Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

PDF Preview Handler missing in Outlook 365 Trust Center

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2021 Aug 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of my machines refuses to preview PDF files.

I have noticed that the PDF Preview Handler is missing from the file previewer list in the Outlook trust centre.

I have done a full repair of of Office 365. I have also uninstalled and re-installed Acrobat Reader.

Still no PDF Preview Handler.

How can I get it installed?

Thanks,

TOPICS
General troubleshooting, Share or review PDFs, View PDF, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Explorer , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021
It seems a distressingly common problem given how much I found with a Google search. It should be easy to fix for Adobe. Bob

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021
Hi Guys, I just spent a day trying to figure out what the issue was. What worked for me it putting both, office and adobe on the same 32bit version.As we rollout office 32 bit as standard, i didnt want to change this. Instead i uninstalled 64 bit adobe and re-installed 32bit. This has resolved the issue for me and a client. Hope it works for you guys! Kam

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021
Hi Default I anticipated this and found this article yesterday:  https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/PrefRef/Windows/Updater-Win.html?zoom_highlight=updates#idkeyname_1_20396 In registry at  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Legacy\Reader\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100} The key Mode can be set to:  0 = Do not download or install updates automatically 1 = same as 0 2 = Automatically download but let user choose when to install 3 = Automatically downlo...

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Default

I anticipated this and found this article yesterday: 
https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/PrefRef/Windows/Updater-Win.html?zoom_highlight=u...

In registry at 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Adobe\Adobe ARM\Legacy\Reader\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1033-7B44-AC0F074E4100}
The key Mode can be set to: 
0 = Do not download or install updates automatically
1 = same as 0
2 = Automatically download but let user choose when to install
3 = Automatically download and install updates (default)
4 = Notify user downloads available but do not download them

I set mine to 4 so in theory I should see when an update is available and go get the 32-bit version.  
So far so good... 

Adobe - please stop forcing the 64-bit version onto us! 

-Michael

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this fix however when I get to '\Legacy\Reader\' I do not have Reader.  The only option I have under legacy is Acrobat. Any other solutions?

I have the same issue that it is missing from the Outlook trust center.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This discussion thread pertains to the free Reader, not the full-featured Acrobat.  Sounds like you might be using Acrobat?  

If you are using the free Reader, have you already reverted to the 32-bit version as described above?  That is the fix for the missing Outlook preview.  This registry tweak is to stop Adobe from automatically "upgrading" you again to the 64-bit version.  And it seems to be working btw because I got a notification of an update yesterday that has not been automatically installed.  I still have the 32-bit version.  

-Michael

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

After enlightening my IT department that was clueless of everything I had researched and tried, you are pretty much right on target. I didn't have full-featured (or at least what I would consider as I can't merge, re-order, etc) but I did have Adobe Acrobat DC. They finally uninstalled and then installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit). Also when re-installing they turned off the ability for it to auto-update. I don't see that I have lost any function, I can still highlight, add a sticky note and sign / type, which is all I had before. 

I was glad I could give all the guidance I gained from this thread, it was nearly comical to watch them do something and say 'Nope, already did that!' multiple times.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad we could help.  I was going crazy with this one before finding this thread and Kamil's explanation of how to force the 32-bit install.  Prior to that I had even allowed an Adobe tech to share my desktop.  He tried everything that I had already tried and then gave up, said it was an Office problem!  I can't believe they pushed out the 64-bit version without testing it properly.  There must be hundreds of thousands of users out there now with the same missing preview problem.  If it ain't broke don't fix it!  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is happening to me too.

@MichaelExFairlight 's post I hope will solve it.

DrBob

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone actually get the pdf preview to work with the 64bit Reader? The 64bit version seems to have resolved a different integration we were having but has broken the Outlook preview handler. I tried a bunch of differnt reg combinations but could not find any combination of the clsid/progid that worked.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think it's possible, Ben.  The 64-bit version defines a 64-bit DLL as the previewer, and that is simply incompatible with 32-bit Outlook.  Even if you force the registry to refer to it, a 64-bit DLL cannot be used by a 32-bit Windows application. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe the processes have to match. The 32 bit reader previewed files fine in 32bit outlook 2013 and 64bit outlook 2019. Also outlook 2019 can preview excel files. Both of those apps are 64bit. This seems to be a distincly Adobe 64bit issue.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it can go down - 64bit Outlook ---> 32 bit reader - but it definitely doesn't go up - 32 bit Outlook and 64 bit reader.

And yes, IMHO this is DEFINITELY an Adobe issue, and they consistently try and refer us to Microsoft..

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a pro subscription the only solution I can find is to install Foxit or some other reader and make it the default. Far from ideal. Adobe can you please fix this? 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing a new Adobe reader and changing the version doesnt work if you have a Pro subscription as it automatically reverts to the Pro version after you down load and install a 32 bit or 64 bit reader.

If it isnt fixed I will cancel my Pro subscription. Sad really becasue Adobe has always been so rock solid and a lovely piece of software for me. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh joy...

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually got this working. We deploy the enterprise msi with a transform. We only apply a few settings in the transform so I was able to narrow it down in a few hours. Once I changed Default viewer for PDF files: to Installer will decide... in the customization wizard

bens61053936_0-1632922234540.png

and redeployed the reader to our users, the preview started working again.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thank you for reporting this and sorry for the trouble.

Please try the steps suggested by Ankit Kumar Gupta in the following community for  a similar issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader-discussions/how-can-i-make-32-bit-reader-update-to-onl...

Hope the information helps.

Thanks,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

(Personal info removed by Mod: email)

kinkaung499@kaungkin.com

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines