• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Morph cut - Analyzing in Background never completes

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple headshot cutting to the same head, same everything a few seconds later.

All other transitions work find. I try morph cut and see 'Analyzing in background.' Never see sign of progress - should I see it chewing through frames somehow?

I have gone to project settings. Tried both rendering settings. One thing - When I do GPU acceleration my still frames look like garbage - example:

http://www.screencast.com/t/rPiWL6yL

Software acceleration looks fine. No idea if these items are related.

Have run through all preferences. Don't see anything that might be turned off. BTW - working with MBP 15" late 2013. Latest OS.

Bug Needs More Info

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Hello mbpm, and community,

I'm Kevin from support, one of the moderators here. Thanks for the bug report.

I apologize for the issues this effect sometimes causes. A product team member would be better at explaining this, but in my own experience using it, it's not a new effect and was created when certain workflows didn't exist yet. Reading through here, nesting can assist with legacy scaling issues, and transcoding can help with other unforeseen issues. The thread contains some other really g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 15, 2024 Aug 15, 2024

Hi @wisaq,

I read that you are having trouble with the morph cut effect. Please provide the community with more information so we can help. I'm sorry for the frustration. You can take steps to ensure the effect works much better, such as using a simple background, short clips, and avoiding scaling with clips vs. sequence settings (choose to nest). I hope the ideas help.

See:

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to turn all of mine into nested subsequences.   This seemed to work.    Annoying, but works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same sequence, it works in 2023 version, but not in 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 05, 2023 Nov 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I never had this issue again since Premiere Pro 2023.4. Now I'm on 2024. Guys, just update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working, at least sometimes. Would be great if we saw the reason for it NOT working. Just keeps analyzing. Nesting (they are nested multicam clips) some more just produces  something like "accessing clips not possible".

At least the horrible playback was fixed from yesterday's update to today's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as soon as I'd posted that my Morph cut refused to work. Yeah, in 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2023 Nov 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!

That's painful. Period. Been there done the screaming at the monitor ...

While most of us users don't have the issue, or if we do, it's like one build or build series, it's a HUGE hassle when you do. For example/data, I only had this problem with one specific build a couple versions back, Drove me NUTs it did ...

But not since. No clue why some get it, many don't. Wish I did!

Yet some users still get this ... just ... wowza. 

The only things I can suggest help some with this issue, but cetainly not all. And may be worth trying for those reading this thread if they haven't already ...

1) Use Morph on relatively 'short' clips, 10 seconds of sequence time or less. I personally try to stay under 5. Which means judiciously choosing what needs stabilization, just doing those bits. Cutting clips into multiple sections at times, maybe even resizing the in-between to match the Morphed clips to either side.

2) When you gotta do long bits, like handheld "reality" shots, get experience with Morph's controls, so you both a) allow some level of motion to pass through, and b) set the type of stabilization applied to the clips.

That second part is crucial for many users ... learning how to modify the settings in Morph to get adequate service, but still getting through the clip analyzation being finished.

And ... 

3) as soon as you have a clip or clips finished analyzing, immediately do a full Render & Replace on the sequence! That way further playback is 'simple' for the computer, and crucially, you don't risk Premere losing the analyzation data ... which it can and will eventually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, now it seems Morph cuts have stopped working altogether great. Now I have "anaysing in background" across all cuts that worked fine before the update and I can't deliver. Rolling back... 
Edit: this concerned certain clips that worked before. Switching multicam clip perspective, I got some new morphs to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I look for the "convert to master clip" tick box, there's one that says "convert to source clip", but I can't tick or untick it. Is there another way?
Thanks,

Josh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They removed "master" from their lexicon for "modern" reasoning. It's now all "source", which if you think about it, in the use it gets, is more accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I literaly have it in 2024. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTH

If you apply morph cut only to one transition, wait to analyze, it does it's job, very very very slow (20-60 seconds on a mac m1), but it does it's job.

If you apply it to multiple clip at once, it will analyze the last one added and all the rest will remain at analyzing in background.

It will get stuck if you other things so the only way it works for me is one by one and wait for it to analyze.

The feature is broken and won't probably get any fixing since it's over a decade old. 

This is why people switch to resolve!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found sometimes, it just takes really, really long. I left my workstation out of frustration and upon my return, the morph was done.
I don't understand why this seems unimportant. An excellent tool to make interview cuts less obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morph cut is great when it works.  More than half the times I try to use it the program fails to analyze.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not an expert here, but after many failed attempts, I ran the clip through Handbrake---changing the encoding to H.264 and setting the FPS to match my sequence (24). Working now.

NOTE: For really stubborn clips, I play the clip in a separate player and record that playback using Windows video capture (Win-Alt-R). That has always worked...assuming I can accept the quality of the capture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not working  (just analyses in background forever) as of Match 1st 2024- so that's at least eight years now. I don't mind things not working actually - it's complex, but for Christ's sake tell us it doesn't work and not to bother with it and then we won't waste time on it ever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The sequence needs to exactly match the source video, otherwise it might cause problems. It can be pretty annoying but it works - at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Issues seem to have resolved for me with the latest updates. I don't have to nest sequences anymore with the latest versions.  I know it says "analyzing in background" but I now always wait with the playhead over the morph until its done analyzing, because I don't quite trust it yet. 😄   But it only takes like 30 seconds to a minute. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just read one comment in here that said it might be and Issue with file size and/or being a render issue sice the morph cut was being applied to the 'same clip' (thats the point - haha)....BUT they did suggest, essntially doing a render and replace of the clips on the timline and then re-aplying the morph cut. Which is a solid idea, however, I was having the same issues as you, I was about to 'render and replace' but I had to FLATTEN the clips cause they were in a multi-cam sequence!!! I flattend, applied the morph cut and it worked as we've all come to expect....so...yeah....doesnt seem to work on multi-cam/nested clips.  -Peace

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

My typical use of it is during an interview to cut out stumbles or remove asides and it isn't in a place where I would normally cover with b-roll. So very little changes in frame. And I won't even try if the person's head isn't essentially in the same position. So it's the perfect way to use Morph Cut, in my estimation.

While I feel I've tried all sorts of methods to kick the Morph Analyzer into action to no avail, there is good news. I sort of dread updating my Premiere, but I did... it sort of did it without my permission. In any case, Morph is now working better for me than it ever has. So maybe they're trying to address the concerns.

Thanks for reaching out.
Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sort of dread updating my Premiere, but I did... it sort of did it without my permission.

By @Tom34127479bu9o 

You can turn that off in the Creative Cloud app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well i'm using premiere pro 2024 [version 203.0 (build 59)] and still have to uses every tsingle tip in this thread to get it to work. and sometimes it still doesn't and i have to use some other meathod of transition. so it's clearlyt still buggy and not fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 09, 2024 May 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an enormous thread and I don't have the time to review the entire conversation, but...  I'd suggest transcoding your source clips for the morph cut to an all iframe format like the appropriate flavor of prores rather if the original clips are an mpeg format like mp4 where each frame is not discreet...  Happy to go into more detail of my thinking on this if anyone's interested.  I almost always transcode my source material to prores or at least create prores proxies...  and never see this problem..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been 6 years and this is still the only workaround that worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nest the top clips you want to apply the morph cut to, inside the nested clip apply the morph cut - this is a workaround that shouldnt need to be made - Adobe have had almost a decade to fix this and they haven't - why are we paying so much when they don't iron out bugs like this a decade later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2024 Jul 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello mbpm, and community,

I'm Kevin from support, one of the moderators here. Thanks for the bug report.

I apologize for the issues this effect sometimes causes. A product team member would be better at explaining this, but in my own experience using it, it's not a new effect and was created when certain workflows didn't exist yet. Reading through here, nesting can assist with legacy scaling issues, and transcoding can help with other unforeseen issues. The thread contains some other really great advice.

I highly advise you to read the documentation:

See this blog post: https://adobe.ly/3SfBDiD

See also the user guide: https://adobe.ly/3SfBWtN

This thread really lacks details about people's systems, media, and workflows. If you are experiencing trouble with the effect, please provide full details about your system, the media, and the workflow you use so that the team, Adobe Experts, and other community members can better assist you.

I hope that a product team member can chime in with more details.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate