• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert a PDF back to InDesign (was "editing file")

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I want to do is edit a file I created last year. I can't find it and ID won't open the pdf I turned it into.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Hi blowell:

Ideally, you want to hang on to the InDesign file so that you can edit it later. (I know you know this.)

Since that file has gone missing, take a look at PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign , which will convert the PDF that you do have back to an InDesign file.

Alternatively, you can open the PDF in Acrobat (not Reader) and extract the text and images to rebuild the InDesign file.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don’t know where you saved it how do you expect anyone here to help?

And InDesign does not open PDFs though there are third party plugins that can convert PDFs to INDD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow Bob, thanks! That was the most helpful and least snarky help I have received all day. Let me re-phrase. InDesign is not opening the file I saved there. I have no problem with files in other Adobe products. So,I don't understand why it is not retrieving it. In an effort to retrieve it for editing I opened the pdf, which I realized that InDesign didn't open. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what third plug ins exist to help me do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you back up and give us an accurate description of the problem?

We’re here to help but nobody here can read your mind or see your computer.

Can you or can you not find the file? If you can, what happens when you try to open it?

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow - Bob Needs a differet profession where he doesnt give customer service support.  Your so rude, and un proffesional.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's you're, not your. Additionally, unprofessional is one word.

I certainly hope that response is up to your standards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Haha. I think it's a fair question to ask what those third party plug ins are called. Why bother responding if you can't answer the question? Do you know what those plugs are, and can you enlighten us all, if so?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Ianbolton:

I have one listed in my reply. For your convenience, it is PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign. Here's another: https://markzware.com/products/pdf2dtp/.

Beyond that, you can use this search "convert pdf to indesign" to find additonal plug-ins and tutorials on doing it without a 3rd part app.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi blowell:

Ideally, you want to hang on to the InDesign file so that you can edit it later. (I know you know this.)

Since that file has gone missing, take a look at PDF2ID - PDF to InDesign, How to convert PDF to InDesign, Convert PDF to InDesign , which will convert the PDF that you do have back to an InDesign file.

Alternatively, you can open the PDF in Acrobat (not Reader) and extract the text and images to rebuild the InDesign file.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Barb! Just what I needed to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines