• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Decode 100% using AMD graphics card

New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, lately I've been having a really annoying problem when I go to edit videos and I can't stand looking for solutions anymore.

The problem: EVERY time I cut a video and bring it back to layer with another moment, the video decode reaches 100% usage and my preview drops to 1fps or less... example: I have illustrated the same take at different times.

Sem título-1.png

3.png

Another thing that happens because of this problem is that it also takes me twice as long to render a video when it gets to the moment where I made this change.

I've never had this kind of problem before with older versions of Adobe Premiere, so I don't know if the problem comes from an AMD video driver update or from Premiere itself.

I edit videos in 1080p, 1/4 and this problem occurs in both the 2024 version of Adobe Premiere and the 2023 version.

I've already switched the sequence renderer to Mercury Playback Engine, I've formatted Windows, installed both old and new video drivers for the GPU, and nothing works. I literally don't know what to do anymore!

imagem_2024-02-02_191939636.png

Meu computador
CPU Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU RX580

RAM 32gb

1TB ssd NVMe

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Computer configuration , Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

If your source media is a GOP codec (e.g. h.264/h.265), I'd recomend duplicating the source file on your disk and importing it for the second track.

Another user was recently hitting a similar issue - as I explained in that thread (https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/media-encoder-not-using-gpu-acceleration-during-cro...- when you cut up a single media file, the decoder for that file will constantly seek between the two parts of that file. This is very expensive for GOP codecs. 

As far as I know, this shouldn't be a regression - how bad it is will depend specifically on the source media you use though - longer GOP media files will perform worse than shorter GOP media files. If you don't use GOP media files, you should not see this problem at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2024 Feb 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, this helps, but unfortunately, it does not solve my problem, as working with two identical files does not make my job any easier, it might even increase the time it takes.
I will look for some ways to solve it now that I know what the real cause is.

Thank you very much for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using long-GOP H.264/5 mp4 files, then ... that CPU doesn't have any decode capabilities for long-GOP and I don't think the GPU does either. That may be the heart of the problem. One stream of long-GOP it mostly gets by, but you give it two, and it can't keep up the processing load.

Transcode or proxy to ProRes proxy would maybe be better working procesess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually,if that were the case then the video decode would be stuck at zero. The RX 580 that's in the original post does have an H.264 video decoder. However, like all pre-RDNA discrete Radeon GPUs, its performance is feeble compared to even a contemporaneous (as in of the same vintage) Nvidia GeForce 10-series GPU at decoding H.264.

In other words, all pre-RDNA Radeon GPUs, like that RX 580, just don't measure up to even an older Nvidia GeForce GPU for hardware decoding. Hence the extremely high GPU usage. The only fix, in this case, is a newer GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As always, thanks for popping in RJL!

Votes

Translate

Translate