• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2023 slow and sluggish compared to 2021

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions are so slow on Premiere Pro 2023.

Hitting space to play the timeline can take around 2 seconds for the video to start playing. Trying to change any values under Effect Controls is also much slower.

Ironically, when I made proxies (Cineform Low Quality), the performance got even worse.

I have tried:

• Clearing media cache
  • Using the latest Beta version (slightly better, still bad compared to 2021)
  • Disabling & Enabling CUDA
  • Turning playback quality to 'high'
  • Different proxy types
  • Removing & reattaching the proxies
  • Scouring the forums and the web in search for answers

Sadly nothing has helped yet.

Like few others, I have also noticed it not using the GPU as much as it is using the CPU.

My computer specs:

• Nvidia GeForce 2080
  • 128GB DDR4 RAM @ 3400mhz
  • intel i9-9900k CPU

The fact that Adobe is also removing older versions from the Creative Cloud means that I cannot use PPro 2021, as Media Encoder no longer works with it as it was removed. It claims it's uninstalled.

This is very frustrating and I am very close to cancelling my subscription.

Bug Unresolved Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Hi,

This thread is getting to be a catch can for all performance-related issues. Many of them are not related to one another. The community can't seem to help the variety of performance issues some of you are having. Sorry for the frustration.

I advise you to create a new post with concise details about your system and media rather than generically complaining about performance. Using the format given in the pinned post, How do I write a bug report? Kindly write up your bug report and post tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
136 Comments
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem, black screen when I do a cut or ripple delete and sluggish interface. I don't know why they are claiming that they have been working in better performance in the timeline, with is the oppositive, this version is WORST than the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a nightmare but a good reminder to be at least a year behind on Premiere upgrades. Be on the cutting edge not the bleeding edge of technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid's the standard for TV and film but not so good for multi format content creation. Definatley worth the effort to learn career wise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice "shaund20095421"....

I dont know how old y'all are but I have about 35+ years into my career....have been editing since 3/4" tape was the major and preferred format.... ...less editing these days as my career has morphed, but I still edit and enjoy it.

From day one, when a new thing called "NLE" came around (very low rez proxies, working with linear tape machines, requiring a final assembly of basic dissolves and cuts, but having a digitized and flexible EDL was THE BOMB!), I have never wanted to be "on the bleeding edge" when it came to updating software because there were ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS issues....issues with drivers, video video cards and general "brokeness" when new stuff came out and I was ballsy enough to try to go for it.....and jobs wont wait because the software fails.

I made a habit of staying "behind the times" as well as having a complete sled backup so if one "system" failed software wise for whatever reason, swap drives and you are back in business. Back then , actual revisions of software were spaced out by many months or even years. You had to budget for them because you bought the updates. Until you did you could use your software pretty much for infinity. And when the software revision came out THERE WERE  (usually) ACTUAL GREAT ADDITIONS AND IMPROVEMENTS you WANTED and NEEDED...so you placed your bet, rolled the dice.....WHEN YOU WANTED TO.

A guy could stay on one version of Adobe Premiere for a few YEARS and not "upgrade"......ask me how I know. My systems would run fine aside from the occasional HDD failure requing the sled.  The only problem came when Windows had to be "upgraded".....or if I got budget to upgrade the computer itself.
Over the years I have fallen victim to the "cloud" mentality where updates come every other day for both Windows and my apps (we used to call them "programs" in the olden days). For the most part they have been "ok" but rarely have I seen features added that made the risk of updating worth it......thats my use case and I know others may see valuable updates where I do not....but to me it feels like Adobe has just been "updating" for the sake of shaking things up. And I don't care for that.

But getting lulled into the "everything will be ok-- just keep ugrading!" mentality like I have, I have fallen victim. And I have learned.  

I have revised my attitude (especially since this latest Premiere debacle) am now perfectly fine with my "outdated" version I am running now.......and could work like this til I die.  Problem is, Adobe will stop supporting it and FORCE "updates" in order to get any support when there are any issues or questions. And dont get me started on how, if I quit paying, my job files become useless til I pay again. Thats another rant entirely.

So in other words, its kind of like forced obsolescence for the sake of keeping their product "relevant".   

And we are paying for it.....just consider this forum thread alone...how many man hours have been spent on dealing with Adobe-created problems?  We are now effectively Adobe's emplyees, testing and troubelshooting the product we buy for them.

Unfortunately the old dogs like me are dying out and the young guns are perfectly accepting of having to tinker with their "apps" to make them work well or work at all every couple months....spending as much time "upgrading" (or in the recent cases here, FIXING) their "programs".

The only thing I would say is better than the old days is that a rollback is not as hard as it used to be.

I have Davinci Resolve and am slowly trying to teach this old dog new tricks.....but the Premiere/Photshop/AfterEffects workflow is so engrained in me, its hard to change when you JUST WANT TO EDIT.

Ok, off my soap box for now. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2023 Jun 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omg I am not the only one! The lag is just ridiculous. It starts out fine and then 10-15mins into editing the UI just chokes on every command. I had better results on 23.0, but 23.4 makes me want to pull my teeth out. All the bells and whistles features are pointless Adobe unless the software doesn't work properly in the first place. Please sort it out. 

PC
RTX 3090
128gb ram

5950X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I will look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2023 Jun 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needed to be said and thank you for saying it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im so impressed with your ability to stay so calm with these people. You shouldn't have to jump through this many hoops just to use the program. You also shouldn't have to be a better troubleshooter than the people working at adobe which most of us unfortunately are now. This is like if people typed in Microsoft word and the letters came out wrong or not at all. Then after MANY hours on the phone with microsoft they said that there is no solution.  I really hope you find a solution my friend, I had to recently restart a project without multicam sequences just to edit my files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ecaxtly facing the same issue, been editing a 2 hours tv show with the older version of premiere pro and i never had any issue, but after updating to the latest one, cant even change the text on the project file. it freezes and pops out a low memory exception error message 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh man me too. 

PC

RTX 3070

64gb ram DDR4 3000

Intel core i7 13700k

Mod note: Edited for content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

This thread is getting to be a catch can for all performance-related issues. Many of them are not related to one another. The community can't seem to help the variety of performance issues some of you are having. Sorry for the frustration.

I advise you to create a new post with concise details about your system and media rather than generically complaining about performance. Using the format given in the pinned post, How do I write a bug report? Kindly write up your bug report and post that here in the Bugs forum so that your issue can be triaged directly.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate