• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is absolutly not fixed in 23.6!

I need to do a quick edit for a client, in a 2019 project. Normally this would take me 10 min to do.

When I open the project, which is in the SAME folder it always was, all the IN and OUT points are messed up! I will basicly have to start all over from scratch and remake the whole video! This is unacceptable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attempted all the above solutions none of which fixed the issue for me. Please advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely not fixed! Please advise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew219578871yw6 - you understand that once a project has been saved in that bad state, there's no going back, right?

So, the 'please advise' means you keep opening a good project and the problem occurs, so you quit immediatly. If it's not this, then there is nothing to be done. 

Did you state which version Premiere you are on? Win or Mac, etc... Did you try 24.0 just released this week?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I've been working in an adobe teams project and just made sure to not publish.

On mac. I've just tried each of the premiere versions 23.3, 23.5, and 23.6... after having been working in the seemingly stable 23.4.

Tried the method of exporting an XML and importing in a new project. Tried relinking to the original drive.... Essentially I just lost two full days of work and just blew a deadline and trying anything to get my work back.

Wasn't planning to transition to 24 anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get clear on the issue you're having. You have a good project and you're having problems just loading it into PP so you can continue the edit? And when you launch the good project, it is reseting the clips to the first frame - so that you can't edit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the story in full: I'm working in 23.4 in a Teams project and I have to switch hard drives because I want to switch from my home NAS to a portable drive. This is something I do frequently, and have been doing with this particular project with the editor I hired this week. So now I open the project on the portable drive, i relink my media, and to my horror, within my edit timelines, my main audio file appears to be starting at the first frame at every edit point. I quit the program. I research the issue and see the various threads relating to the transcription bug. See that there's a bug with 23.4. I install 23.5, and reopen the project, then 23.6, then 23.4. But the bug persists. I flip back to the original hard drive in 23.5. I relink the project to that, but still this bug persists. I attempt exporting an XML of the sequence and importing within a fresh project but I can't shake this thing. All my edits appear to be lost. I haven't published, but it appears that wherever I migrate this project to it's stuck with this first frame issue. I'm now rebuilding my edit from memory, but operating in sheer terror that this may happen again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew219578871yw6,

Terribly frustrating; I can only imagine. Thank you for your detailed responses; those are helpful.

The last staff post on this was here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/fixed-issue-text-based-editing-clips-reset-to-first...

@mattchristensen, update? What guidance can you give Andrew and others? Do the workarounds described by @Francis-Crossman still work? Is it still true that a relinked file, once saved, is unusable? Do versions other than 23.4 cause this? I assume yes.

Is this fixed in the new release 24.0.0? I don't see an obvious fix listed, but wonder if this one has any relevance: "When collaborating in a Team Project, clips that contain a transcript could erroneously be marked as edited after updating to a sequence change."

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I mention what happened after updating to 24, October 12, 2023:  when opening a project, there is a need to convert the project file.  The results I discovered were disastrous.

That result is an empty timeline, asking for media, in every case.  That result is the loss of the project in the few cases I opened in this way.

Fortunately, I used 23.6 to open the projects. 

As a relatively inexperiencd user, this could have been some mistake on my part.  However, lately I've asked for help, using remote to deal with a problem as simple as not being able to drag content from the resource monitor.  That was due to a technical problem that had to be corrected, so it wasn't my mistake.  (My machine is a Mac.)  

I'd been advised to update to 24 in telephone support call, by the way.

Also of interest, I was able to reopen my same projects with my still functioning 23.6. 

Seems as though the connection to the resource file had been affected by the upgrade, though I can't be sure this was  my fault, somehow or ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you're dealing with this. Crazy it's still happening to people.

I don't see it listed here so I'll ask: did you try opening a pre-corruption autosave in premiere beta? This is what worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a decade of use, I appreciate the options of the Adobe CC method, especially ... as it gives you options to migrate or not while testing the 'new'.

Installing and Testing a New Major Version

When you tell the Adobe CC Desktop app to install a new major version, like 2023/23.x to 2024/24.x, a dialog box pops up. Included is an option that is selected called 'Remove prior versions" ... you MUST uncheck that before proceeding!

This change will leave all current CC apps still installed and usable, and is a crucial part of safe testing and migration!

After installation of the new major version, on launch ...  dump all cache files.

Quite frequently, prior version cache files can cause oddities in the new version.

Create a NEW project in the new version. From the MediaBrowser tab, select a project from the previous version, and IMPORT the assets of that project into the new version project.

This leaves your old project untouched, another crucial aspect of the process.

Now ... test how the project works with your media, used effects, and general workflow. 

If all works fine, you can migrate other projects into the new version by creating new projects as above.

If there is a problem, simply close the new version, and go back to working in the previous version until a new build of the new version, when tested with a project (as above), works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<<May I mention what happened after updating to 24, October 12, 2023:  when opening a project, there is a need to convert the project file.  The results I discovered were disastrous.>>

The way that works Dock, is the project is converted, but the current project remains unchanged. So, that 'disastrous '. You're still exactly where you were and the original project remains just as it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just happened to me and I was foolish enough to save the file. I usually save every time I open a file just to be carefull if it closes or crashes. But this time I didn't notice the audio files where desynced until after I saved it. Is it possible to recover a previous manual save? I cannot find autosaves from the moment I had the correct file. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

<<Is it possible to recover a previous manual save? >>

If you have other saves sure. If you only over-wrote the same file every time, then there is only the one file around. So, if you have a different manually saved file then indeed use it. The Save a Copy option is very useful for that. Are you still using 23.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate