• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clip speed/duration not working properly in project panel/bins

Participant ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit videos which are shot at 60p, then slowed down 40% and edited into 24p timelines. Normally you can select all your footage in the project/bin panels and change the speed/duration before editing.

But now there's a weird bug after the latest update where clip speed/duration is greyed out (and keyboard shortcut doesn't work) on most clips in the project/bin panels (it still works as expected when selecting clips in a timeline).

The only clips that seem to work are .MOV files with no audio, or mograph preset clips.

Workaround is to select one of the above clips at the same time as the others (ex. place an audio-less .MOV into the footage bin and select all) and then speed/duration works as expected. Bit annoying but at least it's an easy and quick workaround. Hopefully the bug gets fixed soon.

Version 24.3.0 (build 59)

Windows 10 Pro 22H2 19045.4355

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Editing and playback , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've not encountered this bug – in fact this is the first time I've learned you can actually apply speed changes in the bin – learn something new every day!  But generally for the conform workflow you're describing, I would propose that the superior process (and the one I use all the time) is to interpret the footage at the preferred frame rate before editing.  To do so, you select (or batch select) the 60p clips in the bin, right-click and select Modify > Interpret Footage, and change the frame rate from the file's default to 23.98 or 24 or whatever rate you need.  This avoids a lot of the quirks and skipped frames that occasionally crop up using speed changes.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interpret Footage was ... according to engineers ... designed for cadence changes. It is not the process recommended for nearly all standard time changes. It has issues with everything from creating proxies on.

They recommend the Speed/Duration process, as the OP used, for most speed changes.

And this has been discussed here and elsewhere many times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  To clarify, I'm describing how I use it for, let's say, a 24p show that has slow-motion footage shot at 60p that is meant to only ever be used slowed to 24.  When I need to make add'l changes to speed, or I have, let's say a show where I'm using high-frame-rate material both at its original speed and a slower speed, I'll leave it interpreted at the original speed and just make speed changes where I want them.  

Yeah the proxy thing is really irksome.  I'm still not sure I understand why the proxy workflow can't just treat the proxy exactly the same way it treats the oiginal clips, when it comes to interpration, etc.  But I know that's another thread.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea I've tried that workflow as well but as Neil says, it creates problems in weird places. I find playback on speedramping in the timeline is wacky and inaccurate until rendering for example, jogging quickly through source clips also doesn't always behave properly, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using percentages in Speed/Duration is the only way to get really predictable results in my experience. You all may have a lot more experience day to day with this than me, totally understood.

But from my experience and "experience" here, and from engineer's comments, percentage is really the more solid way to get speed changes to simply work.

In the end, I'm all about the practical. What works ... works.

Votes

Translate

Translate