• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions exported from Premiere 23.6 will not import into new project

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2024 Jan 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 6 files I need to add captions to.
PP 23.6
Windows 10 Pro

The captions were already created and exported from Premiere 23.6 as srt files. They work perfectly with the original six files.
I had to add an intro and an outro for a client, but the core part of the video is the same as the original I created, but now I have to adjust the caption track to go along with the slightly modified length.
I went to import the srt file and nothing showed up.
I exited premiere, emptied the cache manually, restarted and now the import option is not even available on the captions panel.
This is a super weird use case, but I have no idea why it is not working!
Any ideas?
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot would help. How are you importing? I think you are doing this, but to be sure, the best option is to select the sequence/timeline, then open the Text panel/Captions tab. You should see the "Import captions from file."

Another thing to test, go to one of the srt's in Windows explorer. Right click and open in notepad. What are the first few lines?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A screenshot would help. How are you importing?

Through the text panel/captions tab. How else can you import them?

I think you are doing this, but to be sure, the best option is to select the sequence/timeline, then open the Text panel/Captions tab. You should see the "Import captions from file."

That option is gone.

Another thing to test, go to one of the srt's in Windows explorer. Right click and open in notepad. What are the first few lines?

It is a pure srt file. All that is in it is the #, time code sequence, and caption.

Thanks for trying to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still import SRT to the project panel; but that is not the preferred way now.

Go to the Workspace icon or Window -> Workspaces and then "Reset to saved layout." And if that doesn't work, Reset preferences.

I'd still like to see a screenshot.

It should not matter, but you exported them from 23.6; what version are you now working in?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can still import SRT to the project panel; but that is not the preferred way now.

Thanks, that did work. Too bad it's not "preferred", I didn't even know you could do it that way, but this was my first time dealing with the situation.

Go to the Workspace icon or Window -> Workspaces and then "Reset to saved layout." And if that doesn't work, Reset preferences.

The reset to saved layout did nothing. I am not going to reset preferences until I save my keyboard shortcuts 🙂

I'd still like to see a screenshot.

A screenshot of what? 

It should not matter, but you exported them from 23.6; what version are you now working in?

I do medical explainer videos and have been doing so since 2015. I am very aware of how the versions work and generally stay on one version until a compelling reason comes up that makes me want to upgrade. The versions for export and import are the same, although it really shouldn't make a difference considering it is just a text file.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on the other way to import. Cheers and thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd like a screenshot of the Text panel and timeline before and after you use the "Import Captions from File" button. Your situation just seems very odd.

I agree re the preferences reset.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate