• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2023 slow and sluggish compared to 2021

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actions are so slow on Premiere Pro 2023.

Hitting space to play the timeline can take around 2 seconds for the video to start playing. Trying to change any values under Effect Controls is also much slower.

Ironically, when I made proxies (Cineform Low Quality), the performance got even worse.

I have tried:

• Clearing media cache
  • Using the latest Beta version (slightly better, still bad compared to 2021)
  • Disabling & Enabling CUDA
  • Turning playback quality to 'high'
  • Different proxy types
  • Removing & reattaching the proxies
  • Scouring the forums and the web in search for answers

Sadly nothing has helped yet.

Like few others, I have also noticed it not using the GPU as much as it is using the CPU.

My computer specs:

• Nvidia GeForce 2080
  • 128GB DDR4 RAM @ 3400mhz
  • intel i9-9900k CPU

The fact that Adobe is also removing older versions from the Creative Cloud means that I cannot use PPro 2021, as Media Encoder no longer works with it as it was removed. It claims it's uninstalled.

This is very frustrating and I am very close to cancelling my subscription.

Bug Unresolved Locked

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Hi,

This thread is getting to be a catch can for all performance-related issues. Many of them are not related to one another. The community can't seem to help the variety of performance issues some of you are having. Sorry for the frustration.

I advise you to create a new post with concise details about your system and media rather than generically complaining about performance. Using the format given in the pinned post, How do I write a bug report? Kindly write up your bug report and post tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
136 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

3.8 Ghz quad-core intel core i5

Radeon Pro 580 8GB

8 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 26, 2023 Feb 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was about to make a post but decided to look up if somebody else is with the same problem.

It's like everything is taking more time. Deleting/moving a clip/layer take about 2 seconds to respond. I've been checking my GPU/CPU/RAM usage and its very low, but the UI is very laggy for no reason at all. 

Right now I'm working in a very light project but all the interface is laggy, specially if you want to move a clip or make a change in lumetri for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So...let me get this straight....
No issues with "the drivers" on my machine for really years now.....

But now Adobe wants me to start randomly trying new drivers because the latest version of their software is broken?
I should potentially break my machine for 22 and below in an attempt to "stay up to date"?

With as many people on the web complaining about this, and seeing as Adobe tests "upgrades" before they roll them out (right??) with crivers etc I have a hard time belieing this is a prudent way to go......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep!
Version 23.2 here.
Work with Adjustment Layers with Lumetri adjusts seems impossible.
It looks like 10 fps playback preview or less.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solutions regarding this issue??

I have an Imac i9

- 64gb RAM

- Radeon pro Vega 8GB

It is a powerful machine and I didn't have any problem with v2022, also working with ProRes proxy.

I'm having huge problems with speed performace inside premiere production.

Everytime I switch between projects premiere production gets really slow and I need to constantly close and reopen projects to get better performance but then after a short time the issue come back... It is frustrating and makes Premiere pro 2023.1 unsuable.

Please we do ask for an update to get this problem ASAP!

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marti,

Can you try updating to 23.2? I believe that will solve this issue. It's a bug fix.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using multicam on 2023 and the lag was making it almost unusable. Sometimes timeline wouldn't stop playing, had to crash out of program to stop. I seem to have found a solution which is working for now. I lowered the amount of set RAM available for Premiere to 44GB out of 64GB. Think I may have had it too high. Also keeping an eye on zoom handles in program monitor and set scratch disk to separate drive. Resetting preference files also helped for 30mins or so before problem came back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to update to a new mac with the M1 processor.  That fixed the issue using premiere pro 23.2 but now there is a loud buzzing noise which i will post in a new chat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar issues. Just upgraded from PP2022 to 2023 and experience horrendous lags. I bring the same project into 2022 and all is fine. This is very disappointing Adobe. This version should not have been released like this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This version should not have been released like this. "

But WHY?!?!  It is an "UPGRADE".  LOL

I am frustrated too.....I have never been a fan of forced or too-regular updates as I think they do not allow for enough testing and such BEFORE release.

Dont get me wrong --- if there is a legitimate BETTER tool or new featire that I actually want, it may be worth the pain.

But seems like they just redo existing things/rearrange stuff for the most part.

I used to be a wiz at WORD --- years ago...but they move/change stuff so often now, for the sake of "new", I cannot keep up.

The sadder thing here is not that I am old fogoey set in hisways and who doesnt like change, its that companies like Adobe DONT CARE....it is a revenue and marketing generator for them to be in constant flux.  SIGH.

Mod note: Edited for content. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was on PP 2022 for awhile, I had to pop over to Avid for the last 6 months for a project and while I like Premiere infinitely more... at least AVID works, even if it is clunky {abuse removed by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating to v 23.2 did solve the issue! Was running a lot smoother than 23.1, hopefully this will sort the problem for good. At the moment I switched to anothe edit suite with mac studio M1 and no problems at all.

Thanks for the advice Kevin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2023 Apr 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also have the same problem. 2023 Premiere is a mess.

Considering buying a new macbook just to be able to finish my projects as heard they still work okay with premiere 2023.

Super frustrating that my fairly decent machine is now a nightmare to use due to the lag. Again similar to another poster I experience a delay from clicking play, from selecting a different part of the timeline, a delay in general after many simple tasks.

Especially as soon as there is a after effects dynamic link or a lumetri involved everything gets much worse performance wise. I think it could be a GPU thing? 

i9-7900X CPU
96GB RAM
1TB NVME SSD
4TB SSD
Geforce 1080GTI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere 2023 doesn't work with some PCs I'm afraid. I took my project back to the 2022 vsn with the below and it works perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_5kdeXEbdQ&t=180s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, OP here back after a few months. I just tested the 23.4 BETA with a new project and it's still slow and underperforming. What on earth, Adobe? Why is this so hard for you to fix?

Ironically, my proxies are making things slower on 23.x - the same proxies in 21 are working beautifully. What a joke

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

23.3 it's seems more slow and sluggish than 23.2 with Lumetri and Adjustment layer.

Anyone else with this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems like we would be hoping ADOBE would provide help versus depending on other paying customers to figure out what is clearly a broken "new update".

And as far as "poor quality drivers".....well, the same drivers running 21 and 22 JUST FINE on my PC dont work for 23.....how is that a driver issue?

I hope you have solved your issue by now. The issue is not affecting all users so that is why I asked for more info. I always ask people having similar issues to try the latest studio drivers as a test. I did not know you were running the same drivers on an earlier version. Sorry about that. If you are still facing such issues, please file any bugs here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 100% feel the same way. I can't believe how slow it is! And I'm on a very powerful computer.. 

32GB Ram

3.7 Ghz 6-core Intel Core Processor
Radeon Pro Vega 48 8GB Graphics Card

And over 600GB's of internal hard drive space available...

Is this really not enough to run the program I need to use for work day in, day out smoothly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a beefed-up pc and experience the same debilitating performance. It gets worse and worse as I add videos and sequences to the project file.

Ryzen 9 5950x 

RTX 3080TI

128GB DDR4 RAM

Program and cache on SSD.

What more do I need??? Why are the thumbnails so slow to load? In the past couple months, everything on my pc has been slow. Is it the geforce experience? I can't figure out WHY THIS IS HAPPENING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isnt our machines. I built my (very rpobust) PC several years ago and no issues at all up til the latest "upgrade".

If all is fine on one version, then magically it all tanks with the next revision, IT IS THE REVISION.

I rolled back to the older one and all is perfect again.

Not our machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 14, 2023 May 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried 23.4? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started a new project on 23.4 and have gotten through the first segment with no real issues. I did have a couple times where I had to restart using Canon raw footage. But, a quick restart of Premiere not the system fixed it both times and then no issues with ProRes after color round trip from Resolve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, I've got to say after a couple of days the issues seem to be gone 🤞 Finally!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to agree with you but... https://vimeo.com/833819735/9d4248ab35?share=copy

Same project open on both 2022 vs 2023. I can't beleive i'm about to start looking at DaVinci. 🤦‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that sucks. I'm not experiencing that anymore on 2023.4 Clearly that's a big problem and not usable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate