• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Clip Nudging broken after drag & drop in 24.4

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone else reproduce this issue? Is it an issue on Mac as well?

Selected clips won't nudge (ALT + arrow key) after being draged & dropped.

1. Select a clip in your sequence
  2. Drag the selected clip to a new point in time, or to a new track
  3. Try to nudge the clip using ALT and any of the arrow keys

The clip that still looks (and should be) selected, and is in the Sequence pane which itself is still active (bordered) should move.

But it doesn't move at all. It behaves as if it's not selected. It still looks selected.

Nudging is not the only thing affected. I have keyboard shortcuts setup to allow me to change the color of the selected clip and those don't work either. The clip behaves as if it's not selected. Nudging was the first thing I noticed, though, as I commonly time shift clips, splice them with CTRL+K, and use Alt+Up to move them, and this workflow is now broken.

To get back to the intended functionality, if you click on the "selected" clip, nothing visually changes, but now you should regain the ability to nudge and interact with it.

This wasn't a problem pre 24.4.0 (in the mainstream builds; I never tested any Beta versions). It's still broken in 24.4.1

I have no third party plugins.

Windows 11, fully up to date

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Thanks Trent!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
Explorer ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, ignoring the god awful colors the whole timeline now has,

after the 24.4.0 update i have noticed a change in behavior of the Nudge fuctions: After I move a clip in the timeline with the mouse, if I press the shortcuts to nudge it one frame to the left/right/up/down on the timeline, it has no effect. I have to deselect the clip, select it again, then it works.

Is this a bug or a desired behevior, if it's desired, why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are your pressing Alt or Option or Command or Control when using the arrow keys?

Assuming the Keyboard Shortcuts are set to Adobe Premiere Pro Default:

• Left is step forward one frame.
  • Right is step backward frame.
  • Up is go to next edit point.
  • Down is go to previous edit point.
  • Control/Command left is nudge clip selection left one frame.
  • Control/Command right is nudge clip selection right one frame.
  • Alt/Option up is nudge clip selection up.
  • Alt/Option down is nudge clip selection down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Default keyboard shortcuts, ALT+Arrow keys.

Been using it for more than 15 years like this, not the point. Problem is that NOW, after the update, I have to re-select the clip I want to nudge left/right by one frame or up/down on the layers. Until now, you'd move a clip, set it, press Alt+Arrow to nudge it. Now it's move it, set it, deselect it, re select it then alt+arrow to nudge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the clip must be selected.

The behavior hasn't changed.

Is something causing the clip to deselect on your system before you have finished nudging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, as i have said, for 15 years, it's muscle memory. I know the clip must be selected, but after i move it in the timeline, still being selected, i can't nugde it, as i have been doing from version cs3 until prior to this update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bogdan-giurca 

The 24.4.0 release has been halted due to crashes being reported.  Your issue mayor may not  be related, but it's recommended that users roll back to 24.3 and wait for 24.4.1.  

More information here:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/release-of-premiere-pro-and-media-encoder-v2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Will wait for 24.4.1, hope it gets fixed there, if it was not considered a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the very helpful detailed information. This has been reproduced and reported to the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trent!

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bruce Bullis @Trent Happel @Annika Koenig et al ... iy is wonderful to have y'all responding in so many threads here!

SO appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! And I appreciate you, @R Neil Haugen ! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[[[group hug]]]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always appreciate all you (and other community experts) do @R Neil Haugen !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same behavior in 24.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2024 May 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should now be fixed in 24.6 beta build 009.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting angry reports of same issue from my editors here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bogdan-giurca and @roblarose 

Try comparing what you're seeing on your end to this screen recording.  It's nothing exciting - just nudging selected clips around a Timeline, but it includes an overlay of the keyboard shortcuts used.

WarrenHeaton_0-1717456088274.png

https://f.io/GFekaGdo (trt 2 minutes)

It uses the project and source footage from the Adobe Premiere Pro Learn Editing Skills tutorial accessible here or from the application Home page in Premiere Pro.

Also, in a post above, I included the incorrect modifier keys for nudging left or right.  I have corrected it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I appreciate the effort, don't get me wrong!

But as i have said in the first post, and many others after that. if i move a clip with the mouse by dragging and dropping it in the timeline, then the clip still being selected, i cannot nudge it, i have to deselct it, select it again, then it can be nudged. The video you have shown is selecting a clip, and nudging it, yes, as i have said, that works.

I KNOW the shortcurts, i've used them for years prior, i don't need a tutorial in how to nudge a clip, I'm saying the behavior has changed since the 24.4.0 update and is still present in 24.4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton the issue is not using the wrong keys to nudge.  It's either a bug or (less likely) an intentional behavioral change in PrPro starting in 24.4.

Move a clip with the mouse or tablet.

The clip is still selected.  Don't click anywhere else.

Try to nudge with the keyboard shortcut.  Does not work.

Click elsewhere (deselect the clip)

Click on the clip (select it)

Try to nudge with the keyboard shortcut.  Works as expected.

I found this parallel thread where Adobe seems to have acknowledged the bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/clip-nudging-broken-after-drag-amp-drop-in-24-4/idi... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trent,

Is there a release guesstimate for 24.6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for a more detailed explanation. That's exactly what i was complaining about, though i thought i was being clear enough.

I guess really my problem was opening this in the "discussion" section, and asking to see what's up. I guess going forward, i should consider everything Adobe does as a bug, and start there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

:laugh:

Your description is good and helped me confirm that I am not crazy.  Keep doing good work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have written the bug report this way:

Secondary click required to activate Edit menu options and Nudge options after doing a click and drag of a Clip Boundary in the Timeline

• Issue - After doing click and drag of a Clip in the Timeline, a secondary click is required to activate Edit menu options and Nudge options.
  • Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 24.4.1
  • Operating system - Windows 11 Pro version 23H2; macOS Ventura 13.6.7
  • System Info: CPU, GPU, RAM, HD:
    • Windows:  13th Intel Core i9-13900H;  Mac:  3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W
    • GPU and Driver Version:  Windows: NVIDA GeForce RTX 4070, Studio Driver 5522.22; Mac: Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB
    • Windows: 32GB; Mac 64GB
    • Project and source media running from Documents folder on internal NVMe/Flash storage
  • Video format: 1280x720p23.976 H264 MP4; however, issue happens with ProRes, DNx, Graphics, Stills (PNGs, PSDs), Audio Only (WAV, AIF).
  • Workflow details: Single-stream edit with picture and linked sound in source MP4 file
  • Steps to reproduce: Assemble MP4 files in a Timeline.  Click and drag the last clip 3 second toward the tail.  While the Clip is still selected and before clicking anything else, go to the Edit menu.  Cut, Copy, Select All, Deselect All will be dimmed and Clear does not work.  Also, use Nudge keyboard shortcuts (Alt Left Arrow, Shift Alt Left Arrow, Alt Right Arrow, Shift Alt Right Arrow; Command Left Arrow, Shift Command Left Arrow, Command Right Arrow, Shift Command Right Arrow) and Clip will not move forward or backward.
  • Expected result - While the clip is still selected, Edit menu options will be available as expected and Nudge keyboard shortcuts will work as expected.
  • Actual result - After the click and drag is completed, the still selected Clip must be clicked a second time for the Edit menu options and Nudge options to function as expected.

This issue can be reproduced using the following Premiere Pro Learning “Learn editing skills” project:

• 03_04 Move clips in a sequence.prproj

This screen recording shows Premiere Pro 23.6.2 (no secondary click required) above Premiere Pro 24.4.1 (secondary click required):

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for restating that the bug happens while the clip is still selected.  I have written this issue up in the bug report format for the forum.  It should get proper attention now.

It looks like Rob found a separate post about it as well that's already been acknowledged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you selcet a clip on the timeline and nudge it using one of the nudge commands, nudge left / right, or nudge 5 frames left/right, it works as expected. 

However...

If you select a clip, drag it over in the timeline with your mouse, THEN nudge... nudge suddenly does nothing. 

Video demonstration:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/rq0ar6isaej8egloc62pk/nudge-issue.mp4?rlkey=a7qrwyn6hoexm0kb2zc59it50...

Premiere 24.4.1 (Build 2)

macOS Sonoma 14.5

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate