• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Get rid of the AWFUL new interface that came with the recent update... [Import]

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interface completely changed when importing, and my team HATES it and we cannot find out how to change it back. Please change it back or allow us to opt out of using it. It's unsightly and frankly looks unprofessional. Maybe that was the motivation, but as professionals, we hate it.

Mod note: Edited for content to address UI issues for Import Mode. Export Mode UI commentary should be posted in this thread, not here.

Idea Declined Locked
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023
Hi John, you can also skip it by going directly to the "Edit" Tab - that allows you to import using the media browser as it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Hi all, 

I am marking this idea as declined. There are a couple of reasons for this:
1. This thread is now old and was started when there were bugs in the Import interface that have now been fixed. 

2. The original request was to get rid of the new Import experience - the general UI - which we are not planning on doing. 

3. The thread has multiple ideas in it related to different parts of the Import UI, and is no longer specific enough for us to act on. 

What I would encourage people to do it p

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
75 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new update 22.3 has a new interface when you want to create a new file and it sucks! I prefer version 22.2 where it interfaces with Windows 11 as to where you want file located and named. I had to remove the 22.3 update and restore the 22.2 version. I would make the new file creation optional (Windows vs Adobe interface) for future updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The updated UI for a New Project" is so much more cumbersome. Please give us the option to switch back to the original window. This new look is actually more time consuming, because it's spreed out across the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. This is probably the worst file browser I've ever used. I'm sure it's an improvement for people who keep all of their project files in a single location, but it's incredibly cumbersome if you don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new import function defaults to all files in a folder being selected. I do not find any way to deselect other than one at a time. Also, there is no file tree available on the left menu. I find the idea nice, but the execution is horrible. As always, Adobe has seen fit to make a simple task more complicated. Going back to 22.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, you can also skip it by going directly to the "Edit" Tab - that allows you to import using the media browser as it used to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the things you do not like? Can you recommend any changes other than changing it back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a Preference option to disable the new import window. The import window is rather clunky and the old method served my needs much better (for example you have a dedicated import window but you can only create one bin for the import?).

Or at least create a preference option to allow New Projects to be created in the Edit window/workspace instead of automatically jumping to the Import window/workspace.
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree. The whole new process of importing (as best I can tell...) has really slowed down my workflow. I have several shortcuts on my desktop that don't show up in list view and I have to dig around to find the files which is very inconvenient.

I realize this is not everyone's way of doing things, but it has really messed with mine in what seem like a completely unnecessary way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

slows my workflow nearly to a halt. Apple native file browser please!
Why do I need another one... Especially one that is worse?
I'm going back to 22.2 as well until a better solution is offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree, they shoud get back to previous version till they figure it out, right now is unworkable

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new Start Screen, is horrible, to create a project in the right folder takes way too long and the new export screen is the absolute worse. Looks like a Adobe has a new UI designer who wants to reinvent the wheel and not focus on usability. Not sure where the aim is here, but definitely not the customer. If you want to make a fancy tool for the simple ICC guys, then play around with Premiere Elements, but please can you keep your fingers off the Premiere UI, so professionals can keep working with it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please provide exact descriptions of exactly what you'd like to see improved so devs can respond. Why does it take longer to put a project in the right folder? Cheers and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kevin Monahan

In fairness ... a lot of us have listed pretty extensively what needs to be improved, the working issues etc. in many other posts and we have received exactly zero responses from the Devs. Just radio silence.

There is a massive lack of communication coming back our way .. which only compounds the frustration and results in a constant stream of these types of posts.

If a Dev would just take 5 mins to post a meaningful, semi detailed response to the clearly, large blow back, against the UI changes. In might go a long way towards alleviating a lot of concerns.

Other than just saying "We aren't going to change it so deal with it" ... which is how it came across.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The New Project window is awful. It's laggy. The location dropdown is laggy, the folder navigation is laggy, takes ages to load folders. Nothing about it is an improvement on the old one, and nothing about it is better than just being able to easily hunt through folders in finder to select the project location instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, sorry about that. Reporting on problems that editors can reproduce makes a good bug report. Asking for a single change in how the app works also works here.

The issue I see here is a complaint that it takes too long to create a project in the proper folder. I'm just trying to find out why so that devs can fix that.

According to feedback during the Beta cycle over the past year, the team made several changes. I'm sure that will continue.

I don't expect devs to put the UI back the way it was because of historical precedence. It's not something they are known to do. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin.

I agree rants aren't actionable. But as below, it's a reflection of a major change clearly making users angry and frustrated, which was my point. Coupled with zero responses from the devs on the myriad on posts about this ...

"FWIW: these UI changes have been in the Beta for almost a year. There was plenty of interaction between devs and editors at that time. A number of changes were made according to feedback. I'm sure that will continue."

That simply speaks to a flawed dev system at Adobe and the fact the larger portion of us simply don't have time to use the beta branches. Because we are too busy getting work done. And if you read the Beta forum, it was expressed quite clearly the UI change was a bad idea. Also my comment was more referring to your suggestion that it gives the devs a chance to respond. They simply are not doing that.

Major changes like this shouldn't just be dumped on users. They got it completely wrong in this instance. They simply need to swallow their pride and revert the UI. At the very least, an option to access to the previous one. We are telling them that. That is the whole point of this forum. Otherwise ... what's the point in having it. They changed important aspects of Photoshop. The users told them we didn't like it. They changed it back. That is the way this is meant work.

So many of us have rolled back to R22.2 and won't upgrade again. While that's our bad many might argue, it's the first time I've EVER rolled back in over 25 yrs of using Premiere ...

But as always Kevin, you are engaged and here to interact with us. They should give you a pay rise or something. I appreciate your time as always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start referring to the update as "Ugly Sonic." Maybe that will clue in Adobe to what they could gain by listening to their customers. The movie producers listened and salvaged a franchise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The traditional "New Project" window was perfect in every way. It occupied a fraction of the screen, it allowed me to select various display formats. One click of the "Browse" button allowed me to quickly schoose the project location in the operating system's native file browser. I could pick my scratch disk locations. Everything was great. And more importantly, I knew where everything was and creating a new project was second nature. I grew up on Premiere with this new project screen.

Now, it's clunky, big, and unintuitive. The way it's designed feels like Adobe wants me to change how I begin new projects and how I ingest footage.

The project name text field is not highlighted by default, so an additional click is required to name the project. There is no longer a "Browse" button next to project location, so two clicks are now required to get into the native browser compared to the previous iteration. If I want to change scratch disk, color management, video or audio display formats, I need to dig into project settings, which requires more clicks. And on top of all that, the window occupies the entire screen, demanding even more mouse movement.

Clearly the 2022 New Project window wants me to ingest footage upon the creation of a new project. I am not going to do that. I'd much rather create my project, then select the footage I want to ingest through my operating system's native browser — this is how it's always been done, and it is second nature to me at this point.

This iteration feels geared towards newbies, which is fine. I welcome those who want to learn how to edit video, especially in Premiere. But re-designing something that ultimately makes me slower at work, especially when time is money, does not resonate well.

Everything in this post can be applied to the new export window as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just took this for a spin... this new interface, this decision, it's really quite strange. For the most part, nothing really has changed but it begs the question. Why? Who was this for? Ultimately it adds nothing. It introduces a new UI language just for Importing/Exporting. But all other aspects of Premiere are as they were. AME is as it was. It's abrasive. It doesn't look right, and it moves poorly (stutters on Win10). The arrangement of project and sequence name fields reminds me of that scene in Jurassic Park where Nedry breaks the sign and doesn't know which direction to go.

What was this supposed to offer? As an alternative file browser it makes less sense, it doesn't have traditional pro features like looking for clips through all folders in a hierarchy, or previewing an image sequence as a clip.

It's a strange path we're heading down. In trying to simplify this Premiere moment, it inadvertently makes things more complicated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's so bad. What an oversight. You need to be able to click on a previous name, edit and save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with Adobe?!! They keep making their apps worse and worse. Just as I was beginning to like Premiere Pro they completely ****** it up and now it absolutely sucks. Are they stupid? What is wrong with them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate it with passion as well but specifically not being able to create a new folder is a dealbreaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's problematic in it's intent, and frustrating for several reasons.

1. Essentially you are introducing a new UI/visual language in only 2 places (opening and import/export). This UI exists nowhere else in your user experience. For example, we all use AME. You've essentially reskinned AME just for this one moment. Outside of that, it's business as usual. Because of this, this decision is half baked, seemingly arbitrary, and abrasive to the day to day experience.

2. Too many UI's / visual languages. Now we have 3: The open/import/export, Premiere business as usual UI, and our operating system. The last of which is, has been, and should be more than adequate! So 3 UI experiences... The newly added interface is messy, sparse, INVASIVE, and ultimately not offering anything new other than immediate frustration and cute toggles.

3. It adds no functionality, creates extra steps to basic tasks, and also lacks expected production features. Generally, when post production software implements it's own folder UI, it does so to add functionality that supports it's purpose, like aggregation of image sequences into a single clip, or hierarchal folder see-through viewing. Not simply to reskin a tried and true thing that already exists.

4. In your attempt to simplify these 2 moments, you've overcomplicated daily/basic tasks for the long term user / professional.

I imagine this is all motivated by increasing the user base yearly, or an appeal to fresh content creators, or media buzz. We understand that stability, reliability, and performance isn't as attractive from a marketing standpoint, but it should be considered paramount above all.

If such a UI is necessary for a certain user base, why not split the path, tabling some of these decisions for an essentials or reduced type version (Premiere Rush)? Or introducing a mode switch: A Pro mode that is sensitive to consistency, with the complexity needed for users that require complete control, and a (for lack of a better term) Toy mode for drop in, drop out consumer content creators?

Let's not forget that this is software for career professionals. It's OK, if it's a little bit complex. That's how we learn. Production and Post-Production is inherently complex, always will, and should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Adobe's defense, it does provide more vertical room for UI controls for encoding settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree.
Why introduce a dumbed-down file creation?
Why would I be using Premiere and not know how to import footage AFTER setting up the project?
Why remove features like column view, new folder creation etc.?
Why make it so that it's so easy to make a mistake like selecting folders to import as footage rather than opening a single folder?
It makes me so frustrated, within a minute of trying to create a new project I was cursing Adobe for making such a stupid change.

Votes

Translate

Translate