• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text panel error; Reloading and restarting ineffective

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2023 Jun 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the new text panel to transcribe some source clips and it was stuck on one clip, so I left that sequence to work on another one while it did its thing. I reopened the text panel to this error message. 

I restarted the text panel, then restarted Premiere, then restarted the computer, none of which worked. I opened the project on another system using the Productions project and the error persisted on their system as well. All of my previously transcribed clips were also affected and now the text panel doesn't work at all in this project. I brought the affected clip into a new project outside of the Production and the text panel recognised it, but trying to retranscribe it ends with the same error. There's nothing weird or corrupt about the clip itself. It plays and interacts with the NLE as normal. At an hour and 46 minutes long, it's on the longer side, but we have clips as long in the original project that Premiere had no problems with. It's a simple Q&A interview with one interviewer and one subject, so there's no action or multiple speakers to muddle the AI.

I haven't been able to replicate the issue with other clips, so I'm assuming it's a fluke, but I would love to know how to fix it so I don't have to trash an entire project that editors are working out of and relying on the script sync in the text panel.

Premiere Productions version 23.4.0 (Build 56)

2023 Mac Mini M2 Pro

12 core CPU, 19 core GPU, 16 core Neutral Engine, 32 GB memory

iOS Ventura 13.3

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Performance or Stability , User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

@maadtoro @MiasSteenberg,

The reset workspace did not work for another user, but using replace for the clip did:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-panel-error-reloading-and-restarting-ineffective/idc-p/13851431#M9886

Upvote both bug reports.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

So that didn't actually work for me either, but I tried a lot of different things hoping something would stick and I ended up forcing the offending clip offline and then using "replace footage" in the Project panel, replacing it with itself.  That one actually did end up fixing my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Hey, I just experienced the same error. This worked for me: 
On the top tool bar of Premiere, go to Window/Workspaces and click "Reset to saved layout". 
I hope it works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
30 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue - Cannot read properties in text panel

Adobe Premiere Pro version number: 23.4

Operating system - Windows

I have a sequence that I have transcribed yesterday. Today I loaded the sequence and just got the error. I have restarted as suggested and I'm getting the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 30, 2023 May 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an unusual error. I would contact support.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just experienced the same error. This worked for me: 
On the top tool bar of Premiere, go to Window/Workspaces and click "Reset to saved layout". 
I hope it works! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pourthechamp,

See this post where a user reports fixing it by using "reset to saved layout" for the workspace.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/cannot-read-properties-in-text-panel/idc-p/13840114...

That makes 3 of you that have reported this error: one windows, one mac, one unknown. Be sure to upvote the bug in the top left of the bug report. You may not be able to upvote your own.

@TeresaDemel @Kevin-Monahan 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that didn't actually work for me either, but I tried a lot of different things hoping something would stick and I ended up forcing the offending clip offline and then using "replace footage" in the Project panel, replacing it with itself.  That one actually did end up fixing my issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maadtoro @MiasSteenberg,

The reset workspace did not work for another user, but using replace for the clip did:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-panel-error-reloading-and-restarting-ineffecti...

Upvote both bug reports.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Stan Jones. I'll let the devs know about it.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

got this error just now.. didn't try the reset workspace turn around yet becauae offline>replace footage method worked for me already.. thanks for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got the same error - Mac O/S Ventura 13.5... Reset layout didn't work. Was about to try the other solutions when Premiere crashed. Sent error report. Re-opened and it's working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you identify which the offending clip is? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for letting us know about this issue. We were able to reproduce it internally and we have a fix now in Premiere Pro Beta 24.1 build 25. Please let us know here on this thread if that build fixes the issue, or if you still see it happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2023 Sep 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was very helpful, but I was a bit confused about how to implement your solution at first so I'll add implementation details.

To force the clip offline you have to right click on it then select "Make Offline"/"Unlink Media" (depending on your version).

To restore the clip you have to right click on it then select "Replace Footage"/"Link Media" (depending on your version).

Then you need to restart Adobe Premier Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had it happen to me. Pr V. 23.6.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happened again in Version 24.0.0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had it happen again on Version 24.0.0. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this error a few times now. Restarting the app has always fixed it for me so far but it would benice if Adobe could track it down. M1 Macbook Pro running V24 and using productions here.  It appears to be a javascript error. Adding screenshot for clarity.Text error on M1 Macbook ProText error on M1 Macbook Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JOHN MONDO,

Thanks for reporting. There were several flavors of the text panel Json errors.

@mattchristensen,

I got confused and thought the fixes (from the beta discussions) would be in 24.0. I now think some fixes may have been, but other fixes were not until Beta 24.1. So I assume there are fixes that will probably be in the next PR update.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error was fixed for me when switching from "regular" Premiere v23 to Beta, but today Beta was bugging a lot so I decided to update Premeiere to v24.0 and the text panel error appeared again, and I'm unable to use use/update Beta now. WHAT?! :((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hector,

Just a caution for the future. I do not recommend using the Beta version for deadline-sensitive work, but many users use it successfully. The Beta version often works very well. But there are also regular bugs, some of which make the version unusable until the next build, or less commonly, more than one build. Builds appear most, but not all, days.

You can only install the latest version of the Beta, and cannot roll back to a previous version. In the release versions, even though it is easier to roll back, I create a clone of my system drive so I can roll back everything.

Note that the current Beta (24.1.0) and Release 24.0 are a different project version from PR 23. You cannot open a current Beta or PR 24 project in PR 23 unless you do something to convert it.

This user reports a workaround, but I have not reviewed the specific method yet:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/typeerror-cannot-read-properties-of-undefined-readi...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior system: M2 Pro Mac mini (19 core GPU; 32 GB RAM) - Ventura macOS

New system: M2 Max Macbook Pro 16" (38 core GPU; 64 GB RAM) - Ventura macOS

I have been working on a project that has been solely in PP 23.6.2 that has a few hours of interviews that have been "Text/Transcribed". No issues whatsover until today when I switched Mac systems. I was making revisions to a sequence and had the "Text" tab open to view the interview transcription details. The error mentioned in this post came up and eventually my system crashed. I was able to repeat this error and crash about 5-10 times.

I attempted multiple solutions: resetting workspace, offline/online (replace footage) for the clips and eventually entire project, reset settings, reset cache, and even tried opening the project in PP 24.0.3 and was still able to reproduce the issue of error message and crash.

My workaround fix that I stumbled across was pinpointing which audio/video clip kept producing the crash and deleting the moment from my sequence. I then went back and re-cut this clip from the Source Monitor into my timeline, and at least for this moment, I haven't had an error or crash using "Text/Transcription". 

I'm not confident that this problem has gone away, and I wanted to share with the community to see if there's any details on why this is happening in both PP 2023 and PP 2024.Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 12.34.44 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-06 at 11.44.48 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Collin K This issue should be fixed in Premiere Pro v24.1 which was just released yesterday. Please try updating to that and let me know if you still see this happening. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Collin K,

Interesting workaround!

@mattchristensen said some of the fixes would be in 24.1, which is now out. Be sure to update this if you try it there.

I was not clear what version you were working on initially on the newer Mac.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattchristensen Thanks Matt. I will attempt to migrate my project over to PP 24.1 today using my new M2 Max MacBook Pro. I'll update you later if this stabalizes my crashes from yesterday.

Do you know if this issue was specifically a problem with either the M2 Max chip or the MacBook Pro? I didn't run into any crashes using a M2 Pro Mac mini during my first two weeks on this project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Collin K No, this issue is not hardware related. The issue lies (as you found) with certain clips causing an issue in the transcription layer. It's just a matter of luck if your project happened to end up in this way or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan:

Unfortunately, I experienced more crashes lasts night with the Text panel open with my transcriptions during editing. The error and crashes happened during different scenarios versus what I saw in the morning when I cut out and then re-inserted my problematic area of footage as a temporary solve. I crashed Premiere when using the trim tool doing a rolling edit. I also crashed the program when trying to open the Text panel.

My project was started and has been worked in 23.6. During the past two weeks, I haven't experienced any problems with the Text panel or transcriptions using my M2 Pro Mac mini system. Yesteday, though, I crashed more than a dozen times using this new M2 Max MacBook Pro which was pretty confusing to me since the system has double the RAM and GPU cores.

I only tried opening the project in 24.0.3 to see if my crashes using Text panel transcription would carry over to a newer Premiere version...and they did. I will attempt to migrate my project over to 24.1 today and see if I have the same problems as yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate