• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select text or add new text with Type Tool

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to select or edit the existing text using the Type Tool. The selection gets instantly reverted. This also happens while adding new texts. Restarting the app is the only workaround. Here's a screen recording of the issue:

pr.gif

Premiere Pro Version: 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Laptop: Asus Vivobook Pro 15

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H

Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 3050

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-tool/idc-p/14481907#M22542

Fixed in Beta (not sure which build), but not in the Release 24.2.1.

Till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Te

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
85 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2024 Mar 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, specially Adobe.

Every time after using the text tool, adobe wont let me continue using the text tool.

The onlyu way is if a close premiere and reopen, but it would do the same think over and over again.

computer spects

Legion 7i

Rtx 4080

I9

Can some one tell me whats wrong.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue: revert to previous version or use the beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue for 24.2.1

Revert to previous version or use the beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Premiere Pro 24.2.1, I can't add text. When I use CTR + T text box comes onto the screen, I choose my font, color, styles, etc. However, when I start typing, it only allows one letter and freezes. The previous version works well.

Thanks,

Ceirion

Mod note: The title was changed slightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still there with beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2024 Mar 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet,

Thanks for your reply and help.

Today it happend again, and here is the screen recording of the issue.

I tried to change my IME, and it didn't help.

As you can see, when I tried to type Premiere mistook the "J" for shorcut "playback".

Please let me know there is anyway I can fix it. I would really appreciate that.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot the link of video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

Upon doing further testing with the Beta, found a way to easily reproduce the bug:

1.  Add some text using the Type Tool.
  2.  Create a mask for the text (either ellipse mask or polygon mask).
  3.  Delete mask.
  4. Try selecting the text.

Here's a screen recording:

pr.gif

System info
    Application: Premiere Pro (Beta) v24.4.0.13
    OS: Windows v10.0.22631, RAM: 15.40 GB GB, CPUs (logical): 12

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@clicker,

Wow.

I tested in 24.2.1. All was okay until I added a mask in the Text layer (via Effect Controls). It was still okay. I could add new layers in the text object, edit old layers, and create a new graphics text object. But as soon as I deleted the mask, I could no longer do any of those. I got the functionality back by closing and reopening the project - I did not restart PR.

Another post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/when-typing-in-text-box-it-turn-into-the-shortcut/i...

@Sumeet Kumar Choubey 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bing#78,

See this other thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

As for you, if I type a letter that is a shortcut (e.g. "j"), the shortcut operates, even thought the Program monitor still shows I have the text tool selected.

Are you using/deleting a mask? A workaround may be to reopen the project.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever i use the text tool, it doesn't add a text, it makes other commands, like when i hit "O" instead of writing the letter, it makes an out point in the timeline. I keep restarting my macbook for it to work properly and once i add a text, in order to add another one, i have to restart my macbook. This is the first i face something like this. Anyone has any idea why this happens or how to fix it? 

I work on Macbook Pro M1 Chip, 16GB Ram, and i have been using this device editing on premiere for 3 years now, and it never happened before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version and build are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls panel. Then text editing works.

Sorry for this. We hope to have this resolved soon!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating a bug that may be related to what you are describing. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls panel. Then text editing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @Stan Jones. I merged the two bugs for the product team. I appreciate you alerting me to the other post.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. After I had talked to @jstrawn and told him I believed the issues are fixed I unfortunately must revert that claim. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Elliot358664607soi Unfortunately, I don't think it's resolved, I think you have not run into it again. 

In any case, thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MrSpaceman and community,

We have changed the status of this bug to "Investigating," as the bug previously marked as fixed is not fixed yet. We apologize for the frustration this issue is causing.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Version 24.2.1, the latest update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi please fix this text tool asap whenever it type something it forces to the shortcut keys and it's been almost 10 days there is nothing fixed from Adobe's side and it's literally affecting my work and projects, I don't understand that we pay for this and it's getting more worse and worse, it isn't easier to shift to another program if it was i would have literally consider to replace this software and shift to another program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've encountered some issues when writing Arabic text directly in the Program panel. Fortunately, there's a simple solution! You can edit the text in the Text panel instead. This works perfectly and avoids the bugs in the Program panel. For now, I believe you can use the Text panel as a workaround for that issue until the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I am done with this priemere pro so many bugs and crashes literally can't work smoothly 😞 wish they could have invested more on making better rather than responding here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I am done with this priemere pro so many bugs and crashes literally can't work smoothly 😞 wish they could have invested more on making better rather than responding here.

I apologize for the frustration, @Santosh35865464hmus. The team is hard at work on a fix. I assure you. Please take care.

Thank You,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can edit the text in the Text panel instead. This works perfectly and avoids the bugs in the Program panel. For now, I believe you can use the Text panel as a workaround for that issue until the bug is fixed.

Thank you for the idea of an acceptable workaround @Ali Jaber  . You're a great help!

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, glad to help. The text panel is very powerful but for some reason it does not get enough attention from Pr users.

Votes

Translate

Translate