• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same boat here - relinking full res media after using proxies and ran into this problem. I just tried opening an auto save of my project before the problem cropped up in Premiere Beta (where they've rolled out a fix) and everything linked back up fine. After saving in Beta, I opened it back up in 23.4 and all looks good. Luckily I haven't lost too much work with the auto-save file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2023 Jun 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PR version 23.3. I finished ediitng a whole 4h course on premiere pro on a mac (i work off SSD drives). I did use the text based editor for some scenes. I was wrapping up some more edits on the last section on my pc (after transferring everything and relinking the footage on my PC). Then i experienced the issue of the audio not matching up with the cuts. 

I found my auto save for when i was on mac (still unlinked) and opened it up on the pr beta and that worked like a treat.
There needs to be a better way to find this forum cos i almost didnt find it and launched my pc out the window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a terrible bug. I just ran into it on a massive project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow I was going nuts wondering why my footage kept going out of sync. Hopefully this gets resolved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2023 Jun 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how long can we expect a bug fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a new problem for me. My client edited a sequence in PP 23.4 and sent it to me via email. When I open the sequence and link to the consolidated footage he sent over dropbox, every clip from one camera (that was consolidated to ProRes along with everything else) starts at the first frame of every clip. He is on the exact same version of Premiere and does not have any issues on his end but as soon as I open the sequence - even before linking to the media, it shows that all clips (from this one source only) are reset to the first frame.

After a couple hours of the usual resets and tests I asked him to send an xml file of the sequence - which ofcourse opened perfect and correctly. I have attached a screen grab of my sequence showing that each clip has been reset to the first frame. (The arrow was for my client to see the issue since he is not an expert at Premiere)

The footage (on V2 from a different camera was fine. All clips were consolidated using project manager to ProRes so it is confusing. Plus even without linking to the media I can see by the timeline that it is wrong. How does a sequence from one Mac running the same PP version as mine open like this? Any thoughts?

This is the same on all my M1 macs runnign Ventura, also happens when opening in Rosetta and much earlier versions of Premiere. Looking for any suggestions as to how to figure this out. Thanks!Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 2.45.14 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. 23.4.0 (Build 56)

2. Windows 11 Home 22H2 Build 22621.1702

3. Put together a timeline with many cuts and clips. Then in the windows explorer, move the video file used for the project.

4. Expect the media to reconnect correctly, but when Premiere reconnects media automatically, every cut on the timeline reverts to 00:00:00:00, totally ruining the project irrevocably.

This has happened on several projects now. When I finish a timeline and happen to move the files in the file explorer into a different folder, all of my cuts irreperably slip way out of sync. They all start at the beginning of the media file, lose the timecode. It destroys my project. I've attached a photo of what it looks like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I'm using Merged clips and I think what's happening is the audio is slipping out of sync to 00:00:00:00 but the video stays in the correct place so I can slip the audio back into sync. When I press "match frame" on the clip, it goes to the correct part of the video source clip. So as a temporary fix I can go ahead and slip every single clip back into sync. I dunno if this is relevant, but I built my sequence using transcription, highlighted the text and did insert edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted both versions of my premier pro to 23.3, the save file to 23.3 and im still gettin the same issue???? what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sharing a project file with another editor with the same media - however when he opens a sequence all the video is linking incorrectly i.e. its the correct clip but seems to be defaulting to the very beginning of the clip. It works completely fine on my system!

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Once the file is damaged, you can't fix it. I assume that is what you mean by reverting. You need to use a backup file. Be sure to make an extra copy.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you figured out the solution?  I'm having the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man. I had same problem. I used xml file and it worked. Or also open the project with Premiere Beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi community! 

I have noticed this bug with this workflow.

Import and transcaribe my interview.

Send the transcription to the producer and get it cut.

Remove from my transcriptions the parts not wanted and build my timeline.

Send the project and original footage to the editor.

When they relink the footage the cuts on the timeline are corretc, but the sections of clips selected are all over the place.

You can see attached the timeline before and after re-linking the 2 clips.

Am I doing something wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these fixes are working, what am I supposed to do I can't deliver a project to a client now? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this post for the problem and the workarounds.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/known-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

Once the project file is relinked and saved, it will not work. You must work from a backup copy. The file you have that you sent them should work.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot.

I did a search but had no idea how to identify the issue so couldn't find any discussion.

I thought it was a Beta bug but witht he full version out still has it so I kept doing my XML export as explained in the post.

Thanks for your answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you test all the old versions of premiere?! Xml? Premiere Beta? Rename the folders with original path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me was opening an auto save in beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have an issue with our Edits it seems like premiere loses the in- and out points of the edit. When you play it back, it always comes back to timecode 0 of the clip. Any idea how we can fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My goodness, I thought I was going crazy. Having the exact same issue - not "text based editing" per sé, but likely a bug that crept in because of this new feature. When copying the project file and assets to another PC, all edit points of each clip revert to the first frame.

I have successfully solved the issue using the Premiere Pro (beta) work-around, but not after spending almost half a work day on this problem - time I can ill afford to lose. I'm going to echo what Philip Bloom once said regarding Adobe's feature creep: Take a year off introducing new features, and work 100% on getting your product in a rock-solid, stable condition. Premiere's instability is by far the number one reason so many of my editor colleagues are migrating to other platforms.

I want to love this product that I've been using since 5.1 in yonder years, but issues like this just kills it for me. Thank goodness for this community though.

Votes

Translate

Translate