Highlighted

How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat to default settings.

Hi Somasunder,

Here's how to do it :

Restore the Acrobat Preferences folder (Windows)

Restore the Acrobat Preferences folder to eliminate problems that damaged preferences cause. Most preference problems are caused by these file-based preferences, although most Acrobat preferences are stored within the registry.

Note:

This solution removes custom settings for Collaboration, JavaScripts, Security, Stamps, Color Management, Auto Fill, Web Capture, and Updater.

• Quit Acrobat.
  • In Windows Explorer, go to the Preferences folder:

• (Windows 7/Vista) C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]
    • (XP) C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]
  • Move the Preferences folder to another location (for example, C:\Temp).

• Restart Acrobat.

[Moderator note: The AppData / Application Data folder is hidden by default. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files on how display them ]

If the problem recurs after you restore the Acrobat Preferences  folder, then the problem isn’t related to the Preferences folder. To restore custom settings, drag the folder you moved in step 2 back to its original location. Then click Yes To All to replace the new Preferences folder.

Restore the Acrobat preferences files (Mac OS)

Restore the Acrobat preferences files to eliminate problems caused by a damaged preferences file.

Note:

Re-creating the Acrobat preferences files restores settings to their defaults.

• Quit Acrobat.
  • Drag the following files from the Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences folder to the Desktop:

• Acrobat WebCapture Cookies
    • com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist or com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro_x86_9.0.plist
    • Acrobat Distiller Prefs and com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist (if you are troubleshooting an issue with Distiller)
    • The Acrobat folder, which contains preferences for forms (MRUFormsList), collaboration (OfflineDocs), and color settings (AcrobatColor Settings.csf)
  • Restart Acrobat

If the problem recurs after you restore the Acrobat preferences files, then the problem isn’t related to preferences files. To restore custom settings, drag the files you moved in step 2 back to their original location. Then click OK to the alert “A newer item named ‘[filename]’ already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the older one you're moving?”

Regards,
Rahul

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat.

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to reset Preference settings in Acrobat to default settings.

Hi Somasunder,

Here's how to do it :

Restore the Acrobat Preferences folder to eliminate problems that damaged preferences cause. Most preference problems are caused by these file-based preferences, although most Acrobat preferences are stored within the registry.

Note:

This solution removes custom settings for Collaboration, JavaScripts, Security, Stamps, Color Management, Auto Fill, Web Capture, and Updater.

• Quit Acrobat.

• (XP) C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]

• Restart Acrobat.

[Moderator note: The AppData / Application Data folder is hidden by default. See: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files on how display them ]

If the problem recurs after you restore the Acrobat Preferences  folder, then the problem isn’t related to the Preferences folder. To restore custom settings, drag the folder you moved in step 2 back to its original location. Then click Yes To All to replace the new Preferences folder.

Restore the Acrobat preferences files to eliminate problems caused by a damaged preferences file.

Note:

• Quit Acrobat.
  • Drag the following files from the Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences folder to the Desktop:

• Acrobat Distiller Prefs and com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro.plist (if you are troubleshooting an issue with Distiller)
    • The Acrobat folder, which contains preferences for forms (MRUFormsList), collaboration (OfflineDocs), and color settings (AcrobatColor Settings.csf)
  • Restart Acrobat

If the problem recurs after you restore the Acrobat preferences files, then the problem isn’t related to preferences files. To restore custom settings, drag the files you moved in step 2 back to their original location. Then click OK to the alert “A newer item named ‘[filename]’ already exists in this location. Do you want to replace it with the older one you're moving?”

Regards,
Rahul

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 07, 2014 4
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Somasunder,

Here's how to do it :

Note:

• Quit Acrobat.

• Restart Acrobat.

Note:

• Quit Acrobat.

• Restart Acrobat

Regards,
Rahul

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2015 3
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running windows 10 with Acrobat 11.014.

No updates.

Did a search, but windows explorer perferences did not come up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 14, 2016 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Feb 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AppData is a hidden folder, make sure you are looking at hidden folders. You can save time by using Windows Key+R, then typing %APPDATA%  (with two percent signs) and you should see the AppData\Roaming folder, containing Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 15, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone in 2019 or 2020 having Acrobat DC Pro issues with the application opening and then closing immediately, here's what worked for me:

Right click on the app icon and select RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Fixed.

Yep. Didn't even have to do that next time I opened it. It allowed me to sign in, it updated automatically and immediately to reflect my purchase and everything works as it should.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 12, 2020 0
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but didn't fix the problem!

Alan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2016 2
Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What IS the problem? The original question didn't give a problem, and was a year ago.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 18, 2016 0
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping someone can help me with more or less the same problem. I'm using Acrobat 9.5 on Windows 10. I have distributed forms as recent as two weeks ago, however now every time I try to distribute a form, Adobe crashes. I'm using the same form that worked two weeks ago and a few added pages. The form is set to correct email responses back to me, and not use Adobe Live to get the results. I've repaired 3 times, restarted PC 3 times, moved preferences from roaming profile, typed in email addresses separated by commas and not a group email, checked security antivirus blocks, started a new form from scratch, and nothing has worked. Any suggestions? I'm at a loss.

form error PM.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2016 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Day 3 and this didn't fix my freezing issue either Acrobat Pro DC ver. 15.006.30121 which is the most current...:-(

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 06, 2016 1
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  that fixed my problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 22, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue on Win 7. I can save my PDF to jpeg, but not png (getting error msg about insufficient disk space, as well). Tried looking for that Preferences folder mentioned, but can't find it anywhere. HALP!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2016 0
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I do this for Windows 10?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I double-clicked a PDF file, I was getting a "Fatal Error: Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server."

AcrobatError.png

RahulTyagi_ 's solution worked. I moved the Preferences folder, relaunched Acrobat DC, and PDF files opened without the error.

This process did NOT create a new Preferences folder, but it did add (or update) two files in the UserPrefs folder:

• UserPrefs_Acrobat.txt
  • ValidPrefValue_Acrobat.txt

I'm running Acrobat DC on Win7.

Thank you, Rahul! I hope this helps others with the same problem.

Chris

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2017 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Windows 10 there is no "Preference" folder - not even hidden.  To follow these instructions you have to open the version folder

Then rename the JSCache folder and the Security folder

Open adobe and when you try to print it will create new folders.

I have no idea why or how they get corrupted but I'm guessing that's what happened AND this was how I fixed my issue

Which was:  upon hitting print either nothing happened at all and nothing went to print queue -- hit print again and  I got the 'document cannot be printed' message - click ok and I got another message but can't remember what it was, although it was not the one about 'no pages selected to print' - mine was an actual error message

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does not work. The above steps were carried out by a remote session on this computer by Adobe Staff today. It failed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 12, 2018 0
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help. I have Windows 10 and Adobe Acrobat Pro DC version 2019.010.20091.  I also have the issue where only the first page of a multi-page document is scanned. I have downloaded the latest software for my Brother multifunction unit.  I am not following the messages above.  What step-by-step actions do I do to correct this issue, please.  Thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Feb 19, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting...it neither worked nor did it create a new preferences folder.  Sigh.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2016 1
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, did an uninstall and a total reinstall from a new DVD.  That went well.  Checked for updates; OK downloaded and attempted to install.

Got an error 1328.  Suggestions most welome.  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid resetting these preferences does not solve my problem

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2016 0
Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's only one right place per version of the software.  What software and version? Mac or Windows?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 29, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 7.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2016 0
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Pro XI

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2016 0
Aug 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, the right place from the instructions is C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]

This folder is hidden by default, but type this into Windows Explorer instead

%appdata%\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\11.0

To type this into a Windows Explorer window go to the title and click to the RIGHT of any name in the white space, then a space will open to type it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 02, 2016 0
Enthusiast ,
Aug 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the right place of the instruction is C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\[version]

but type in the windows explorer is %appdata%\Adobe\Acrobat\11.0 (No need to type "Roaming")

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 31, 2016 1