• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ProRes RAW will not play correctly on a Windows computer with an AMD GPU.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to view, decode, and edit with ProRes RAW footage taken on an Atomos Ninja V in Premiere Pro. and I cannot get it to decode even after installing the decoder from Apple. I have tested different drivers, different Windows updates and versions, and I am beginning to think, especially after research, that it is an issue with AMD GPUs. I am using an RX 6800 with Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4-3600, and Windows 11.  Please help!

[Mod: updated the title to make the issue easier to find when searching]

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Import and ingest , Interoperability or 3rd party tools , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Hi all, 

We are aware of this problem that is specific to ProRes RAW and AMD GPUs (either integrated or discreet), and have been working on it with our hardware & software partners. We don't have an estimate for a fix yet but as soon as we do, we will update this post. (We will also add this issue to our Known Issues documentation. This should have been done already; my apologies for the oversight.)

The current workaround is to use software rendering. Make this change via File > Project Sett

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.0 version but it didn't worked also on older versions
yes I installed prores raw for windows
and tried all the stuff they suggested in the forum
nothing made it work
*רועי טהר*
*054-202-1080*

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just bought an ASUS Dual Radeon RX 6600 8GB GDDR6 to work with ProRes RAW on 64-bit Windows 10.
Official Adobe systems requirement says that ProRes RAW works on AMD GPUs...

After installing everything possible that could be the reason why it doesn't work, I have to realize that the Adobe system requirements are apparently incorrect and this is due to a bug that has been around for three years and has not been fixed.

Pretty annoying...

Best,
Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thios is gone now and i have the same issue....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Still having this issue any fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're computer specs please ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same issue here and I found no solution, it is very annoying 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2024 Feb 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@achraf0D45 

Which version of Premiere Pro are you using?

Apple ProRes, ProRes HDR, ProRes RAW should each work as expected in Premiere Pro, After Effects, and Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue - Premiere Pro can't decode ProRes RAW files. Even tho i have latest AppleProRes RAW For windows 1.3 downloaded and installed from apple website.
i have tried both Mercury GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) and Mercury Playback Engine Software Only - and it's not working.

Adobe Premiere Pro version number: Version 24.2.1 Build 2

Operating system: Windows 11 Pro 23H2 OS Build 22631.3296

System Info:
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7950X
GPU and Driver Version - AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX - Driver version: 24.3.1
RAM - 2 x 32GB DDR5 4800MHz
Hard Drive: Samsung 980 PRO

Video format:
Apple ProRes RAW HQ
Frame Size = 4264 x 2408
Quality = Most (5.00)

Workflow details:
Upon importing prores raw file, im getting error

Steps to reproduce:
Import the file to timeline/sequence

Expected result:
Everything works, i can play the file, work on it

Actual result:
Getting error: "ProRes RAW video decode issue.
ProRes RAW video could not be decoded. For more information, see adobe.com/go/proresraw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated GPU Driver to version - 24.3.1 - Still doesnt work 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get an error when trying to import or decode proresraw files into media encoder or premier. Please help.

5900x

64gb

7900xtx

Latest drivers and beta installs on everything, and even rollbacks didn't help.

Converting the files via transcoders like raw converter seem to work, but then Premier Pro or Media Encoder doesn't accept the dng's. Resolve does and interprets them as a video file.

What do I do. And don't give me none of that "integrated graphics, apple 1.3, ZLUDA nonsense" Why can't this authorized product decode a raw video file?Screenshot 2024-03-28 142100.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 5900x cpu

64gb ram

7900xtx

all the latest drivers as you, etc

Same error and result as you too, Can't use media encoder either.

Also, Pr can't ingest the converted DNGs as resolve can so it is specific to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear many users have this issue and report the issue being with AMD GPU. I have yet to test this, I guess I have to do Adobe's job for them and buy a Nvidia GPU and report back to this post to confirm whether or not it's the lack of AMD architechture for Apple prores raw or maybe a chaotic and widespread user settings error on our end and on many other peoples end. Some setting we are missing or messing with, or just the GPU, I will tell you when I find out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

We are aware of this problem that is specific to ProRes RAW and AMD GPUs (either integrated or discreet), and have been working on it with our hardware & software partners. We don't have an estimate for a fix yet but as soon as we do, we will update this post. (We will also add this issue to our Known Issues documentation. This should have been done already; my apologies for the oversight.)

The current workaround is to use software rendering. Make this change via File > Project Settings > General. From the Renderer menu, choose "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only". 

Customers who have a laptop computer with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU may find that disabling the AMD CPU's integrated GPU is a solution to this issue. This solution does not require switching to software rendering. 

Regards,

Fergus

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a work around to this problem. But this only works if you have a dedicated GPU in your system.

Right click on 'This PC' on your desktop or in Explorer, click 'Manage' from the fly out. This will produce the Computer Management app.

Select 'Device Manager'. Click on the arrow beside 'Display adapters'. If your computer has both integrated and discreet gpu's. You should see both listed. One of them should read 'AMD Radeon (TM) Graphics'. This is the integrated GPU on your processor. Right click it and click 'Disable device' from the fly out. This will disable the igpu that is not working with prores raw and allow you to use it in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for updating the information to us, Fergus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine with a freshly purchased Nvidia gpu, damn... Jensen wins again.. I'm throwing my 7900xtx in the trash for a 4060, smh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current workaround is to use software rendering. Make this change via File > Project Settings > General. From the Renderer menu, choose "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only". 

By @Fergus H 

It's not working at all... even with "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only", i have already mentioned that in my thread...

I found a work around to this problem. But this only works if you have a dedicated GPU in your system.

Right click on 'This PC' on your desktop or in Explorer, click 'Manage' from the fly out. This will produce the Computer Management app.

Select 'Device Manager'. Click on the arrow beside 'Display adapters'. If your computer has both integrated and discreet gpu's. You should see both listed. One of them should read 'AMD Radeon (TM) Graphics'. This is the integrated GPU on your processor. Right click it and click 'Disable device' from the fly out. This will disable the igpu that is not working with prores raw and allow you to use it in Premiere.

By @Plazmodeus 

Nope, still same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Miroslaw Mowinski thanks for the info. I will connect with our engineering team on this, as we've usually seen that switching to software rendering is a workaround for the issue. We might reach out to you via DM or email if we need more information. 

Regards,

Fergus

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I posted a fix for this that I think will work for you. You need to disable the integrated GPU via the Windows Device manager. That forces it to use the dedicated GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Plazmodeus  as i already answered to your solution - it's not working for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just bought an FX3 and finding out my Atmos and 12 bit isn't possible on my main machine.

Three years old now? Come on guys. Losing a lot of customers because of a software bug?

Anyone know ANY software that works opening Prores raw on AMD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Fergus H whats the status?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is now 3 years old and no solution. The only solution I have found to convert prores raw that I know so far is via this converter: https://www.rawconvertor.com

If anyone else knows a better solution, please let us know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What bothers me, is the claim made by Adobe that there are work arounds. There is only converting the raw files to cinemaDNG files which effectively doubles the file size and makes prores raw's efficiency pointless.

You can not use a software decoding in PR- like what the moderator said who is pinned as a response to this lingering issue- is simply false. I asked him to show us screen shots of his work around- to which my question was deleted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate