Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

'This effect requires GPU acceleration'

Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

I have Premiere Pro in Creative Cloud on my iMac running High Sierra 10.13.6 and it's all legit software for everything. However I have a beast of a problem which is driving me mental which is when I see a prompt saying 'This effect requires GPU acceleration'. I cannot do this at all and spent over a whole day trying to fix this to no avail - is there a solution to this? If so, can it please be explained to me in workmanlike terms, because I feel like Premiere Pro is not worth using with me being unable to fix this.

A million thanks in advance if any one of you kind people could assist in a solution!

Ed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

TLDR:

Try the following: Drag the VR effect to the bottom of the effects "stack" in the Effect Controls panel. Another option is nesting it and adding the VR effect to the clip.

Why does this occur? If you are receiving this "red banner" error, you have a CPU-based effect later in the order of the effects than a GPU-accelerated "VR" effect (in the stack of effects in the Effect Controls panel); the accelerated effect will be rendered on the CPU instead (and an error will be triggered in the fo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What GPU do you have, and what settings do you have in the Project settings for Mercury Acceleration  ... Software Only, CUDA, OpenCl, or Metal?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I have:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac13,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM131.0115.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.9f5

Serial Number (system): DGKJX08JDNMM

Hardware UUID: 7F1FB0F4-F8FB-51AD-A4D6-1F8EA79550B3

In Project Settings I have Renderer as 'Mercury Playback Engine Software Only' and unable to change this cos it is greyed out. Sorry, I am new to PP so hope this is the correct answer.

I really appreciate your help.

Ed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't list a GPU there. Some effects can be ported through the CPU or an onboard graphics chip, and some effects ONLY go through the CPU. But there are things that do require a full GPU card be installed and functional in the computer.

And are not available unless an appropriate GPU is installed.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh ... there's the rub.

It has less than a gig of vRAM and is old enough that I'm not sure the "architecture" is still supported, might need to be at least a 700 card with a minimum of a gig of vRAM to be used.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ouch! So do I need a new iMac or is this something which can be fixed? Parden my ignorance here,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or will I be ok but just avoid anything which has the GPU warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what might be added to the iMac, you'd have to check with some Mac experts or a Mac store/online or something.

Other than that, yea ... you'd need to avoid effects that require a GPU. And could still do most things in PrPro, albeit a bit slower than with a GPU for some things. Most people think a GPU is just involved always, but ... it is only used for those things on the GPU Accelerated Effects list. And most of those items can work on a CPU - only machine.

Neil

GPU Accelerated Effects: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/effects.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok! Thanks so much for this answer - it seems like it is something that can't be fixed - or easily at least. I'll try and avoid anything like these effects then. You've saved me a lot of time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can get a mid-level GPU into that Mac, it could help. Considering the hardware inside, it wouldn't be worth a higher-end one even if it could work. A 900-level Nvidia or the equivalent in AMD GPU's might help, but you'd need to check with the Mac folks if it's even possible.

For all one pays for Macs, it's always been a shock to me how few options that system allows the user.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

You cannot update a GPU in an iMac, sorry to say.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thank you for this question-  I wasted no lie, 4 hours of my day on this.  Please help!!  Says GPU acceleration needed, I downloaded CODA card like a million times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CUDA can only work with an Nvidia GPU installed in the computer ... do you have one?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think so. It says I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what if my GPU was AMD ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2019 Dec 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere works with most any of the newer cards there ... typically in Metal on the newer Macs, OpenCL on older ones, and whatever works on PCs.

So ... which card? What driver for it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TLDR:

Try the following: Drag the VR effect to the bottom of the effects "stack" in the Effect Controls panel. Another option is nesting it and adding the VR effect to the clip.

Why does this occur? If you are receiving this "red banner" error, you have a CPU-based effect later in the order of the effects than a GPU-accelerated "VR" effect (in the stack of effects in the Effect Controls panel); the accelerated effect will be rendered on the CPU instead (and an error will be triggered in the form of a red banner appearing in the Program Monitor).

This is because all the VR effects are GPU only and can't be rendered on the CPU, so you'll get the error. 

For Ed, the OP, sorry, your GPU is probably not powerful enough to support GPU-accelerated effects. Try switching to the software-only mode for the Mercury Playback Engine. You may need a computer with a more powerful GPU to take advantage of GPU acceleration. You may also have to reorder the effects in the Effect Controls panel or solve the issue with nesting.

The other issue that needs checking is that this warning is only triggered with any of the VR effects, which are designed specifically for VR, AKA 360 video footage. These are originally from Mettle SkyBox. They are plug-ins that were purchased by Adobe and integrated into the toolset.

It is possible to use VR effects on standard footage; however, these are designed for 360 videos. The effects also require a lot of VRAM, so you might need a more powerful computer if you want to edit VR footage or use these effects on standard footage. If you are receiving this "red banner" error, reordering the effects in the Effect Controls panel or nesting is the solution.

Full details in this FAQ: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-avoiding-warnings-using-vr-effects/m-p/1...

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, does this go for NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2018 Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe the earliest generation Nvidia cards that are still supported currently are the 700 series ... pretty sure but not totally positive from memory here. (My "on-board memory" is a ton older than DDR2 ... ha.)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its funny, I use the same plugins in After Effects and then it works. But not in Premiere...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, there are differences between the apps. Which can be a pain at times.

But that generation of GPU is what, 2-3 generations back. Near dinosaur in computer lifespans. And on the way out.

So pretty soon it won't be of use in any of these apps. Not saying it's good or bad, just the reality of computers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ed,

I'm still getting this message with an Nvidia Titan RTX GPU.  This is a top-shelf graphics card on an ultra-spec'ed out 18-core Intel i9 PC with 128GB RAM.  So I'm pretty sure we can rule out the notion that my computer isn't powerful enough.  Mercury Playback Engine is enabled, so why am I getting this message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I'm still getting this message with an Nvidia Titan RTX GPU.  This is a top-shelf graphics card on an ultra-spec'ed out 18-core Intel i9 PC with 128GB RAM.  So I'm pretty sure we can rule out the notion that my computer isn't powerful enough.  Mercury Playback Engine is enabled, so why am I getting this message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2020 Sep 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What media are your working with, what effect are you using, are there any plugins in use ... give us the details of when this message pops up.

Other than that, there's no way to assist.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines