• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Burned-in timecode only displays when playing or scrubbing in sequence and won't export Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have a number of sequnces, each a rushes roll. I want to export to a small H.264 file with burned-in timecode. I have added the Metadata and Timecode burn-in Effect (I only need timecode) and it works fine prividing the sequence is playing or is scrubbed through. But when the sequence is paused, it disappears. If I export it also doesn't feature on the exported file, even after rendering.. I have used this feature many times in the past but doesn't seem to work now with Premiere Pro 2024   24.1.0

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steve

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Effects

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

It'd be interesting to know if you get the same results in a current version of PPro (24.4.1)...

Did you apply the metadata effect to the entire (nested?) sequence, or to a track item within that sequence?

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be interesting to know if you get the same results in a current version of PPro (24.4.1)...

Did you apply the metadata effect to the entire (nested?) sequence, or to a track item within that sequence?

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had just one 30 minute clip on a sequence and applied the 'burned-in timecode' effect to that clip. I've now updated to the latest version of Premiere Pro and still have the same issue.

However, after some experimenting, I've now found what I am doing that causes this. My original camera rushes have been shot on a Sony FS7 in UHD 25p. So 3840x2160. I've dropped them onto an HD 1920x1080 sequence which allows, with the equipment I have, for me to monitor on an HD video monitor. The UHD clips are scalled to 50% so I can view the entire picture. Changing the sequence to 3840x2160 solves the 'burned-in timecode' problem (but I can't monitor on the HD video monitor of course). It will now display the BITC all the time, not just when the sequnce is in play. I've also been able to export a small H.264 viewing copy and this time with the BITC.

My final masters will be HD 1920x1080 and will be a mix of UHD and HD material. I've worked like this for some years and it gives several advantages, not least the ability to crop in on UHD footage and move around inside a shot without losing quality for HD export. It also allows for real time monitoring on my grade one HD video monitor. I've worked like this and used a very large number of effects on UHD shots in the past on 1920x1080 ProRes sequences and I've been impressed that it has always worked in real time, usually without the need for rendering to view in full quality.

So this is the first time there's been an issue when working this way. I'm exporting the rushes using UHD squences now and the BITC is working and exporting correctly now.

These are just basic rushes for client viewing at this initial stage. So now I know what causes the issue I can work around the problem. However, it would be useful if the BITC generator would work normally even after scaling on a different resolution sequence. maybe a future fix?

Thanks,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm puzzled about this. I can have a UHD sequence, playing it back on a 1920x1080 monitor, and see the whole image just fine. The monitor pixel dimensions shouldn't matter.

Hence my puzzlement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The picture is fine on the HD monitor. The problem is that the burned-in timecode box disapears as soon as the play head is paused in the sequence. Also, if I export I get a perfect exported video file except that the burned-in timecode doesn't feature. No rectangular black box with timecode numbers in it. It's very strange.

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I updated to Premiere Pro version 24.4.1

I believe this is the latest version. The disapearing BITC display is still the same.

Cheers,

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate