• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hide After Effects failing on Mac OS Ventura

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been seeing issues with Cmd-H ever since upgrading to Ventura, but unlike the Save As… dialog cursor bug, I haven't seen this one mentioned elsewhere. AE often fails to hide when I use Cmd-H. The UI focus shifts to the Finder, but the AE window remains visible. If I minimize AE, undocked panels remain visible and cause issues. Using the menu command After Effects > Hide After Effects seems to work more consistently than the keyboard shortcut, though that may be coincidence. The problem as a whole is intermittent, not constant, so it's hard to test and provide specific detailed descriptions.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
UI and UX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2023 Aug 22, 2023

Apple has informed us that a fix for this issue at the OS level has been made in MacOS 14 Beta 6 that should work with existing releases of AE. With that fix and the alternative workaround AE has implemented, users using AE 24.0 on any supported OS version or users using a supported version of AE on MacOS 14 should have the Hide App functionality restored. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 100 Replies 100
100 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. The issue is not resolved. It is behaving slightly differently. The Hide works about 25% of the time now, whereas it was working about 10% of the time before. It is so annoying. I am constantly having to drag the entire AE window mostly off the screen so I can see my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use CMD+M instead of CMD+H, that will minimize the application to your
dock. I know it's not your muscle memory but it's better than dragging.

--
* Brian Levin*

Personal details removed by Mod.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue on Ventura. Just upgraded to AE 23.2.0 and still not able to hide or shrink onto dock as the other CC apps do. Previous version would hide if I opened another app and clicked Hide Others but that no longer works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Feb 23, 2023 Feb 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to AE 22.6.4 and 23.2.1. Still unable to hide AE completely in Ventura. Selecting Hide from the menu bar just pushes it behind other apps and Finder windows, but it still completly obscures my Mac desktop.

I'm not expecting Adobe to jump right on this as it sounds like AE 2023 is barely functional for many people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Thank you again for your reports on this issue. We've been able to reproduce it as well and are investigating a fix for a future version of After Effects. Once a fix is available in Beta, we will update this thread to get your feedback.

Thanks again,

- John, After Effects Engineering Team 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking into this and confirming the issue. We look forward to have it addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks for your acknowledgement, we've only been waiting 8 months.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, where the hell are you? Command + H to hide your app and you can't fix this after months and months of NOTHING??? WTAF??? THIS IS PATHETIC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news, Adobe: Now I am COMPLETELY UNABLE TO HIDE AFTER EFFECTS. It used to hide after pressing Command + H three or four times. Then it was six or seven times. Now AE won't hide at all. What a joke this whole thing is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I found this trick : I use command-tab to show opened apps and then holding command I point the mouse to AE icon them hit the H key (while still holding command key). Because this problem has been happening with a few apps now, and command H in illustrator is already assigned to show or hide edges, I just changed my habits with this trick and it works all the time with all apps. Give it a try folks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't hide AE, it just brings the finder forward. The really disturbing thing here is Adobe's almost year-long absence on this ridiculously simple issue. At this point, it's well beyond a blatant disregard for their loyal customer base. It's as if they know that some of us are so invested in their product that they don't have to try very hard to maintain any quality control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. Using CMD+M to minimize instead of CMD+H to hide works for now while Adobe is working on a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to AE 23.3.0 in the hopes that I would be able to hide the app in Mac OS 13.1 Ventura on a 2022 Mac Studio. I still cannot.

I mean, really?

Shawn Marshall

Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having problems on hide after effects (command + H).

iMac 2019 Ventura 13.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, we are still investigating the cause. It's not consistent in how often it happens, and seems to be something that has changed in the Mac OS itself that AE needs to adapt to. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but this is really annoying because I use it all the time...hopefully it works in the next update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this has been happening for me too on both my M1 and Intel Macs in ventura – really really annoying, pressing Cmd+H doesn't properly hide AE and the icon will jump up and down in the dock when try to go back to AE. The only way to hide is to option+click on the Finder desktop or another open app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Same here, I found this trick : I use command-tab to show opened apps and then holding command I point the mouse to AE icon them hit the H key (while still holding command key). Because this problem has been happening with a few apps now, and command H in illustrator is already assigned to show or hide edges, I just changed my habits with this trick and it works all the time with all apps. Give it a try folks!"

This worked for me as well.  Properly hid all my undocked panels as well which I couldn't get the Hide button options to do at all before.  Thanks for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just noting that we're still experiencing this issue in 23.4, just dropped this morning. We simply cannot hide After Effects anymore. The only workaround is to use CMD+M to minimize, but it's not a great solution as minimized After Effects doesn't pop up when requested with other shortcut keys, it now requires additional mouse movement to even enter the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 10, 2023 May 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cure for cancer will come before Adobe figures this out. Absolutely pathetic, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting this issue in Ventura as well. really annoying. After Effects has always been buggy with the show/hide functionality (sometimes hiding whenever clicking out of the app onto another window). Would like to see this fixed asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That really helps! Thanks for sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me on M1 Mac Studio Ventura 13.3.1 and currently AE 23.4. Neither keyboard hide, AE menu hide, or dock icon hide work for me, so it's just always annoyingly in the way of other apps. Quit is the only solution currently. I've had this problem in the past with Premiere Pro, but at the moment this is only an AE problem, all other Adobe apps are behaving correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohnColombo& @jenkmeister,  Incase you guys don't realise (because it's been months) this isn't trivial. It causes frustration 100s of times per day, all day, every day. Truly, I'm cursing you guys the whole time - it hurts!

And the workarounds create unnecessary mouse work. Please escaltae and create a specific hot fix because it's now May, so that's a lot of cursing - ya know?

Sorry if I'm missing something basic. Cheers, Ben - Mac OSX Ventura 13.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are continuing to work on this. It's not a simple "AE changed in this way causing the issue". This happened due to an underlying MacOS change but it's not clear what change Apple made. We are working on it and will get a fix into Beta as soon as we have something. We aren't ignoring it, we aren't wanting anyone to curse over this, we want to find a fix and when we have it, we will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate