Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Magenta Color Shift in Arri Alexa 35 Footage

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently editing a video utilizing footage from the ARRI Alexa 35 sho in LogC4.  I have applied the ARRI LUT conversion to Rec709.  When I am color-grading the footage and the clip is still, it will look like how I color-graded it, BUT when I hit play to watch the clip, it will tint the entire frame a slight pinkish/magenta. Once I hit pause, it will go back to what I originally color graded. I tried exporting a clip, to see if it renders out the shift, and it does. I attached a photo showing this shift.  In the photo, the image on the left is from a rendered out frame of the video, while the photo on the left is what the color grade looks like on a paused timeline. Any ideas what could be causing this?  I do not have two LUTS applied and my color space is Rec709.

Thanks,

Cratin

Adobe Premiere Pro 2024 Version 24.1.0

Windows PC with 24-Core 3.8GHz Threadripper

NVidia GeForce RTX 3080

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Color , Editing and playback , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Hey, everyone!  It looks like updating the NVidia driver might have done the trick.  I'll drop back on if anything goes awry between now and the finish of the commercial!

Votes

Translate

Translate
20 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two LUTs applied? Um ... specify what they are, and how applied/why, please?

Next ... @Fergus H might be nice to have in on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it should read that I do NOT have two LUTS applied.  Only the ARRI LUT that takes it from LogC4 to Rec709. I was trying to rule out a few things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh. And where are you applying the LUT? Settings area for clip CM, or in Lumetri's Basic or Creative tabs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am placing the LUT into the Lumetri Basic area. If I turn that adjustment layer off, and let's say add a different adjustment layer with only saturation changed in Lumetri (no LUT applied), it still does the same weird pink shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply to the clip, and not via the Adjustment Layer, does it go pink?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it still presents the weird color shift when I hit play on the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure, on the Wrench icon of the Program monitor, make sure you have 'High Quality Playback' checked and the two items, under Playback and Paused Resolution are the same, preferably on Full.

MyerPj_0-1704767431853.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, both on full.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2024 Jan 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cratin,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We will get it checked. Have you tried toggling the option for High Quality Playback for Program monitor & checked if it's making any difference to the tint? Also, if possible, please share a download link for the sample media with which you are experiencing this issue. It will help us to diagnose the issue properly.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Cratin, 

I am trying to track this down. I have a ARRIRAW Log C4 clip from an ARRI ALEXA 35 that I am converting to Rec 709 in the Effects Control Panel. I have made color adjustments, in Lumetri, to the clip in a Rec 709 timeline.

When I play it back, it appears correct. I am not seeing the pink shift. Have you tried turning off Display Color Management and see what happens?

I am on Windows/NVidia/Pr24

Let me know more specifics and let's get to the bottom of this.

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have tried turning off "Display Color Management" and it still did it. It doesn't happen with other footage I bring in.  Only ARRI footage that I have worked with recently.

Win/NVidia Geforce 3080/Pr24

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for popping in Eric ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible for you to share a clip with us? Is this happening with all Arriraw LogC4 clips from the Arri Alexa 35 or just a recent batch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, in addition to Eric's advice, I would suggest you check what Nvidia driver version your system is using. Another member of the team - with a very similar computer configuration to yours - was unable to duplicate the problem you're seeing. Their system is using Nvidia driver 536.40. 

If a driver update doesn't help, sending us a sample file would be the next step. We do have an ALEXA 35 in our test lab (ok, in it's my attic home office right now!) along with several other ARRI cameras and we've not yet been able to duplicate the issue you're seeing. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me go see what NVidia driver I am using, and I'll check back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently running Ver. 536.99.  I'm going to update the driver and see if anything changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, everyone!  It looks like updating the NVidia driver might have done the trick.  I'll drop back on if anything goes awry between now and the finish of the commercial!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update! That's great info. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting. I'm continually amazed what poor drivers can do ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Cratin24 - was this footage shot in ArriRAW or ProRes? I know the Alexa 35 puts ProRes in an .mxf format as well so can be hard to differentiate.

I'm having the exact same issue as you, except using a an Apple M3 Max MacBook Pro, and working with ProRes footage shot on an Alexa 35. 

Votes

Translate

Translate