Highlighted

Photoshop crashing/freezing when saving. Both newest version 2020 & old 2019 macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

So I updated my photoshop yesterday to the 2020 version and I consistently experiance a crash or freeze when saving. It gets to 99% and thats then the incident happens. 
Today I decided to uninstall and reinstall the older 2019 version I was always using and now I still experience the crash but at 65%. I'm not getting any work done as everything I do gets lost and I found my self retouching/editing the same image 6-7 times. Please help!

*I am using a Mac book Pro 2016 with the latest software Catalina.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Photoshop crashing/freezing when saving. Both newest version 2020 & old 2019 macOS Catalina

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

So I updated my photoshop yesterday to the 2020 version and I consistently experiance a crash or freeze when saving. It gets to 99% and thats then the incident happens. 
Today I decided to uninstall and reinstall the older 2019 version I was always using and now I still experience the crash but at 65%. I'm not getting any work done as everything I do gets lost and I found my self retouching/editing the same image 6-7 times. Please help!

*I am using a Mac book Pro 2016 with the latest software Catalina.

{Thread renamed by moderator}

TOPICS
Crash or freeze, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 14, 2019 5
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about Photoshop crashing, as Photoshop crashes while saving, could you let us know where are you saving the files Local drive or External/Network?

Also, could you please try deselecting "Use Graphics Processor" located in Photoshop's Preferences > Performance, then relaunch Photoshop and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Sahil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the files were always saved to my external drive. I tested it out by saving to desktop first and it works for now. Is there something to do with configuration or is there something wrong with my external drive you think?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 14, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue on a brand new MacMini and my older MacBook with external drives. I have now un-checked "Use Graphic Processor" and both machines save and fucntion correctly.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has now started the same issue again....I give up!!! The above information fix is incorrect.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned on the "legacy compositing" and un-checked the "use graphic processor" in performance preferences. This hasn't worked

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2019 0
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there , I have tried your suggestion and it did not help .

i have been saving a file under PS 2020 for the last 15mins and is still saving .... 

I have force quit PS 2020 for 6 times and none of them have managed to save my files.

pls help 

I am using a 2016 MacBook Pro OS is Catalina 10.15.3

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, same MacBook Pro 2016. And yes, using USB-C external Samsung 256Gb SSD drive, that works perfectly with other programs and computers. So it should be Photoshop no the drive.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And by the way, with this little stunt, you managed to take me back 20 years ago when I had to save newer and newer files so I will not lost if something crashes on save 😞 Please test the programs before release and think about the fact that we are working with clients that can't always understand that it is a program erron 😞

P.S. The MAX show statement of your boss regarding stability and lack of crashing is making a lot of sense... not 😞

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue with saving but I am on a Windows 10 saved to my desktop...I hit ctrl+s and it freezes up for at least 10 minutes and then starts to save, but takes forever and it is a 50/50 chance if it finishes saving or crashes before it's done.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, using Macbook Pro (2017) and 500GB Samsung SSD. Photoshop frezes at 99% when saving. When force-quitting the program because of the freeze the PSD file on my SSD becomes broken and uneditable anymore. Please help! I have also lost couple of projects already...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ended up doing a remote session from the adobe support page on the website. I showed them the issue and they change the camera raw files. This has now just failed again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nov. 22, 2019 UPDATE

The problem still hasn't been fixed with all the suggestions and research ive been going through. What I have been doing now is saving the photoshop file onto my desktop and then just drag the file into my external. As single photo, this process only adds maybe 3min but because I edit so much daily, this has drastically slowed down my workflow. 

Problem still not fixed..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 22, 2019 1
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally upgraded my iMac to Catalina and upgraded my PS to v21.  I'm also saving to an external drive and it freezes at 10% . I will try uncheking the graphics processor as suggested above. This is quite annoying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 10, 2020 0