• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Frame substitution attempt aborting error - .MXF Files

Explorer ,
Mar 03, 2024 Mar 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a number of posts about this, and am now running into the problem myself. Although there are a few differences I'd like to share that I'm hoping may shed more light on what appears to be a longstanding issue.

Specs: M3 Max Macbook Pro (64GB RAM), Sonoma 14.3.1, Premiere Pro 24.1.0

The .MXF files were shot XAVC-I from the Sony FX6 shot on a V90 card. I copied the entire memory card structure to my internal drive, and imported the clips using the media browser. The clips are 59.94 fps and 23.976 fps on a 23.976 timeline.

As I perform regular editing tasks (slowing 59.94 clips to 40%, adding clips to timeline, scrolling through), I get these error messages.

BUT, here's the kicker: I'm not actually seeing dropped frames yet. For one of the clips I received the error on, I decided to go to the source window and scroll through frame by frame. I didn't see any black frames, but scrolling through did create 9 new error messages at different frames.

Aside from the error popups being annoying, this is a project that many people are depending on. If these dropped frames actually do end up showing, I'll be in a bad spot. It seems as though with every new project, I have to factor in at least a day to deal with errors or bugs in Premiere. I shouldn't have to be constantly fighting with the tools that allow me to do my job. Moreover, the C70 and FX6 both shoot in .MXF and are fixtures of video production. Frankly, I'm taken aback that there hasn't been more meaningful support from Adobe on this.

I'm currently creating ProRes Proxies to see if that may solve the issue, but I'm concerned that this will only solve the problem in editing, and the error (dropped frames) may show up once exported.

Does anyone have thoughts on why this may be happening? Is it time to switch to Resolve like everyone seems to be saying, or could this be a workflow issue on my end?

Many thanks!

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback , Graphics , Import and ingest , Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Hi @Anthony LV  - Do you have any plugins installed?  If you do can you try holding down the shift key while opening Premiere and clearing the cache.   If you are able, can you try using Premiere Pro Beta 24.5 and see if that helps your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

I have had the very same issue with MXF footage from a Sony X70, 1080p50/10-bit/4:2:2 in both 24.4 and now in 24.4.1. Same error messages, playback is really bad, etc, etc.

But then i created a new project and imported the footage there and got the same result. All media is located on an internal NVMe drive. Resetting prefs and deleting media cache, etc did not help. So i continued and imported footage from another internal NVMe drive and footage with the same specs from the same camera worked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Please post the media type you are working with.  If you aren't sure you can right click on your media and select properties, then you can post the screenshot here.  

Thank you for everyones help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

We have made some updates in the beta.  Please download the latest beta (24.6) and let us know if you have any issues.  Please make sure to clear your cache after any new installation.  Thank you all for your feedback and help troubleshooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
54 Comments
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing exactly the same problems running Premiere Pro 2024 - currently upgraded it to 24.4.1 in the hopes it would fix it, but it hasn't. I've shot a multi-camera shoot on Canon cameras all shooting MXF. Multiple dropped frames during import. The only way of playing the footage on the timeline without Premiere grinding to a halt is to make Proxie files. But then exporting the video takes 5 times longer and the video glitches and pulses on playback. Reverting back to a previous version of Premiere isn't doable without starting the whole project again from scratch, as I can't open this file in an older version. Which probably means I have to start the whole thing again, which is hugely frustrating as I'm 3 days into the edit. I don't understand how a new version plays these files worse than older versions of the programme. Especially as the newer version claims to have a 'faster timeline.' This current version is totally broken in it's present state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reverting back to a previous version of Premiere isn't doable without starting the whole project again from scratch, as I can't open this file in an older version.

By @markh19434597 

I could open projects created in version 24.4/24.4.1 without problems in version 24.3. If you go back to version 23.x it won´t be possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I've literally just installed Premiere Pro Beta and it's fixed all the issues. MXF footage plays and exports perfectly! Such a relief! Hope Adobe keep this version active!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise, I tried PP Beta and it appears to have resolved the issues with the MXF files. I have been able to work in the existing project smoothly. I have not yet tried an export but am hopeful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Error Retrieving Frame errors have been around for a long while (most of them attributable to older media or dodgy hardware/cables etc) but this problem seems more specific, affecting a particular type of very specific (and very popular) mxf file from the Sony FX6. ERF errors are simply timing errors which is why one drive might not exhibit the errors and another might, even if they seem very similar. Remember, an NLE has a lot of work to do, decoding a highly compressed file in an MXF wrapper. In an effort to improve something else, Adobe appear to have introduced a big problem. Working from a NAS, even via 10Gbit connection can exacerbate this as NAS connections include a certain amount of network overhead which introduces... timing issues. Even via a Thunderbolt NAS you are still using a network protocol. This problem is also showing up on local drives but for those experiencing it over a NAS I'd suggest at least trying a very fast local drive while Adobe sorts it. Or downgrading to a previous version that was working for you. One thing that will work is transcoding the source media to an intraframe codec like ProRes or DnxHD (each frame discrete).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2024 Jun 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's terrible. I read about this problem two weeks ago and still it isn't solved. I can't work with MXF files in new Premiere Pro. It shows me random errors about "retrieving frame". I'm already exhausted. I have to constantly trim shots and often that doesn't even help or this error appears on another shot. Yet I have small project. Yes, it is in 4K, but only about a few shots in 20s timeline. Please, do with it something! And yes I tried beta version and I have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2024 Jun 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Radim37046208zysv - Sorry about these errors you are gettin, I understand that this is frustrating.  We are currently tracking and working on a fix for these.  Are you using markers?  Also, Can you confirm what version of Premiere you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
I had errors in 24.4.1. Frame substitution error and Black video showing.
When I started Premiere Pro while HOLDING SHIFT (and resetting plugin cache) the error was gone and clips play normal.
I hope this will help many people.

Though a little strange that this was not known to the developers and support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

The bug is being worked on by the team, so I updated the status.

Thanks,
Kevin

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Christiaan1,

Thanks for the question.

Has this been read by the developers?

Yes, and it is being worked on

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After June release of Premiere Pro 24.4.1, errors were encountered when opening project files that were successfully saved and closed in April, 2024, and before.  The raw files referenced in the project were recorded using a Canon XA50 (MXF format).  The event messages were of two forms.  The first form was as follows: "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attemps on the file ... (the raw MXF file name)."  The second form was as follows: "Error retrieving frame XXXX at time XX from the file ... (the raw MXF file name)."  This error message would repeat multiple times for different frame numbers.  Also, no video was shown in the project window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is suggested not to update Premiere while working on a project because of unexpected errors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam23768955c1ez,

We're sorry about the poor experience. We're currently working on this issue. We will keep you posted as we get more details. Thanks for your patience.

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christiaan1 thanks for the solution, it worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is 100% the solution.  2023 is completely stable - working in it reminds you of how premiere is supposed to work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem - mxf Files from C70, non-stop error retreiving frame, with black frames. And, it crashes premiere completly by just shutting down a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUT files .MXF from Sony camera PXW-FS5 cannot be processed by this new version. I must go back to V24.2.1 to be able to read them. When are you going to fix this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2024 Jun 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But we don't get any reply from Adobe on the forum, and the bugs remains fro V24.4.1 to V24.5... Tell us when you plan to fix reading MXF files from Sony PXW-FS5, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have MXF files been fixed yet!? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still having issues with MXF files. I was just importing them and the program kept crashing, these really need better looking at because its an ongoing problem for a few years now. MXF files are pretty standard so maybe fix the issues with them before adding more AI stuff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having exactly the same issue. needs to be fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on canon r5c mxf file.

mxf.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jamieclarke 

@Kevin-Monahan 

jamieclarke
"We are currently tracking and working on a fix for these."

Kevin-Monahan
"The bug is being worked on by the team, so I updated the status."

This seems to be a problem with Premiere Pro which is known to Adobe, yet it is not listed in Known Issues.

Is there a reason Adobe is not communicating this issue to its users?

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me also! Project clips (4K MXF shot of Canon C70) started throwing errors and refused to play after restarting PrPro multiple times. Holding Shift and resetting plugin cache and clip cache, and working great again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👆

Votes

Translate

Translate