"Save As" box is blank

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Save As" box is coming up completely blank when I try to save a PDF to my desktop.  I am on a MAC.  It used to show up options to name a file and save to any location - but now it is completely blank

TOPICS
General troubleshooting , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 9 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Hi Yvonnec79586663,

The default "Save As" dialog in Acrobat DC is different than the dialog you've had in earlier releases of Acrobat; it also allows you to save to the cloud and previous locations you've dedicated files to.

It is possible that when Acrobat tries to connect to "The cloud," it runs into problems.

You may want to try to turn this feature off to see if that brings your "Save As" dialog back-

• Open up Acrobat's preferences, Edit>Preferences.
  • Then go to the "General" category and d

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Hello Qnl,

As per the description above, you are not getting the Save option as a blank white box appears, Is that correct?

Please navigate to preferences of Acrobat/Reader from Edit>Preferences>General and uncheck(deselect) these two following options:

1. Show online storage when opening files.
  2. Show online storage when saving files.

If the issue persists, please share the following details:

1. Is it Acrobat or Reader installed , check from Help>About Adobe Acrobat/Reader.
  2. Is it a Mac or Windows machine?

Hop

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Hi Marischmitt,

As you have mentioned above, you are referring that the Save as the window opens blank when you try to save the PDF.

If that is the case, please try the steps mentioned below:

- Launch the application and go to Edit > Preferences > General.

- Then uncheck the box for "Show online storage when saving the files".

- Click "OK" at bottom of the preferences window.

Check if you can save the files now.

Let us know if you need any help.

Regards,

Meenakshi

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Go to Edit - Preferences - General and disable "Show online storage when saving files" and "Show online storage when opening files".

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Hello Kimr,

We're sorry for the trouble you had, you can disable the Adobe Cloud Storage service using Adobe Customization Wizard DC, you can also use the Windows Registry to turn these service off.

Please refer to the following Adobe article and discussion for the steps Disable online services/features in Acrobat Reader DC?

Registry Key to Disable Cloud Storage in Creative Cloud

You can also refer to Welcome to the Wizard — Acrobat Customization Wizard DC for Windows and Installation and setup — Acrobat Customization Wizard DC for Windows

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

[Edited]

Hi there

The planned update for Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC version 21.07.20099  is now available. Please update the application from the help menu > Check for updates  and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html  and see if that works for you.

For more information about the new release please check the help page https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-discussions/adobe-acrobat-and-reader-october-21-updates-are-l...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Hi there

Hope you are doing well and sorry to hear that. As described you get the blank  white screen on saving the PDFs.

Please go to Edit (Win), Adobe Acrobat (Mac) > Preferences > General > Uncheck 'Show online storage when saving file' and 'Show online storage when opening file' > Click OK and reboot the computer once and check.

Regards

Amal

Translate

Translate
Dec 01, 2021 Dec 01, 2021

Hi @Russell219905543nce 

Hope you are doing well.

As you are unable to save the document. Please try  going to Edit>Preferences>General>Basic tools and deselect the boxes that say "Show online storage when opening files" and "Show online storage when saving files".

Let us know how it works at your end. If you have any further queries please feel free to reach out to us.

Regards

Ria

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Hi there

Sorry to keep you waiting. The planned update for Adobe Acrobat/Reader DC version 21.11.20039  is now available. Please update the application from the help menu > Check for updates  and reboot the computer once.

You may also download the patch manually from the link https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/ReleaseNotesDC/index.html  and see if that works for you.

For more information about the new release please check the help page https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/whats-new.html

Translate

Translate
replies 300 Replies 300
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Yvonnec79586663,

The default "Save As" dialog in Acrobat DC is different than the dialog you've had in earlier releases of Acrobat; it also allows you to save to the cloud and previous locations you've dedicated files to.

It is possible that when Acrobat tries to connect to "The cloud," it runs into problems.

You may want to try to turn this feature off to see if that brings your "Save As" dialog back-

• Open up Acrobat's preferences, Edit>Preferences.
  • Then go to the "General" category and deselect "Show online storage when saving files."

SS_0-1655799619776.png

Let us know if this doesn't help you.

Regards,

Akanchha

[Edited with updated information]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked perfectly, thanks!!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me.  Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 and I'm running into this problem. 4-years after this post. Wow... Thanks very much for the workaround!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.  I've had this problem since upgrading to Big Sur, but the same solution worked for me too.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2021 Sep 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Had the same problem in Sept 2021. The solution worked. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well September 2021

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked perfectly here 27 of september 2021

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workgroup is also having this issue on pc now in Dec 2021

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Deseleting "Show online storage when saving files" worked. Can you explain why Acrobat would run into problems when trying to connect to the cloud?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I think that enabling or disabling this preference may run into issues depending on certain system requirements, user preferences at the desktop level, security layers and other javascript sandboxing preferences.

Such preferences settings may also interfere with other operating systems integration settings, such as : web browser security zones, operating system firewall rules,  external routers, online proxy services, or a restrictive  VPN service, to include fluctuating  Internet service speeds, or even using Adobe Acrobat via the  Creative Cloud Desktop app  to collaborate online with other Adobe programs (like Photoshop, Illustrator,  XD, for example).

It may also be that using  Adobe Acrobat Pro DC with a parallel installation of Adobe Reader DC leads to misbehaviors because both of these programs also share   share some of the same  software libraries.

OR, maybe if Acrobat is used as a stand alone program but the user decides to configure additional third-party Cloud storage services (other than the Document Cloud)... it could also lead to  other issues. 

I personally have never run into this issue since I started using Acrobat and Reader back in 2019.

But all of these settings and preferences ( mentioned above)  play an important role that at some point can run into issues and deserves attention during unattended system updates.

Sometimes, having a fully updated system  doesn't necessarily means that duplicated old system files are removed from prior installations of the Acrobat program.

Even orphan registry entries (if on MS Windows) or  Plist (if using macOS), remain as stubborn traces of the old software.

However, It is my understaing that "Show Online Storage" is basically a setting that enables online collaboration and file synchronization services; the online storage location acts as a temporary file storage space (if I am not mistaken).

When you collaborate online and have enabled a file synchronizing service in the background, the online storage folder will continue to act as a temporary cache until the file that you're working with is fully saved to an online folder in a cloud space, or fully downloaded or saved to a local folder in a computer device.

So, it is worth noting that when you're working with an opened document in Acrobat, specially if that document is using online storage services, the pages that your currently viewing in your screen, as you're scrolling up and down, are actually downloaded in the background one page at a time... just food for thought.

It is always a good rule of thumb to disconnect your computer from the Internet and see if you would get the same problem when working completely offline and  with that particular setting enabled.

Converseley, if you were having issues before that setting was disabled when  you went online, then compare the Acrobat's performance and behavior when other programs are in closed state or open state .

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2021 Sep 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciated this breakdown in language that easy to understand. Thanks for spending the time to explain!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How simple--but so "not obvious." This fixed what had become quite an irritating issue. Thank you so much!!!

Trish

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me, thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It didn't work for me. Could you please let me know how to get this working?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same issue, it was fixed by following your instructions above, but now after saving there is just a blank screen over my entire document and I cannot use the program at all, even to open another file or to hit exit on the window. 

Any fixes for this?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!! saved my day!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue - THANK YOU for showing how to fix - shame on Adobe for not fixing this bug

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for solving this!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2021 Oct 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how can this really be the answer?   Something as simple as SAVE AS doesnt work unless you go change a setting.  how utterly disappointing that ADOBE is not falling all over themselves apologizing for releasing this. and they arent fixing it.... sigh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2021 Oct 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is exactly that: curing this bug will not make Adobe more money, so nobody at Adobe will take their feet off the desk to fix it. A billion-dollar software corporation that simply doesn't care about a fundamental and incredibly amateur bug in something as critical (and simple) as a Save dialogue, so lets it go unfixed for four years and counting. But hey, the shareholders are happy with all those fat monthly Cash Cow payments rolling in, so who cares about a few bugs or hiring some competent developers?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me as well, had the same issue on October 28, 2021.  Thank you for providing this guidance.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, but I found it on a university's psychology department website before being able to find the fix here. The classic Adobe experience.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

November 2021 and this issue still pops up randomly. Fix the thing right for once!

On top of that, yes your fix works but it needs to be done every single time I open the application. It doesn't remember the new setting, ever.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines