• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RENDER PROBLEM - AME and Premiere Pro CC causing random horizontal lines on H.264 Renders

Contributor ,
Mar 07, 2014 Mar 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got the new mac pro with freshly installed, up to date software, so of course something isn't working right...

When exporting batches of H.264s from Premiere Pro CC using AME, I get random horizontal lines on screen for most videos. (see below image for a clear example of one of these random horizontal bugs. the line below the logo is the issue)

Screen Shot 2014-03-07 at 8.46.37 AM.png

Tried restarting the app a few times, which gave me a clean render here and there, but mostly the issue persists and it's taking me forever to produce clean renders. I notice this problem less when exporting straight from the timeline in Premiere Pro, but alas it still happens.

This random issue is catastrophic for my workflow. Help?!

[Text formatting corrected.  Please type your posts directly into the forums, as copy/paste often leaves unwanted code throughout.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 879 Replies 879
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChadRHorn We bought two new Mac Pros, identical setup on both. One of them has these issues, one doesn´t.

@ChrisLewis10 looks more like interlacing / field issues than the issue we´re having

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the specs on those computers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

6 core, 32 GB RAM, 2xD700 cards on both. All original Apple

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something I need to adjust in the render setup to fix the interlacing issue? Only my second time around making a video in PP and the first one didn't have this issue. Video in is from a GoPro 1080p at 60fps and the project is in 1080 29.9. I used H.264 codec to render the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ChrisLewis10 Keep it progressive all the way, sequence and export, and you should be fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. I'll go back and review the settings I may have overlooked it. Thanks for the replies and guidance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just spoke to tech support again. The guy said the upgrade won't be out until the end of this month (thought it was supposed to be then end of last month?), and he could not guarantee the issue will be fixed because they can't seem to get it to manifest on their end. Remember, I shared screens with a tech a few weeks ago and showed him the issue over and over again. But apparently only a small number of computers are having this issue. If my issue isn't fixed with the next upgrade, I'm going to ask Mac to swap out my machine with a new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2014 May 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I'm having a similar issue with my new Mac Pro. Instead of weird artifacting like you guys have mentioned, I'm getting dropped frames and a lovely "flickering" effect that has no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever. I posted in this thread a while back and didn't get a response from Adobe. Seems like its caused by the same issue you guys are having... New Mac Pro 6 Core 32GB Ram, 2x AMD FirePro D500 cards running Premiere CC... I switched off Open_CL and didn't have the problem, but as you all have already mentioned it adds an incredible amount of time to even the simplest renders and exports.

It's absurd that so many of us are having this issue and nothing is being done about it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this discussion... green flashes and black flickering... dropped frames and I've experienced this on a new MacbookPro.  Will attempt the fix of turning off OpenCL and render again.  We just made the move to Creative Cloud and we were so excited to be moving up to a more robust editing/ video production system and now this!  My due date is looming for my video project and I've got to get a video that doesn't have any artifacts in it!  We'll see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2014 Aug 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello wedgmedia,

wedgmedia wrote:

All of this discussion... green flashes and black flickering... dropped frames and I've experienced this on a new MacbookPro.

That sounds like a completely different problem than the one this thread is discussing. First of all, this is about artifacts on exports with dual GPUs in the new Mac Pro (not MacBook Pro) when using hardware acceleration.

wedgmedia wrote:

We just made the move to Creative Cloud and we were so excited to be moving up to a more robust editing/ video production system and now this!  My due date is looming for my video project and I've got to get a video that doesn't have any artifacts in it!  We'll see...

Make sure you are running OS X 10.9.4, first of all. I would recommend to see if it works as expected with OpenCL acceleration set to Software Only. Also, check to see if you have not mistakenly installed CUDA drivers on your system with OpenCL GPUs: Avoid installing NVIDIA CUDA drivers on computers with AMD GPUs

Also delete Media Cache Preview files, clean the Media Cache Database (in Preferences > Memory), and repair permissions with Disk Utility. Also, make sure that your permissions are not set to "Read Only." fixing permissions problem that impedes start of Adobe applications | After Effects region of intere...

Feel free to start your own post, if you like.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2014 May 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be more than happy to help the tech guys by providing any info/analysis/test-renders/... But I don't have the impression the right people at Adobe are aware of this thread?

Just let me know what we can do to help find out what makes this Mac Pro different to many others that work without the issue.... Come over here and have a look at it yourself if you like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called tech support again and finally reached someone, who was trying to understand what the problem was. He ended up asking me to send him a screenshot showing the problem, my Mac Pro system information and the project- & export-settings we used.

If any of you is interested in our details, I made them available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jubdo0uj86pqadm/system-info.zip

He promised to keep me up to date... I'd suggest that each of you, opens a support ticket and sends them the data as well, to ensure Adobe recognizes this is not a single user being affected, but a whole bunch of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Everyone on this discussion needs to submit a bug fix. Hopefully that gets more attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2014 May 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having issues to playback prores on the new MacPro, having scrambled green lines now and then in the image while playing back. And I even haven't tried to export yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The random horizontal line issue occurs at random times both during playback and in any renders if you have open CL activated. To stop the problem during playback, go into your project>settings and change from open CL to software only. This is the same fix when exporting in order to avoid the horizontal lines (make sure open CL is turned off in the export settings). I am currently working in software only mode in premiere projects, exporting with software only, and avoiding Adobe media encoder altogether until Adobe fixes this mess. It's the only way I can guaranteed get my work done.

So ironic having the fastest Mac in history, only to have to work in the slowest mode possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay guys i found a fix. After talking to a bunch of Apple Tech and other New Mac Pro users the fix is ..... have the apple store replace your graphic card. I guess the first batch of Pros had a bad VRAM that is causing the issues. Once i had them replace my graphic card i haven't seen the issue since. A few other guys have done the same thing and it's fixed the issue for them as well. It took about 5days to get the replacement card in and then about 18hrs to replace it. So bring your system in and have them start the process of ordering a new card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this. It makes total sense because not everyone is experiencing this issue. Will start the process tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, j schwarz. I'll contact Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone. I started this discussion a while back and just want to clarify the current status of this issue so you can save the time of reading all these posts:

THE FACTS

- The horizontal lines issue is random, yet persistent, in both playback and renders in both H.264 and Prores.

- You can get clean renders using open CL, there's just no way of predicting when it will work.

- The issue is persistent in both Premiere Pro and Adobe Media encoder.

- Creating other user accounts, clearing the cache, or avoiding 3rd party plug ins will NOT fix the issue.

- Calling tech support will not fix the issue. This discussion is your best source.

THE WORKAROUND

- To get around the playback/render issue in PP, go up to the project menu, and in the settings turn off open CL. Use software only.

- To get around the render issue in AME, turn off open CL in the render panel. Use software only.

THE MOST LIKELY FIX TO THIS ISSUE

since not everyone is having this issue, the most likely fix is found in post #60 (J Schwarz). I have an appointment at the apple store this week to line up my replacement cards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well please let us know if replacing the GPU will fix the issue, since I'm not quite sure this will be the solution. If I use FCPX there's no horizontal lines in renders so I suppose the GPU is not broken at all.

Ivan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for summing this up, Jesse.

There also may be issues with OS X 10.9.3, so we do expect that the upcoming version of OS X may contain fixes for problems like this. So, it's possible that your GPUs/VRAM are OK, and you could still experience that issue. In that case, downgrading to OS X 10.9.2 or rendering via Software Only would solve this problem.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 28, 2014 May 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holy crap, are you really an Adobe person chiming in on this discussion? Pinch me, I think I'm dreaming...

Kevin, PLEASE read post 76 and confirm. Many of your loyal customers have been starting for a definitive answer on this for a long time.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 29, 2014 May 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe is aware of this as well as Apple and AMD...

Found this article that, Kevin, you seem to be highlighted in..   Sounds like we will all be waiting and holding our breath....This reminds me of my Nvidia card issues with my old MacPro.....dang it!!!!

OS X 10.9.3 breaking Mac Pro graphics card compatibility with critical video editing apps | 9to5Mac

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, I've had the problem since day 1 and have never upgraded to the latest Mavericks. If I've had the problem the entire time pre 10.9.3, it can't be the OS update. By logic, the OS update seem to be unleashing a problem that was brewing under the surface to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting hoping for your response to post 76 Kevin. I'm hoping its because you're taking the time to investigate. Looking forward to your answer.

Regarding 10.9.3 and this issue. I never upgraded to 10.9.3 and have had this issue since day 1 with my new Mac Pro. 

The sad truth thus far is that all companies (Apple, Adobe, AMD) keep pointing fingers and nobody has a solution.

The only real fix I've heard of is post 60, having apple replace your graphics cards due to a bad batch from AMD, but I held off on this because of post 76 where AMD's chief engineer claims the cards are fine and Adobe needs to get OpenCL 2.0 running.

SO... WHAT IS THE REAL FIX HERE GUYS?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines