• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FIXED issue: Text-Based Editing - clips reset to first frame after relink in 23.4

Adobe Employee ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in 23.5 which is now available.  Please update to get the fix.

We are aware of an issue in Premiere Pro version 23.4: when transcribed clips in a timeline are taken offline and relinked, clips shift and reset to the first frame. Effects, transitions, and speed changes can also be removed or impacted.  Our engineers understand the problem well, and we are testing fixes internally right now.  We have put a fix into Public Beta and will get the fix into an official release ASAP.  I will update this post with more details as soon as I learn them.

If you are experiencing this problem:

If you get the media relinking dialog in 23.4 and you have previously used transcription, close and do not save the project. Make a backup of your project file just to be safe.

Workaround #1 – Restore media

1. Put the media back in its original location so no relinking is required.

* There are many cases where this is not possible; try one of the following:

Workaround #2 – Beta

1. Download Premiere Pro beta version 23.6.0 build 02 or later
  2. Open in beta, reconnect the media, and ensure the sequence looks correct.
  3. You may choose to just work in Beta –or– save and open in 23.4

Workaround #3 – XML

1. Export XML (File > Export > Final Cut Pro XML) from the original system that has properly connected media.
  2. Import the XML into a new project on the new system and reconnect the media

* Please take note – not all aspects of the sequence will be reproduced by the XML

Workaround #4 – revert to Premiere Pro 23.3

1. Open Creative Cloud Desktop app
  2. Click on All Apps
  3. Find Premiere Pro
  4. From the three dots on the right, choose “Other versions”
  5. Choose 23.3
Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Hello, 
This issue is fixed in Premiere Pro v23.5, which will be available the week of June 17. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 214 Replies 214
214 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2023 Jun 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

workaround #2 worked perfectly! thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2023 Jun 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem with the 23.4 and 23.5 version 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Denise24338014kwwc,

If you're seeing the bug discussed here, but in 23.5, then you are probably using a project file that was damaged by being relinked and saved in 23.4.

You need to use a backup copy.

If that is not it, give us more information.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes @Stan Jones the original project was from 23.4 version. So in version 23.5 I created new projects from it, spliting the previous one into four parts, and saving it with other names, on another computer. Also I moved all the media files, and tried changing the name of the media diretory too but it didn't work. now I put the project on Creative Cloud to test on which computer it can work better.
Whether it's on Macbook Air M1 8Gb Osx 13.4 or Pro desktop 16Gb Osx 11.7.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the workaround 1 and 2 without success unfortunately. I don't think the option 3 would work on my case, and yesterday I discuss about the workaround 4 at a phone call with Adobe Support but I was told that wouldn't work in my project. I'm desperate, I don't know what else to do. I should have delivered this work almost a month ago, and now it is impossible to do any task with these versions of the Premiere. I've been talking to support on dayly basis but any solution worked so far, and it seems that any attempt make it even worse. Now it crashes even during the opening. Every single task cause crash. Doesn't matter if I exclude all graphics, all soundtrack, everything else and try to keep just the basic video to finishing some cuts. Doesn't matter if I split my original project that had a little more than 1h into pieces around 20min. Nothing works anymore. What surprises me is how could I edit so far until I reach a project with more than 1h and suddenly, out of the blue, it started to demand 5x the RAM to do a single task as delete a frame, or put a marker. Even moving the project to a computer with the double RAM (I'm aware that 16GB isn't ideal as well, but my point is, it were working fine, and suddenly it started to demand something that probably that even 64GB wouldn't cope) simply nothing functions properly: the keyboard shortcuts, the playback, the audio and video out of sync, clips moving to wrong places on timeline, a huge amount of markers being multiplied everywhere making me loose the reference completely, the first phrase of the narrator was repeated in loop until the end, and even though the transcript lost the 3 first minutes of it, all the keyframes were lost...These are some of the problems that I've been facing in the last days.  And after all my attempts to solve each one of this bugs, now it is worse because it is crashing after any action. The project has been damaged and I can't find a way to solve it. I need to finish this asap. I'm so disappointed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 26, 2023 Jun 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry guys, this is still not working in 23.5 I moved a file, and the syncing issue returned. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a workaround if V23.5 is not giving you your solution.

My case was that I had to move my project to another harddrive because of coppacity shortage. Let's call the harddrive's HD-1 and HD-2.

So I copied my entire project from HD-1 to HD-2. Note that this project was all fine when on HD-1. But when opening my project on HD-2, there was one file which clips were reset to the start of the file. With V23.5 this was not resolved since syncing was still off (just like with other members here).

Here is my solution:
I opened the project on both HD's within premiere (so 2 projects at once) and I put the timelines above each other. Meaning that I had the good timeline from HD-1 and the flawed timeline from HD-2 next to each other. After that, I manually copied the clips from the HD-1 timeline and pasted them over the timeline of HD-2. Replacing the flawed clips.
I was worried that these clips (that were now on the HD-2 timeline) would have their source-file set to HD-1 and that I needed to re-link them, making this experiment fail. But to my surprise they didn't. Meaning that their source-file changed when being pasted from HD-1 to HD-2 (as long as the same files are on both projects).

I hope I explained this well enough. Of course I do not know how you could do this with two different computers. But maybe you can experiment copying your project to an external harddrive and following the steps above. Hopefully you then do not need to re-link when you get to another computer. 

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a really bad bug if you happened to save something in 23.4 without knowing about it and have to re-link in 23.5. That part isn't really fixed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's shocking how bad Adobe is at delivering a bug free release. Shocking. Does anyone test these things? It took me less than a week to encounter this bug. Not to mention the myriad of other bugs that never get fixed along with the new ones they keep popping up. Maybe stop creating new features if you can't get the basics like relinking correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly advise NOT upgrading to 23.5, even though they say it's fixed.

I was able to find roll back to 23.3, find a previously saved project file in my AutoSave folder that was in sync, and I have no plans to upgrade anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scrozier <<if you happened to save something in 23.4 without knowing about it>>

The problem with that, is there is nothing to fix. The saved project from 23.4 is as it is when it comes into 23.5.

So, don't save the project when (if) you see the timeline messed up in 23.4. (Find an AutoSave project if need be)

23.4 should just be sticken from the books and pulled as a possible update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H @Francis-Crossman  This is still buggy. Not sure if it's limited to Multi-Camera + transcription, but the bug from before seems to persist. See video: 

https://youtu.be/t2EP2pRXcuc

Steps:

1. Open project made in 23.3 (potenitally 23.4 not sure) in 23.5 with correctly linked files including multi-camera sequences. [Old file path]

2. Change the name of the folder where media files and project are kept. 

3. Premiere automatically relinks files

4. Rename folder or force a re-link.

5. Sync of multicamera files now very off, 2nd camera has lost it's original in point. 

Result - 2nd camera very out o sync with audio.

Expected result - normal relink without drift as seen in every other version of Premiere. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm at a bit of a loss... 

I downgraded to 23.3 Everything opened with the correct link, saved the project to a new project file, tried to move the project folder and when I re-opened and re-linked everything drifted again....In 23.3. So it seems if 23.4 has touched your project file its cursed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's important to export an XML of the sequence that has the correct sync, then import that XML in the other location... ON v23.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scrozier this happened to me, but with a different bug where my Premiere would just become unstable and crash in a project created in 23.4 with extensive transcription. Autosaved versions of the project that had been working fine began behaving erratically, EVEN when downgraded to 23.3. I ended up starting the project over from scratch. Wish I had a better fix, but with my experience with 23.4 haunted project you will waste less time that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried opening autosave with correct timecode, saving in 23.3, and then wholesale importing the project into a new project in 23.5 and then moving the folder and everything is still dropping out of sync on the re-link. Not sure what workaround is supposed to work but coming up with nothing. How are we supposed to archive projects from the last few months? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would do this but XML doesn't work for multi-cameras.... I guess I could flatten everything but pretty annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think I found a workaround that can remove the "23.4 curse" from your file. Since it's rooted in the text-based editing function of the project, and there is no way to remove the transcript once it's there, you have to tell premiere to re-transcribe all the clips and then  the offending project data is overwritten in your project file. 

Steps:

1.  Open a cursed project in 23.5 (One where the media is still in its original file path, so this won't work if you've already been forced to re-link )  
  2. Select media in bins (if a multi-camera, you will have to select your raw audio / video files)
  3. Select Re-Transcribe. (This will take awhile if a big project, but worth not having to start over) 
  4.  Move project
  5. Re-link and the curse is lifted, your media is not reset to the in point. 

Once I did this and unlinked and then re-linked the media I didn't have any drift! Hope this can help others. I tested it a couple of times and I think I'm finally out of the weeds. 

Adobe I'll be awaiting my  check in the mail. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We also got hurt by this issue. Adobe should be more proactive in alerting people about this. I'd rather be told via email, text or AI that my version of software has a critical error then have to struggle through it and find the solve on my own.  As we are moving enterprise post from Avid to adobe incidents like this are hard to forget. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what if you have already saved the project? Any work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2023 Jul 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H @Francis-Crossman  I'm having this issue still in 23.5 across multiple different edit suites. On wavs, if that makes any difference. Rolling back to 23.3 hasnt stopped the issue from occuring. I've also had it happen in 23.0. I managed a workaround of "replace footage" rather than "link media" which worked twice, then stopped working altogether. Seems like potluck. Holding up an urgent edit, any advice or additional light you could shed would be much appreciated. Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@scrozier I'm mostly following you but I think I'm getting tripped up somewhere. When I follow your steps, after re-transcribing I am noticing that the transcription is actually in line with the video preview... however, the audio is still messed up. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 21, 2023 Jul 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@alexy21 

My "workaround" only works if you are able to put your media back to its original file path and haven't overwritten the project yet. So if you can get an auto-save and get your media back to the original file path then my steps can work. 

My problem specficially came about because I wanted to move a proejct, but saw that the re-link curse still existed even in 23.5 if at any point the project was saved in 23.4 with transcription. So I was able to quickly *not save* keep the media in the same place, re-transcribe, and then save again and reopen at a new location without the curse. 

Not sure if that makes sense my case was pretty specific. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should really have created some sort of tool to delete transcription or whatever offending project data out of project files. They moved too slowly on this one and caused a lot of problems and will continue to cause a lot of problems if anyone happens to be using 23.4 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2023 Aug 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT fixed. I just lost a VERY urgent work thanks to this issue. I would recommend to anyone using this method to simply stop using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate