• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes RAW will not play correctly on a Windows computer with an AMD GPU.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to view, decode, and edit with ProRes RAW footage taken on an Atomos Ninja V in Premiere Pro. and I cannot get it to decode even after installing the decoder from Apple. I have tested different drivers, different Windows updates and versions, and I am beginning to think, especially after research, that it is an issue with AMD GPUs. I am using an RX 6800 with Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4-3600, and Windows 11.  Please help!

[Mod: updated the title to make the issue easier to find when searching]

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest , Interoperability or 3rd party tools , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Hi all, 

We are aware of this problem that is specific to ProRes RAW and AMD GPUs (either integrated or discreet), and have been working on it with our hardware & software partners. We don't have an estimate for a fix yet but as soon as we do, we will update this post. (We will also add this issue to our Known Issues documentation. This should have been done already; my apologies for the oversight.)

The current workaround is to use software rendering. Make this change via File > Project Sett

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2023 Jun 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found that to be the case. Even with the software renderer my computer cannot decode any prores raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in your same situation. I have my new laptop asus rog strix scar 18 G434 JY Nvidia 4090 and i9 No way to open prores raw. Please can someone at adobe find a solution for this? On my old laptop with Nvidia 1070 I can open the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the link is broken! It brings me to https://community.adobe.com/ I badly need this issue to be fixed. I have my creative cloud subscription that will expire on 7th of July 2023 and I can't renew the subscription and I need to edit the work before the 7th of July for obvious reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've disabled the intel UHD Graphics but that is not allowing me to open prores files!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @defaultfc3iomuok47e@DAVIDE PEPE, and @chrisw44157881,

I'll move this discussion into the bug filed on this issue. I have contacted devs about the bug. It appears they are still working on a solution. Very frustrating, I know! Sorry I don't have further info at this time.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry @DAVIDE PEPE,

That link to User Voice is no longer valid as bug reports have moved here to forums. I will use this thread as the one I will point developers too. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like it's Apple and AMD's problem as well? Perhaps there are contacts at each to ping regarding this.

Seeing this as a long-standing issue really shakes my faith in Adobe. I don't mean to be melodramatic but I only just got into video shooting/editing and this is enough for me to swear off Preiere Pro for life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @panderingslats,

Thanks for the message. You say you are having trouble with ProRes RAW on macOS? This thread is for editors using PCs with AMD CPUs and GPUs and ProRes RAW. Mac editors should not be having issues. I just tried a test file on my Mac and it worked just fine. Detail your problems in a new post. I can also branch it for you, if you like. I hope we can help you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan No no, I'm sorry to make this confusing. I said in my first comment that I'm on an AMD laptop.

I'm asking if AMD and Apple ought to get involved because this seems like their issue as well.

Here is a thread from 2 years ago with the current PRR Windows driver, describing the same problem and absolutely no mention that the software renderer workaround you just gave works:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/premiere-pro-15-4-prores-raw-for-windows-sup...

I appreciate your diligence and politeness, and I direct none of this at you personally (I've worked tech support myself), but the lack of progress and a still-unusable workaround 2 years later is pathetic.

Adobe is the largest creative software developer on earth, full stop.

Apple is the largest tech company on earth, full stop.

AMD is the second-largest vendor of GPU's on earth, full stop.

Three multinational companies going on two years with a bug preventing the use of quite literally the ONLY reason some of us use Premiere Pro.

If Adobe can't find the solution in the next month, consider me a lost customer for life, and I'll make it a point to dissuade anyone and everyone I can from Adobe or Premiere Pro from then on. This bug encapsulates everything creative types despise about Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand the frustration. ProRes raw works "fine" on my Ryzen 24 core CPU with 2080Ti GPU. The quotation marks are due to the very limited controls Apple seems to provide, not nearly as many as with say Autokroma's BRAW  studio plug-in.

But it is seemingly hit and miss with many others. And totally missed for some. Not ... great. At all.

But if you leave Premiere, the only option would be FCP, if I recall correctly. Resolve isn't an option. Maybe Avid ... ?

Again, I understand the frustration, but there doesn't seem much good ProRes raw support across NLEs yet. And that is also a major frustration point.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again I appreciate your politeness and empathy- I tried Avid and had no luck either, I'm not an Apple person so FCP is out of the question, and I'm aware PRR is not supported by DaVinci Resolve. Leaving Premiere Pro will mean changing my workflow, probably switching equipment, none of which I want to do, but that's all preferrable to using software strictly when I get home, because the time lost is untenable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the whole problem with ProRes RAW at this time ... so little software can work with it, or at least, fully. And that's quite frustrating as noted.

I've mostly had some in the shop to test out workflows for others ... "Can you figure out how we work with this, we got a client sending us this stuff now and we need to figure out the color pipeline ... " sort of thing.

All we users have got, in watching scopes, is essentially a gain control. Total. So even if you can work with it in Premiere, you can't do like you normally can with raw formats. You can't even adjust the file gamma!

Compare that to say BRAW, where we can control everything from the particular generation of color science applied, mix/match color spaces and gamma in what, four or five different slots? ... depending on those settings, a bunch of other things like color balance/gain/ mids-gamma/black point/ white point pop up, some with per-color settings.

So I have to say when asked, you may need to use a specific P-R raw 'reader' app at this time, if you need full control of the raw file itself. But I don't even know what to advise!

At least with Nikon's NRAW, you can use the Nikon app to handle converting to linear/fully-debayered state, even if that's a bit of a pain in the workflow.

Both ProRes raw and NRAW really, badly need better support in Premiere. 

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @panderingslats, Hey @R Neil Haugen,

I brought the topic up with my support team on our weekly tech to tech meeting. I added your post to the comments in the internal bug, as well, FWIW. I am looking into escalating the case with the engineering team via directly contacting them.

I am doing my best to advocate for this fix on behalf of users like you. Sorry again for the frustration.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Kevin, as always!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue! Software decoding does help a little, now i only have 2 minor glitches. But still not client ready. I hope these issues will be fixed soon. 

Editing on a msi creator z17 with i7 and rtx 3070ti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I just want to be sure it's clear that here neither using the mercury playback engine software only is working.

Yesterday and two days ago I've spent about 2.5 hours a day with an adobe assistant to troubleshoot this situation

but there is nothing to do. Also please note my system is the asus G834JY laptop.

Windows 11 64bit

premiere 2021-2022-2023

13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13980HX, 2200 Mhz, 24 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Laptop GPU.

Please fix it ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2023 Jun 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan you don't need to apologize at all, you're doing exactly what we all had hoped for. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I had a frustrating problem and I found a solution, so I wanted to share it with the community.

I'm running a Razer Blade 14 laptop with an AMD 6800U CPU and an RTX 3070ti dGPU running Win11. All software (windows, Premiere, Apple Prores, Nvidia Drivers, etc) is the latest version.  When I imported Prores RAW into Premiere it was blank, although I could hear the audio. Premiere gave me an error message:

Plazmodeus_0-1687294236893.png

'Prores RAW video could not be decoded.' Man I hate that message.
Long story short, I saw a reference in one of the threads on here about disabling the integrated GPU. I tried that and, Voila! Prores played fine in Premiere Pro. Thats the problem, integrated AMD GPU's don't play nice with dedicated Nvidia one with Prores RAW.
I hope that someone finds this and it spares them the nasty day that I had pulling my hair out to find a solution.

-(A)-

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import Prores Raw files I get the dreaded "ProRes RAW video could not be decoded" message. The files are imported and audio can be played but I get a black screen.

I am running the latest version of Premeire Pro, with the latest AMD GPU drivers.

My system is a desktop running:

Windows 10 Pro  Version 10.0.19045
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
AMD RX 6800 XT
64GB RAM

The wierd thing is my laptop running windows 11 with an Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU (with much lower specs) is able to import it fine, so I'm guessing there is an issue with AMD.

Need help to sovle this URGENTLY! This is a huge project for  avrey important client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan any progress with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @panderingslats,

Sorry! It has taken longer than we hoped for. But rest assured, this is being discussed internally at priority and this should be fixed sooner than later. I will update this thread when we have the solution in place.

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it seems like issue with ProRes RAW with Premiere Pro is going as far as 2020.
3 years and it is still not solved?

I have  contacted tech support regarding that, dude was dangling with my pc via remote control for ~1h and the only conclusion he had - was to reinstall my Premiere Pro to /C drive.

At this point it's obvious that Adobe tech support doesn't know what is actually going on at all, so the only hope is in the community.
Do you guys have any solutions for "ProRes RAW could not be decoded"?

ProRes RAW for Windows v1.3.
AMD Radeon 6900xt - latest drivers.
Intel i7 10700k.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2023 Jul 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Staffer Kevin Monahan has often said that for anyone going to the Adobe PrPro help system, as soon as you get a live response, ask for the video que.

As at least then you get past the generalist help to someone with at least some knowledge of Premiere.

And speaking as another user, this type of issue you're having is frustrating. Just for the data points, I'm on a 3960X 24 core Ryzen with a 2080Ti, 128GB of RAM, and ProRes RAW works "as expected".

Which isn't to say, with all the controls I get from say the Autokroma BRAW plugin. But at least, I can use P-R RAW.

But many other users get that thing you're getting, and ... it doesn't make a ton of "apparent" sense to us users, who gets hammered like you, and who gets by.

The only thing I can offer, is that at least some Premiere PC users can use P-R RAW. NO Resolve PC users can use P-R RAW whatever, due to issues between BM and Apple apparently.

And I do hope someone pops in who can help you with this. More staffers are popping in to help than used to, so I do hope you can get someone with some ideas that will work for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same issue with Prores raw files... Did you find a solution now ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also can't see prores raw files in my pc

Rtx 4090.

Please update when there is a solution

Votes

Translate