

Also check out the links below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-lock-after-releasing-spaceb...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/hand-tool-won-t-let-go-of-image/m-p/1...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/24-5-impossible-to-use-with-wacom-intuos-on-...

(cjbutler 1/12/24: edited title from "not reverting to cursor" to "not seeing mouse up" to reflect latest focus on lost mouse-up as root cause, and not just a stale cursor setting.)

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

We wanted to update this thread that the issue was fixed with the release of 25.6. If you are still having this issue with the most recent Ps version, please start a new thread with your information so the team can investigate further.

Thanks,

Cory - Photoshop Product Manager

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 637 Replies 637
637 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Need to press ESC to get out of the temporary hand tool used with space bar. Super annoying. Impossible to work like this. Photoshop beta does not have this bug. I am on 24.6 that was updated today. Did not have this problem before today. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came to report just this. And it´s not only the hand tool, it's any combination of keystroke + mouse button.  Like, enlarge brush, pick color, etc. 

This is destroying my workflow, please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had Adobe take a look into this problem for me. They think it's a permission problem with the latest version of Apple (Ventura) so the only fix for me was to make a new admin account on my laptop and use photoshop on it. It works, but its inconvenient as my work is on my main login. But I have no choice. Hopefully this helps some of you. Adobe need to get in contact with Apple to fix this problem now and in the future. I shouldn't have to make a new admin account every time I update photoshop and my laptop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I (and my colleagues) work on Windows, so whatever the problem it's not this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can, try making a new account on your computer? See if it works 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 here as well. Happens in every update after 24.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to note that over in https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/some-ps-tools-keep-reading-wacom-pen-after-l... @CoryShubert  asked me to do a test, and I found that without changing anything at all on my system I can no longer reproduce the problem.

This is definitely looking like a hard one to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alanp6536080 I wrote this to the Adobe staff above.

So I'd like the Adobe bug investigation team to focus on this.
"There is already a problem with 24.5/24.6 from the default settings, installation files"

I don't know what's causing the problem, but at least I'm pretty sure it's not something I'm configuring myself. I've reset, reinstalled, and reinstalled the Windows OS about 100 times.
I can't believe that such a simple line of code would create such a bug.

This can only be my guess.
But the rationale behind that is that
1. Be able to reproduce bugs with or without Windows ink
2. Reproducible not only with Tablet Pen but also with a mouse
3. Reproducible even if Photoshop is reinstalled
4. Re-installation of OS can even be reproduced
5. However, if I force myself to reset the configuration several times, or more than a few dozen times, this bug will be solved.

So what I reasonably infer is that maybe a single line of code in the configuration of the release installation files themselves in 24.5 and 24.6 is causing the problem.
If this is a user's problem, at least the OS has been reinstalled, and if Photoshop is unconditionally installed in a clean state, you should never be able to reproduce that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a similar situation, it greatly affects the image processing speed of my company, we have several dozen PCs with this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried it and the error same as Ver 24.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is not isolated to just Invidia users. I'm running an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT and encountered the problem right after the most recent update.
For me, the sticking issue involves the hand, zoom, lasso, and eye dropper tools. Inconsistently the tools will remain active after release causing me to have to click again (sometimes multiple times) to get it to release so that I can continue working. I've climbed through the forums and tried several methods to resolve the issue with no luck. The only guaranteed "workaround" is to do my work in another software package. 
Please resolve this issue asap. I use Photoshop for many reasons but in this state is more of a hindrance than a help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-bugs/holding-mouse-left-button-down-gets-stuck-during-... 

I tried disabling PSUSerConfig, and enabling Windows Ink. As someone else suggested here. That seems to "solve" the issue only when using the wacom pen. Still, if I pan around the canvas with the mouse, then the bug presists as the mouse isn't using WinInk.

It is more of a bandaid rather than a fix. Hopefully Adobe figures this out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From 24.6 I went down 3 previous versions to don't have thtat bug. 
I was working and from one day to another : same bug even on older version
What is going on !!!? Without this working properly, photoshop is unusable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, on Windows, it only does it when I pan using my wacom pen but the bug does not exist when using mouse. Still very annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 02, 2023 Jul 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Win10 desktop PC, NVIDIA 1070Ti, Wacom Intuos 4 ; all have latest avail drivers/updates. Had to roll back to PS24.4.1 BUT the bug is still there [should I go back further?]. Not only when I am using the Wacom pen BUT ALSO when I am using ONLY a mouse (i.e., no Wacom involvement). I HAVE tried all of the suggestions mentioned in these threads and I've found no solution for me.

AND I want to add (something I've not seen mentioned in posts re this bug) I ALSO have the bug in Lightroom Classic (now 12.4 but I think prev rel too)! Pen OR mouse 'sticks/won't release'...maybe not as often/as much in PS but not sure as I do most of my editing in PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jqqerry , I was being driven insane by this too (first noticed in Scrubby Zoom and Rotate Canvas, tools I use constantly). I saw CoryShubert's note about in this thread and it actually worked for me (quoted below). Hopefully they'll give this a real fix soon though -- I don't know if enabling the Older GPU mode has any side effects.

"Go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and enable “Older GPU mode (pre 2016)” - Restart Photoshop. Does the problem persist?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RobbieLmnopqrst I'm reinstalling and using 24.0, so I'll try it next time.
But as I wrote above (and as the majority of others say), this has nothing to do with your options.
I've tested on various GPUs (Nvidia only, AMD Radeon doesn't know) and cleanly turned on the just installed Photoshop for the first time, so the bug is reproduced without touching any options, so there's an internal problem with the full release installation file itself. And it's not just about Windows. Some grateful MAC users have reported that this is being reproduced in MAC's environment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both 24.5 and 24.6 have this issue.
When will 24.7 be released with this fixed? Tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, next week, next month?
How much longer do we have to wait? I'd like to hear a definitive answer.
I don't know why it has become customary for users to install the full version and then downgrade if they have problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This makes me psychologically exhausted.
I don't know why I should have to go through this stress while paying for it. 
With every version, some bug causes it to crash, some bug makes the hand tools weird, some bug makes something unusable, and......
Can someone recommend me a stable version with few bugs like this?
I'm really tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nguyen Mau23434306fl9b  Yes. This bug occurs in 24.5 and 24.6, so if you want to be sure to avoid it, you should roll back to a version earlier than 24.5.

@mohameda24324359  I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Windows ink and PSuserconfig at all, because it's easily reproducible with a mouse, and it's not that tinkering with PSuserconfig fixed the problem, it's that tinkering with the options changed some behavior tied to specific code that made it look like the problem was "fixed".

@aurélienl26589931 
I actually experienced this bug a little less on Wacom in 24.6, and it was still 100% reproducible with a mouse.
I think people are focusing incorrectly.
This doesn't seem to be a single issue with tablets or mice.
I can reproduce this bug no matter what tool I use.

@DLBT 

If you're sure you've rolled back to a version prior to 24.5, try resetting your user settings once and restarting, and that should fix the problem.
The default installer/default preferences in 24.5 and 24.6 are what is causing and contaminating this bug, so we need to wipe them clean.

@com30846216qz1t 

I hope this is fixed soon, because some of the other bugs are reproducible when taking certain actions.
However, this is not something you can do anything about, as it is a problem with the full release installation and configuration of Photoshop itself.
I thought this would be a quick fix when it was first discovered in 24.5, but I'm surprised, it should be fixed in 24.7...

@B3c03 

Honestly, there are different bugs in each version. The important thing is how much you can tolerate. To be precise, certain bugs may not have a big impact on you, so you should look at the bug list to find a stable version that works for you and...
Personally, I think 2020 is the most stable version with some new features (21.0.3 to be exact).
And if you don't need the new features(Such as ObjectSelection or Select Subject things), I'm sure you'll be happy with the stability and lightning-fast speed of 2019, 2018, or even earlier versions of 2015.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and it's driving me nuts. I don't understand how every few months Adobe seemingly breaks something that is crucial to any artist's workflow and has worked previously for years... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reversed to version 24.1.1. For me it's the last working version before this was broken (plus the synthwave car intro is sick)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is driving me crazy. It makes working fast and in a fluid manner very difficult. As everyone and OP said, the hand tool becomes sitcky. The magnifying tool is also sticky. I release all keyboard shortcuts. I am not holding down any buttons on the mouse/pen, and the zoom or handtool are still there, moving the canvas around like nobodys' business. I need to Left Click several times to have this effect go away.

I am using a Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, latest driver (Driver 6.4.2-3). I have tried older versions of the driver.
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER also on latest Studio Driver (Version 536.40)

64GB RAM, 3.60GHz Intel Core

All drivers are up to date.

I have read through other threads. Tried resetting preferences. Tried reinstalling Photoshop after fully uninstalling it. Tried disabling Overscroll and Flick features. I reenabled Overscroll because it's a feature I need. Disabling features should not be the solution to a bug.

Adobe Please fix this bug. This happened in the past, and it was fixed. I don't get how the bug returned unless the same old fault code was reintroduced.

Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.4.1 is starting to have the same issue as well for me. Draw with about 6 clicks of the pen tool and then is just stalls out, sticks. GAH!  Might be going back another version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2023 Jul 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug seems to have been fixed in Beta Version: 24.7.0 20230628.m.2223 0770f83 x64
Using the mouse or pen (WinTab); panning and zooming seem to be working fine as it was back in Version 24.4.1. No more "stickiness". 

Votes

Translate

Translate