• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto Transcribe causes computer shut down

Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use the "auto transcribe" function on a sequence  20 mins or longer, after about 2/3 of the way through the process my PC shuts down all of sudden. No warning, no freezing, no blue screen. Instant shut down as if there was a power cut.

This occurs on version 23.1 and 23.2 with latest GPU drivers installed.

Windows 10

RTX3090

32GB Ram

500GB SSD

Bug Needs More Info
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

I passed this on to the team and they believe this has been addressed in 24.6 beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suspect overheating or some similar issue. Look in the windows logs.

Does it do an auto restart? Or just turns off? There's a setting to get more info; I don't recall what it is.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this situation? I find myself with the same problem, when I start the auto-transcribe sequence my PC just powers off and automatically turns back on. My PC does a full restart or power cycle. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.. straight up turns my computer off instantly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here

Imagen de WhatsApp 2023-09-02 a las 18.18.15.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2023 Oct 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same problem here. I clicked on "Create captions from transcript" from Caption panel, caption dialogue box popped up, selected <subtitle default>, Language <English>, Speaker labeling <No, don't separate speaker>, Audio analysis <Audio on Track>. Once I clicked <Trascribe & create captions> to go ahead, PC just went off straight, black screen instantly and restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2023 Oct 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen,

What version of PR are you running?

Is this a long sequence you are transcribing? How long?

You are using the option where you tell PR to transcribe and then create captions in one step. Try just creating a static transcript first. Does that help?

Does this happen every time or only sometimes?

The Windows automatic restart on crash is a Windows setting. A number of years ago, I had a similar problem and realized I needed to turn that off in order to troubleshoot what proved to be a PC issue.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been having seemingly random power cuts for no discernible reason. I tried reinstalling my OS as a last resort and it happened again today. This time, it was with a new sequence of a 2 hour interview in 4k. The literal only other "edit" done was resize the 4k footage to fit into 1080. And then I transcribed the sequence. It got 75% done and shut off. Googled that and it brought me to this thread. I am going to do some more testing to see if I can replicate it, but hopefully you have just helped me identify the issue!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trentfinlay,

It is a very odd problem if it is not hardware/overheating or similar. And it is not being reported often.

Let us know what you find. None of the other posters in this thread answered follow-up questions, and we don't know if they found a hardware cause or some other problem.

What OS? What version of PR?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2024 Jun 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Same. Just shuts off for no reason. THis never happened before and it shouldn't matter if my clip is 2 minutes long or 24 hours long. The program should NOT just shut down the entire computer for seemingly no reason. This needs to be fixed fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Devon Jones,

As I indicated in another post in this thread, we're not getting any followup from users affected by this. It makes it hard to pin down.

I agree: abrupt shutdowns should not happen. I"m assuming you are getting no Adobe crash report pop-up.

What version of PR? What OS?

@Trent Happel Can we get some help on where Devon can look for crash log files?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Devon Jones,

Thanks for the bug report. Most disturbing! Can you provide the team with more information so they can reproduce the bug? See: How do I write a bug report?

I hope they can provide a solution for you as soon as possible. Sorry for the frustration.

Take Care,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jason Nolan Wedding Films@trentfinlay, and @Stephen22876071brea,

Thanks for the bug reports. Are you still seeing this issue? If not, what steps did you take to solve the issue? The community would love to know! If so, please provide us with more details. See: How do I write a bug report?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see if a .dmp file was created at: 

C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\24.0\SentryIO-db\reports

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones Thanks for following up. Sorry for the delay, I have been super busy with work and haven't been able to make the time to recreate it with intention and it stopped happening (mostly, see below) when I disabled auto transcribe. But here's what I can add to the converstation:

• Here is a video of what it looks like when it happens. You don't need to watch the whole thing, just go to the last 30 seconds or so. I am editing in Premiere on another display and holding the phone in my free hand. I recorded this to be able to see exactly what the temp was when shut off and if there were any spikes. At the end I reach my hand into the PC to physically feel if it is hot. It was not. I turned the audio off because I was talking to my son, but the only noticable sound is a "click" from the PC hardware when it shuts off, the same as it does when we lose power to the house during a storm. 
  • It has happened on multiple updates of Windows and I have gone so far as reinstalling my OS and it still happened. Current specs below. 
  • I have not been able to 100% confirm this, but it seems to tend to happen more when Windows, Premiere, or Nvidia drivers either updated recently or need an update. It will happen and then I realize Premiere either just updated or an update is available. Or it happens and I see that the Nvidia driver is ready for an update. I have not been able to make this idea stick consistently, but it I have noticed some commonalities. 
  • The first documented time I have of this happening with Premiere was in Feb 2024. That is not to say it was the first time it happened, but the first time documented. Also, this computer started shutting off in the same way (hard power cut off) while exporting Adobe Lightroom photos a  year prior in Feb 2023. I don't remember exactly what the fix was, but am 85% sure it was updating the Nvidia driver. In the case of the Premiere shut offs, I have made sure the Nvidia driver is up to date and reintalled it on more than one occassion and noticed no difference.
  • It happened once while I was exiting Star Citizen (literally on the exit screen) and I believe had Premiere open in the background, but I am not certain. I cannot think of any examples where it happened and I knew Premiere wasn't on either actively or minimized. But I also can't conclusively say it's ONLY been while Premiere is running, partially because I just don't remember the circumstances when it first started happening, or when it first started happening. But I'm 95% sure it's always been while Premiere is at least open since Feb 2024. 
  • When it happened after a Premiere update, I rolled back to 2 different older versions of Premiere to see if that version was the cause and it continued to happen on the 2 older versions. I don't remember which exact builds they were, but I believe it was the Feb 2024 24.2 update the I rolled back from because I really loved that one-click Enhance Speech update and hated to lose it. But to be clear, it has happened on multiple updates and versions. I don't know when exactly it happened for the first time.   I have since updated Premiere to whatever is current and have not had issues. 
  • It does not do an auto restart for me. It cuts power off to the machine instantly, as though the entire building lost electricity. I have to flip the power switch on and off in order for it to turn back on. And only then will the power come back on when pressing the button in the front. 
  • There are no crash reports from Premiere; either pop-up's or located in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\24.0\SentryIO-db\reports. I was able to find the folder and the contents are empty. 
  • The windows log is always the same: 
    Event 41: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
  • Computer specs (current):
    Custom built Cyberpower PC
    Processor AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core Processor 3.69 GHz
    Installed RAM 64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
    Device ID 3D390A3A-3F8F-4BCC-8DF4-B9D6905871A8
    Product ID 00330-53973-57823-AAOEM
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    OS installed to 1TB SSD; generally edit from 2 additional 8TB internal SSD's

Edition Windows 10 Pro
    Version 22H2
    Installed on ‎3/‎23/‎2024
    OS build 19045.4412
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19056.1000.0
  • I have run multiple monitoring/benchmark softwares on their own, simultaneously, while editing normally, while editing under load, and specifically while transcribing, without any notable spikes, troublesome temperatures, or crashes without Premiere running. Software I've tried include: 
    Core Temp
    MSI Afterburner
    Cinebench
    Heaven

ASUS / ROG Armoury Crate
  • Note that the shut off does not necessarily occur while you are WATCHING something transcribe. I couldn't seem to find a way to recreate on demand by doing anything specific in Premiere until discovering this thread. I could have a multi camera project that was 2 hours long and effects and heavy load or a single camera file. It could happen after 2 minutes, or after an hour. It wasn't until I noticed it happen while I was waiting for a single interview file to transcribe - which was the only purpose of having the file and project open - that I thought to Google the issue related to transcription which brought me to this thread and I realized no matter the size or complexity of the project I had always had auto transcription on. When I turned auto transcription off, it has stopped happening, with the exception of once when I tried to manually ask it to transcribe the same interview file in a new project with auto transcription turned off. It got about 75% done and then shut off. But all the other projects that would shut off previously stopped shutting off now that I turned off auto transcribe. To clarify: I was not actively trying to transcribe auto or manually in the other projects, but auto transcribe was on so it was happening in the background. 

I know that all this ^^^ does not conclusively prove that it is related to the transcription features, but gol-darn if it didn't stop happening when I turned it off and has only happened since when manually transcribing. Thanks for reading. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

It's been over a year so can't help at this stage. I'm on a new build now and 24.3.

As a workaround I use the render and replace option on the section of audio I need before I transcribe.

That's what I've been doing since as I don't need the entire source file transcribed.

I still have the old C drive but nothing in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\Premiere Pro\24.0\SentryIO-db\reports. There isn't a premiere folder in C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe\

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I passed this on to the team and they believe this has been addressed in 24.6 beta. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@trentfinlay,

Awesome post; thanks for all the info.

Re @Trent Happel's post below, have you ever installed the Beta? It might be worth a test. I do not recommend using the Beta version for deadline-sensitive work, but many users use it successfully. The Beta version often works very well. But there are also regular bugs, some of which make the version unusable until the next build, or less commonly, more than one build. Builds appear most, but not all, days. You can only install the latest version of the Beta, and cannot roll back to a previous Beta version. 

But the Beta is installed independently from your production version(s).

See the Beta FAQs:
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-beta.html

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate