• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file

Explorer ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a beginner at Premiere Pro, and I just updated it to v13.1.5. I've been working on this project for months, and now that I updated I keep getting these errors "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file" "Error retrieving frame" (see attached). It has affected about 90% of my footage making my file unusable. I was online with Adobe Support for 2 hours yesterday with no resolution. Does anyone have any ideas on if this can even be fixed? I tried replacing my footage with the orginal again and still no luck. I also attached my computer specs. Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly since I'm a beginner.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Found a fix 🙂 In Premiere Pro, go to sequence and select delete render files. Then select all of the videos necessary in your timeline and go to sequence and select render selection. I had this same exact problem as you have. Hope this helps 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2020 Sep 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this tip! This worked for me too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! I've been scratching my head about this problem for a while and this fix worked perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks for the tip man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was extremely helpful. Worked for me after much time searching for a solution. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not worked for me so I guess it doesn't solve it in every scenario. My problem is with files I'm exporting from Resolve. I'll use my normal process of exporting and importing files in one project with no problems and one hour later do the same process in a different project and get this error no matter what I do. I've used your suggestion. I've exported different file types. I've placed all files onto a different drive. I've started an entirely new project. I've cleared all cache. I've restarted everything. And it only gives me fits with the files from this particular project.

It happened to me one other time to only a handful of files that time and what solved it then was exporting as a single clip from Resolve rather than individual files. That isn't working this time. We had to just give up on this project and color the footage in Premiere which is unfortunate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

huh? hello in the future, so, deleting render files is grayed out for me, is this assuming the whole project is finished? help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have NO IDEA why it worked but it did.  Thanks for making the Adobe Community a great resource.  I got kind of scared when PP told me, "This action cannot be undone."  But I saved the project as a new file, deleted the rendered files, shut down, opened PP back up and NO MORE ERRORS!!!  Thank you!!!

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't select "Delete Render Files" option in "Sequence". Also got the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to fix this but when I go to sequence I can't click on it. It is not an option its faded....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with some of my png files, but after rotating them they worked? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked! Thank you so much for your guidance. You saved me a huge headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I could help 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came accross this too today on a wedding film I'm editing. Sometimes I grab a few clips on my iphone if I see something but don't have my main camera's set up. I dropped them in a few days ago and when I came to continue editing this warning happened to me. I converted the .MOV files into MP4's using Handbrake and re-linked these new clips - hey presto, all is good with my file now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I deleted all the preview files from my scratch disk. That did not help. Then i deleted all the rendered files from the sequence and the problem was gone. Hope this will help you also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey I just enouctered this problem with an AMV im making. I went to my sequence settings and changed the fps in timebase to a higher rate(60fps). If your footage is processed at a higer frame rate this should do the trick. No errors now =D. Hope it works out for you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me, thank you for the suggestion, my project is saved!! Had this error after updating Premiere (from 14.4 to 14.5), and half of my video files weren't working. Changed sequence settings from 59.94fps to 60.00fps and all seems well again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help me, I'm a beginner too and have been receiving this message for one of my video clips. It's an mpg file. Ive tried resetting preferences and plugin cache. Ive tried going preferences "video rendering and playback" changing to Mercury Playback Engine software only and it hasnt worked. Ive tried deleting rendered files and rendering selected files. I feel like ive tried all the solutions everyone has found to work for them and nothings working. Does anyone have any advice I would appreciate it a lot thanks x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem with my film which I have been working on for 2 years. Now in prepping the file for Bluray/DVD replication, I noticed increasing "Frame recursion" errors rendering most of my archival material unusable. I tried everything, but what worked for me was to completely delete my "Media Cache Files". The entire project had to re-process all the files, but once finished, it was once aain error free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just what I did: not only media cache but also all preview and rendered
files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what I did wrong.. Recording a 4k capture on a SD card with a speed rating of 1.   Duh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try clearing out your media cache in library/application support/adobe/common

that did it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the higher framerate, clearing cache, new project and nothing works for me other than going back to Premiere 2019.  My question is, why does this happen so often, where an upgrade totally breaks things that used to work?  This is not cheap software and especially for those hobbiests like myself who don't use this continusously but yet pay full price, it is very frustrating.  I suppose if i did this for a living it would be even more frustrating but at least I would be making money doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having/have had this and other problems with Adobe updates since 2015. Like you, I'm a hobbyist - if my living depended on this I'd probably be ready to burn the place down. Anyway...

This guy, ‘Barnacules’ may have a clue or two towards the answer to your question. I know he’s talking about Microsoft, but I suspect it may also apply to Adobe. Makes me think of how medicines/vaccines help 90+% of patients but for some they can cause allergic reations. Thus many clinical trials before release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kn8_oztsA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the suggestions in this thread worked for me. In my case, I think there was something wrong with one clip in the timelines. It played fine in VLC and in the timeline, but it marked the point at which the render failed. I noticed this by watching the preview windows in Media Encoder as it rendered. My solution was to click on that clip and do a Render and Replace." Then the timeline rendered without error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines