Exit

Premiere Pro Community Digest — January 2023

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Banner_01_2023_01.jpg

Adobe Premiere Pro Community Digest - January 2023

Welcome to the Premiere Pro Community Digest for January 2023. Let's get started with the community news, and then we can get down to our monthly features. I'll also tell you about some new things happening with Premiere Pro Beta and the latest version of Premiere Pro, 23.1!

Latest Adobe Premiere Pro Community News

Small SQ GIF_13.gifFeature films at Sundance and more news from the Premiere Pro community!

Welcome back to the Premiere Pro community digest. This article is the monthly newsletter for the Premiere Pro community. Looking back, here are some of the events that shaped January 2023.

Team Adobe at the Sundance Film Festival

Every January, the world's best filmmakers convene at the Sundance Film Festival. Adobe is always there showing support for filmmakers. Here's some news for those of us that couldn't attend.

Team Adobe's Meagan Keane hosted an interview with Kim Yutani, director of programming for the Sundance Film Festival, talking about themes at this year's festival and information about getting into the fest. The link is here.

Here's the Sundance panel on collaboration and editing, also posted by Meagan. Collaboration in filmmaking these past couple of years has ramped up, so you'll be interested in this discussion. The shareable link is here.

Over two-thirds of Sundance films used Premiere and Frame.io. For the 5th year in a row, Premiere Pro is the most used non-linear editing system for filmmakers. 75% of films used Creative Cloud tools. Awesome! Read the article on ProVideo Coalition here

Adobe Premiere Pro Community Engagements for 2023

We can do a lot of great things as a community in 2023. You may see me try engagements (polls, AMAs, contests, how-tos, "Mixits") where I will ask for your input. I hope you support these efforts by participating. Message me if you have any ideas you have for community interactions. 

In 2023, I hope to bring the communities of Adobe Premiere Pro Users from all over the world together. If you have any ideas about this, please message me as well.

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 6.44.20 PM.pngOnline meetups held by the product team will be continuing. I will inform the community in advance of the next one. Stay tuned to pinned and featured posts for breaking news and events about Adobe Premiere Pro in this forum. To see past online meetups on YouTube, check out the channel here.

Premiere Pro Team News and Blog Posts

Premiere Pro Team News - New release and migration of Bug Reports and Feature Requests
There was a new release of Adobe Premiere Pro. Check out the documentation for the latest release (23.1) here. The team also migrated feature requests and bug reports from User Voice to Adobe Forums. Thanks, team!

Ideas (Feature Requests)
Bug Reports

What's new in Premiere Pro Beta?

Small SQ GIF_08.gifPremiere Pro Beta

Check out the latest Beta to discover what's next for Premiere Pro. More info about the Beta program is here

Premiere Pro Beta has a few new features you might like this month. Preview the details in these posts. 

View these recent discussions. You can also stop by to upvote features or file bugs with a new feature in the Premiere Pro Beta forum. Let me know what you think of these community features.

Premiere Pro Beta documentation is here

Troubleshooting

Small SQ GIF_12.gifTop troubleshooting articles

Issues with any of your projects?

First, check the list of known issues to see if the issue is known. The article contains issues that address bugs or conflicts with your hardware, plug-ins, or other software and how you can take action to continue editing the project.

You can also install the new version to see if it has fixed your issue. Consider the steps to safely update Premiere Pro first.

• Sync Settings: Sync settings before updating so that your settings are migrated properly.
  • Back-up projects: Ensure the projects you are working on are backed up by duplicating them before updating.
  • Delete all media cache from the existing version. Ensure all projects are closed before deleting all cache in Preferences.
  • Install but keep the previous version intact: Preferences can be set in the CC desktop app to not "auto-update.
  • Open the duplicate project: Try one of the duplicate projects in the newly installed version to see if it is operational.

Note: Updating Premiere Pro in the middle of a large and complex project or Production is not recommended. It is better to wait until new projects come into play. Keeping the previous version installed can leave you with options if you need to update a legacy project.

Here are the top troubleshooting articles for Premiere Pro 23.1. See Known Issues for the full list:

Featured Adobe Premiere Pro Community Expert

Ckun - Jan. '23 Featured Expert - Adobe Premiere ProCkun - Jan. '23 Featured Expert - Adobe Premiere ProFeatured Adobe Premiere Pro Community Expert - Ckun

It's time to present our featured Adobe Community Expert for the month, Ckun. As a significant contributor to the Japan Adobe Premiere Pro forum, Ckun has been a community member for nine years. He has written over 5,654 posts with many "Likes" and accepted solutions from colleagues. A legend! Ckun and I messaged each other, and he told me more about himself. Here's what he wrote:

"Hello everyone. I work for a small post-production company in Japan.

I have been working in the video industry for about 20 years and have used a variety of NLE products, of which Premiere Pro is an indispensable one for me.

Participating in the Adobe Support Community has helped me deepen my knowledge and has benefited my work. As a member of the Community, I will continue to devote myself to my work."

Here's what he wrote:

みなさんこんにちは。私は日本の小さなポストプロダクションで働いています。

20年程映像業界で働いており、様々なNLE製品を使ってきましたが、その中でもPremiere Proは、私にとってなくてはならない存在です。

アドビサポートコミュニテイに参加することは、自身の知識を深めることにも繋がり、私の仕事にも生かされています。

これからも、コミュニティの一員として、日々精進してまいります。

We appreciate your expertise here on the forums, Ckun. The Premiere Pro community thanks you for all your knowledge, efforts, and willingness to share. Have you ever been helped by Ckun? If so, drop him a note here if you have time. 

To find out more about our Adobe Community Experts, click here.

Learn Something New

Small SQ GIF_09.gifRecommended how-to content

Here are some great "How To" technique threads, videos, and other tidbits you might find compelling. Please let me know if you have a handy tutorial or technique to share with the community.

How to Color in Premiere Pro | Video Editing Bootcamp
Channel: Adobe Live

Restore deleted audio in Adobe Premiere Pro
Channel: Video Revealed

How to create a Cool Time Difference Blending Video Effect
Channel: Justin Odisho

Sound Mix Automation in Premiere Pro
By Adobe Creative Cloud

best-practices-cover.png.img.pngFor reference: Premiere Pro Best Practices Guide for TV and Episodic Post-Production can be downloaded here: https://adobe.ly/PremiereProGuide.

Featured Content

In researching articles written in January that might interest Premiere Pro editors, I found the following: 

Time-Saving Tips for Adobe Premiere Pro
Time-saving-tips-header.jpegVidevo's Todd Blankenship brings the community this blog post about Time-Saving Tips for Adobe Premiere Pro. Color coding clips using Labels is one tip he shares. See the rest of his tips here.

How to Simplify Adobe Premiere Pro Sequences
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.51.40 PM.pngIn this article, Larry Jordan illustrates a feature in Premiere that can instantly simplify a complicated sequence without changing your edit. See the article and video here.

How to find a missing timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.52.51 PM.pngHow do you find a missing timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro? "Missing timeline" can mean different things, so check out the various solutions in this article and the accompanying video by David Lindgren. 

Premiere Pro - Setting up / Exporting 5.1 Audio

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.53.37 PM.pngEver wonder how to set up and export 5.1 audio for your video project? This article, by Emerson College, will assist you in creating audience-ready experiences concerning surround audio. You can read the article here

5 Adobe Premiere Pro Templates You Need to Check Out

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 10.54.47 PM.pngThis article by Epidemic Sound's Alec Chillingworth, "5 Adobe Premiere Pro Templates You Need to Check Out" looks at where you can find templates, if you can snag them for free, and which are the best. See the article here.

Thanks for reading the month's digest; we hope to see you again next month.

Handy Links

Small SQ GIF_11.gifNew 23.1 Features (in brief)

Complete documentation for Premiere Pro 23.1 complete set of features)

Fixed Issues
Known Issues

Past Community Digests

Small SQ GIF_14.gifPrevious Monthly Digests

Premiere Pro Community Digest — December 2022. See the Premiere Pro Community Digest Home Page to see digests from earlier this year, 2021, and 2020.

Newsletters for Other Adobe Applications

After EffectsPhotoshop | Lightroom | Lightroom Classic | InDesign

Premiere Pro Community Digest — January 2023

TOPICS
FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 11, 2023 Feb 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I appreciate the effort and scope of these (monthly) newsletters. Thanks.

However, in your troubleshooting section, your advice is this:

Issues with any of your projects? First, update to the latest version of Premiere Pro, which might have a fix for those issues.

I would go further than saying this is not good advice - this is bad advice, particularly as a first step, and particularly for long complex projects.

New versions of Premiere Pro often introduce new issues and bugs, and long-standing issues often go unaddressed. Updating a project in the middle of post-production is just not good practice, and should only be done after considering the possible consequences.

To that end, the Known Issues page for Premiere Pro (which you link to more than once under troubleshooting) really needs to be maintained. It should be current, and actually list all known issues. It is not and does not.

To give just a few examples of current known issues (acknowledged by Adobe employees) but not listed on the Known Issues page:

Timeline Performance 

Export Bugs 

Navigating Markers 

Limits on Proxy Workflow 

This list is not complete (I've asked for a complete list, and not yet received a response). Further it is not helpful and the known issues are not documented for the versions and OSes they apply to, etc.

While you are aware of these requests, they bear repeating here for clarity.

R.

@Kevin-Monahan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

RI.

Thanks for the post. I ammended the post with better advice for troubleshooting. Others can address shortcomings with your idea to improve official documentation here.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines