Highlighted

Acrobat XI keeps crashing!

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I launch Acrobat XI or open a pdf, it crashes after about 10 to 15 seconds. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, but continue to have the same problem. Can anyone help please?

Correct answer by NicholasNH | Community Beginner

The solution si to update to the last version of Acrobat 11 which is 11.0.23 found at the link below.

https://supportdownloads.adobe.com/product.jsp?product=1&platform=Windows

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/Adobe-acrobat-XI-Standard-automatically-closes-after-opening/m-p/10698981#M226305

1. Close adobe acrobat XI

2. Go to Windows Task Manager

3. Find Adobe Acrobat Update Service in "Backgroup processes" section and END TASK.

4. Close task manager and run the AcrobatUpd11023.msp update without any issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Acrobat XI keeps crashing!

New Here ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I launch Acrobat XI or open a pdf, it crashes after about 10 to 15 seconds. I have uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, but continue to have the same problem. Can anyone help please?

Correct answer by NicholasNH | Community Beginner

The solution si to update to the last version of Acrobat 11 which is 11.0.23 found at the link below.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/Adobe-acrobat-XI-Standard-automatically-closes-after-opening/m-p/10698981#M226305

3. Find Adobe Acrobat Update Service in "Backgroup processes" section and END TASK.

4. Close task manager and run the AcrobatUpd11023.msp update without any issues.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system do you have? And what version of Acrobat... Reader or Pro? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Acrobat/Adobe-acrobat-XI-Standard-automatically-closes-after-opening/...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  This solution worked for me. My company required Acrobat DC, but I rely on Acrobat Pro XI, so I've been running both on a Windows 10 machine.  Acrobat Pro XI suddenly stopped working (no Windows or Microsoft updates).  Attemption to repair, reinstal, and other solutions did NOT work ...

useless: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/AcrobatXIcrash.html

useless: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/acrobat/kb/adobe-acrobat-not-opening-or-crashing-on-launch.html

... but your solution did work.  Is it a roll back? Do you think this was caused by an automatic update? Can the auto update be blocked?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I rely on this version heavily for my work. This solution (update to 11.0.23) seems to have worked for me too, after the Acrobat Pro XI just started closing automatically a few weeks ago.  Windows 10. Very frustrating experience, though.  Spent hours trying fixes as another contributed noted:  "useless".   

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Nicholas!!

This bug had been hounding me for months and your suggestion fixed it.  I just created a user to thank you.
Take care;
Jack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started having the same issuer however the update pack will not run correctly. It does not even start the update, simply shows the MSI running forever.. Hey Adobe Grow up and make a simple installer that actually works when your product goes Tango Down. 

Do we have ANY actual solutions to this issue. We have several Corporate machines down with Adobe because of this issue and NO these so called solutions are not solutions they are not even working. This is for 10 Pro and 11 Pro.. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are older versions of Acrobat no longer supported by Adobe.

The issues that you're struggling with might've been corrected in later versions.

You'll notice that much of the guidance that is available in this regard revolves around upgrading to latest versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to run the update on a Windows user that has administrator privilege. Log out of user account and log into Administrator account and then follow the directions above.

Please understand that you are using a very old version of Adobe Acrobat, we are talking about XI here. There has been many version of Acrobat Acrobat created after XI. You may want to purchase/subscribe to the newest versions if it would be easier for you. Understand that XI was the last version to be a one time purchase program/application or lifetime license, but XI is no longer supported by Adobe. All versions created after XI are group into Adobe DC (Document Cloud). To my understanding, all Adobe Acrobat DC are subscription base. You pay a subscription per month/year to use Acrobat. Also don't confuse Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (free) with Adobe Acroabat DC (paid license). The free version lets you read files and has very limited editing options.

Wikipedia: The last pre-DC version, Acrobat XI, was updated to 11.0.23 version (and this was the final release) on November 14, 2017, support for which ended on October 15, 2017.

I've found all my support for Acrobat XI on the Internet. If you call Adobe for support on Acrobat XI, they will tell you they no longer support XI and recommend you move to the subscription base DC or CC versions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed Benayati's suggestion for installing the update by

AcrobatUpd11023.msp. In my case it is in the folder

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\ARM\Acrobat_11.0.00

and I executed

msiexec.exe /p  (directory location)/AcrobatUpd11023.msp

in the command prompt window with admin rights. 

Then, just the error which RickBer described occured.

However, I ignored it just RicBersuggested; I have now successfully updated

from 11.0.0 to the last version 11.0.23 and the annoying crash nicely disappeared

so far. Thank you very much.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, although I got an error message along the way stating that one file had already been updated by other means.  I "Ignore"d this and the update completed ... Acrobat XI seems to be working for me again now!  🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, although I got an error message along the way stating that one file had already been updated by other means.  I "Ignore"d this and the update completed ... Acrobat XI seems to be working for me again now!  

Chris_J-aCbdXy_0-1592933104259.png

Same. Works. Thank you for this fix, it was killing me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a park of 50+ WinXP machines at the manufacturing plant. We cannot upgrade machines due to quarter-million dollar equipment that is run by software written for WinXP. So now my theory is that older versions of Acrobat Reader and Acrobat for that matter are time-bombed, i.e. they stop working on certain date? This forces you to upgrade software that is perfectly working to new DC bloatware. This cannot be just a coincidence that all machines started to throw same error. Adobe at its best!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

^^^ After hours of testing, registry tweaking, we found a solution to the above problem. Below is detailed technical information:

System Host: WindowsXP SP3

Adobe Reader version 10.1.4

Symptom: After starting Adobe Reader, whether opening a PDF file, or just starting blank program it crashed within 10 seconds on multiple machines with standard widows error "Application has stopped working".

Root cause: Upon startup Adobe Reader 10 is requesting a file from following location on the internet: http://acroipm.adobe.com/10/rdr/ENU/win/nooem/none/message.zip

Solution: You have to block sub-domain acroipm.adobe.com using hosts file in Windows XP. Search on internet for more info on how to block a domain using hosts file. Once domain is blocked, all Windows XP machines are humming along very nicely with Adobe Reader 10 and zero crashes.

Credit goes to , a Microsoft MVP for finding this solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only solution that worked also for us (adobe reader XI). Perfect and thank you for sharing!

How we have done is editing 

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

and adding following line:

127.0.0.1 acroipm.adobe.com

All adobe guides about repairing installation, reinstalation... have been not working in our case.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Adobe was very fast in deleting my reply, maybe because I entered also file name and how to block the domain.

This is the only solution that works for us. Thank you for finding out and sharing! The answer on top or other guides about reinstalling, updating, repairing did not work for us. We are running adobe reader XI (11.0.0.379).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 56k Dial-Up and the others,

The post by 56k Dial-Up wat a great inspiration for me and lead me directly to the solution of the problem. Well, I am a home user, Win 10, AcroRead 11 but the same issue. Since I cannot administer the domain policy I entered the "http://acroipm.adobe.com" into the Parental Settings - the list of the forbiden sites 🙂 It works! So instead of changing the domain policy you shall administer you home router - inside Parental Settings... Enjoy!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me too (at last a solution without having to update), thanks a lot for this great tip. i'm using Adobe Reader XI 11.0.21.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDITED REPLY

This is good information. Thanks for sharing that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Resources
One Stop Solution for Acrobat
Edit a PDF