• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to select text or add new text with Type Tool

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2024 Mar 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to select or edit the existing text using the Type Tool. The selection gets instantly reverted. This also happens while adding new texts. Restarting the app is the only workaround. Here's a screen recording of the issue:

pr.gif

Premiere Pro Version: 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Laptop: Asus Vivobook Pro 15

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600H

Graphics Card: Nvidia RTX 3050

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Edited 3/29/24:

This bug is fixed in Release 24.3.0.

Original post:

See this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-tool/idc-p/14481907#M22542

Fixed in Beta (not sure which build), but not in the Release 24.2.1.

Till fixed, 1) try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away). You can also edit text in the Te

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 11, 2024 Mar 11, 2024

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls pa

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Hi @Matt Young,

Check out the 24.3 Beta build. The bug should be fixed there. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Hello @defaultr8rbg2obpuau,

Thank you for filing your bug report and providing the information needed to help solve this issue. I hope the team will respond shortly. I'm sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Hello @TheRossle,

Thanks for filing this bug report and for the information you supplied. I hope the team will address this bug report shortly. I have updated the status of the bug report. Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 101 Replies 101
101 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You say that the bug does not sound like this issue, @morphinapg? I apologize if I moved your post to this bug report hastily. I can move it back for you to its own bug anytime. It does seem oddly similar, however. Let us know what happens with the new build.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Stan Jones,

I hope you are well today, friend. I read that the bug might still be hitting users in a particular workflow in 24.3. FYI, check out this bug report here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Kevin-Monahan 

While it wouldn't surprise me if there's a connection, the actual behavior described in this bug is not the same as what I'm experiencing. I never have any issue clicking or selecting subtitles. The issue I have is that once or twice an hour or so, in the middle of typing a line, the cursor appears to lose focus and so any further keystrokes start activating keyboard shortcuts. I never have any issue making a selection in the first place.

It does appear to still be happening in 24.3. I've only been using it for a couple hours now though, but it's happened 2 or 3 times already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morphinapg,

Thanks for reporting back. A screen recording might help. Does it immediately start working again when you again select the text?

@AnnikaKoenig Might this be related?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This work around does the job - from an Adobe employee:

Hi! Thanks for reporting this issue. Our team is investigating the bug. Looks like this is happening every time you delete an effect that allows Direct Manipulation in the Program Monitor (like a mask or the crop effect).

As bad as this is, at least we found a workaround that will hopefully get you editing somewhat smoothly again. If you enter any kind of Direct Manipulation before editing the text, it should work again. For example, click on "Motion" or "Vector Motion" in the Effect Controls panel. Then text editing works.

Sorry for this. We hope to have this resolved soon!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stan Jones 

Unfortunately a screen recording wouldn't really be easy because as I said, it happens unpredictably at rare random instances, maybe once an hour or so.

Yes, it immediately starts working again as soon as I get back to where I was. Sometimes the keyboard presses that it intercepted as shortcuts make changes I have to undo and I usually end up losing my place, so I have to find where I was again, but once I do, I can resume work normally, for a while until it happens again at random.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I was screen capturing while subtitling a video I'm working on for my youtube channel, and I ran into the bug here:

https://youtu.be/T_sLkTqthoA

You can see once I find my place again that it entered the letter I, but then immediately started reading keystrokes as keyboard shortcuts, so it seems like it lost focus right after that first letter was typed. It looks like it had also entered the space as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morphinapg , for me, it looks like you are pressing ctrl+space by mistake every while, and that's cause the problem. Just a thought...

Hint: looking at your video, a faster way to get back to same place where you was editing: press "\" (zoom to sequence, it's better to set an easier keyboard shortcut for fast access, I remapped it to "z"), move your CTL (current time indicator) to where you was, press "\" again.

Wow: 372K subscribers, congrats!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ali Jaber  that's why I placed keystrokes on in the video, to see whether anything like that was happening, but there's no Ctrl+Space reported in the keystrokes (checked frame by frame), so I don't think that's happening. Note that this often happens in the middle of a word as well, not just on spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2024 Apr 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@morphinapg , well, then the bug is about something that is triggering a playback command, this should help Adobe PPro team to investigate it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running latest updated 24.5 on Windows.

For a few versions now, I get a bug where as I type my text if I hit spacebar it will play the timeline. Or if I hit i or o it moves my in or out points. etc etc. as it types the text. Any hotkey gets triggered when using the keyboard to type your text. 

I can replicate this by NOT having the type tool selected, and double clicking my text box to edit it. 

If the type tool is selected, and THEN I click on the text, it will not happen.

I know this has been happening for a few months now and was apparently fixed but it's unfortunately still happening to me. It's a brand new project, not an old one. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultr8rbg2obpuau,

Thanks for providing useful information. I have seen other reports that problems like the bug that was fixed are affecting some users.

Win 10, PR 24.5.0. I do not get the problem, whether I enter edit mode by

a - with selection tool selected and double-clicking the text box or

b - with the text tool selected, hovering over the text box, and clicking.

The original bug (merged two bug reports):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

What you are seeing appears more limited. Is adding/deleting an effect required for you to get the problem?

Here's my response to a user reporting a problem in 24.4.1, where I suggest a method for testing for the original bug.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/typing-text-selects-hotkeys/m-p/14673674#M50...

@AnnikaKoenig @jstrawn 

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using point or text box text entry?

I nearly always "box", and am not getting this. So I'm wondering if it happens during text point entry. Where you simply hit the T for text key, click in the screen to set start point, and start typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @defaultr8rbg2obpuau,

Thank you for filing your bug report and providing the information needed to help solve this issue. I hope the team will respond shortly. I'm sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on since the last update or two. I'm currently on 24.5 build 57.
When I enter a subtitle, the first letter (in English) is a capital letter, of course. For some reason, this (the shift key?) often triggers the tool selection and changes the type tool to another tool, which then, depending on the next letter I enter, does unwanted things to the project. This isn't crashing PP, but it is very frustrating as it happens at least 1/3 of the time. 
I'm Windows 10, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz, 32.0 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/typing-in-text-tool-triggers-timeline-shortcut-keys...

Are  you experiencing what the poster there describes?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, worth checking. Working correctly for me with point or paragraph text.

Here's a user experiencing something similar in 24.5 with subtitles.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/jumping-to-tools-when-entering-subtitles/idi-p/1472...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

Thank you, Stan. It sort of seems that what's happening to others is what's happening to me. It's tough to replicate because it doesn't always happen. At least not where I can figure. I can do my work, but it's frustrating. At least PP isn't crashing. One last thing, I like to type sub directly into the film rather than the captions list on the left. Could this be part of the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the original version of the bug (that I could replicate), working in the Text panel was a workaround. I would give a try when this occurs next.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the responses. I'm using point text tools, always have text tool selected and click on the image to create my text. 

I've tried with and without effects applied.

Just to confirm, if I already have the type tool selected before I click on the text box, this bug doesn't happen. It only seems to happen if I have any other tool selected and I double click on the text box on the screen to select it.

Cheers all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Stan! I'll try to break my habit and work in the captions panel. But I hope this gets resolved soon! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing for me, I hadn't updated in a while and updating this kept happening. I even reverted back to the version before 24.5 and it's still happening.

I'm on MAC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version did you revert to?

The original bug was present from at least 24.2.1 and fixed in 24.3. But this "new"/related problem may have existed even then. So I would go back to at least 24.1.

When I install any update, I hold the shift key when starting PR the first time, reset preferences and clear the cache, and then create a new project. I use that for any initial tests to check for bug issues I'm tracking.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 24.2.1 (Build 2)

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

The Problem:

Editing the text of an essential graphic doesn't work as expected.

Steps:

1. Select a graphic in the Timeline
  2. Have any tool other than the Text Edit, Pen or Rectangle Tool enabled.
  3. Double click the graphic in the Program monitor to enter text editing mode.
  4. Begin typing.

Expected Result:

Currently enabled tool automatically changes to Type tool, and I can edit text as normal.

Actual Result:

The Type Tool is automatically enabled, but as I begin typing the text is immediately deselected in the Program Monitor and, if I happen to press a key that functions as a shortcut for one of the Tools, that tool is enabled instead.

Workarounds:

• Double click the text layer directly in the Essential Graphics panel to enable text editing mode in the Program Monitor
  • Enable the Text Edit tool before attempting to enter text editing mode in the Program monitor
  • Edit the text from within the Graphics tab of the Text panel

All three of the above workarounds are less convenient and intuitive than simply being able to double-click on the graphic in the Program Monitor, regardless of whether or not the Text Edit tool is enabled, and begin editing text right away.

TheRossle_0-1720796126849.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a bug that was not fixed until 24.3.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/unable-to-select-text-or-add-new-text-with-type-too...

You have some of the workarounds. 1) Try to avoid deleting any of those effects while editing text and 2) if you do, use Annika's recommended workaround (click on motion or vector motion and then click away).

Some users in the newer releases are reporting a variation on this problem. Still being investigated.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate