Highlighted

Activate/Deactivate Adobe Apps

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

Lately, we ran across a lot of queries around activation and deactivation of the Creative Cloud apps and other Adobe software. We understand the process can be confusing, however, it's definitely not burdensome. Below shared are a few helpful articles that will help you understand the process:

Find information on Activating products like Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC & CS6, and earlier:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/activate-deactivate-products.html

Activate and deactivate Creative Cloud apps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/activate-deactivate-creative-cloud-apps.ug.html

Here is how you can permanently delete your Adobe account from our records:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/manage-account/using/delete-adobe-account.html

You might run into a very common error ' Activation limit reached ' while using Creative Cloud, please see this link to solve the error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/activation-limit-reached-creative-cloud.html

Feel free to post in the community for any questions. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Topics

Activation, CC FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Activate/Deactivate Adobe Apps

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear users, 

Lately, we ran across a lot of queries around activation and deactivation of the Creative Cloud apps and other Adobe software. We understand the process can be confusing, however, it's definitely not burdensome. Below shared are a few helpful articles that will help you understand the process:

Find information on Activating products like Creative Cloud, Acrobat DC & CS6, and earlier:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/download-install/kb/activate-deactivate-products.html

Activate and deactivate Creative Cloud apps:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/activate-deactivate-creative-cloud-apps.ug.html

Here is how you can permanently delete your Adobe account from our records:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/manage-account/using/delete-adobe-account.html

You might run into a very common error ' Activation limit reached ' while using Creative Cloud, please see this link to solve the error:

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/kb/activation-limit-reached-creative-cloud.html

Feel free to post in the community for any questions. 

Thanks 

Kanika Sehgal 

Topics

Activation, CC FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are removing Creative Suite software from you computer and installing it on another computer, you'll need to deactivate the software. Remember that you must first deactivate your software before you uninstall it on one computer and install it on another. Unistalling does not deactivate your Adobe software automatically.

Note: Lightroom does not have an activate/deactivate option.

To deactivate the software from your computer:

1. Make sure the computer that has the software installed is connected to the Internet.
  2. Choose Help > Deactivate in the product you wish to deactivate.  If you have a suite then choosing one of the products will Deactivate the entire sute.
  3. Select Deactivate Permanently

For troubleshooting information related to Adobe activation and deactivation, see Activation, Deactivation | Adobe Products.

This document contains information on common questions related to activation and deactivation such as:

- Uninstalled the software without deactivating it.

- No access to previous computer : Lost, Stolen, and crashed computers.

- Deactivation option is disabled.

- Options to contact Customer support. The page is Chat enabled. You will be able to chat with a person as soon as a tech support person is available.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have deactivated/removed Adobe Pro on my old lap top.  I want to re-download/einstall to my new lap top.   How do I do this?

Thank you,

Barb Preikstas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could I ask u a question? first,I install PS CS6 ,then,I wrote wrong numbers.Now,I can't input the nums. How to solve the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sold my old laptop after removing all programs and files. But I did not know I had to deactivate my Dreamweaver Cs$. How can I solve this issue, I cannot install it in my new computer. Cause it says is already on two, and I don't even have it anymore.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

facing the same problem as you, CS5 on two computers. One that doesn't work and a new one where I installed CS5 again. Same problem as you to use CS5 for me. Very annoying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose Help>Deactivate where? From within the program? On the Adobe website. Does this apply to LR? Under Help in LR there is no deactivate option.

Dan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, this was very helpful. I did discover that the 'deactivate' option was not available until I opened an actual document. I started Acrobat Reader Pro X and selected 'Help' on the menu bar but noticed that the 'deactivate' menu item was disabled. So, I selected or opened one of my recent reader files. After the file opened, I selected the 'help' category on the menu bar, again. This time the 'Activate' item was available. As you posted, It asked me if I wanted to do this temporarily or permanently. Thanks again . I need to transfer applications and files to a newer laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to deactivate XI pro because I have to send my dell in for service and I am not sure if they will replace it. There is no deactivation option in the help menu. I looked for it after opening a pdf file and still did not see it. Any suggestions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reached my 2-computer limit for my Acrobat X Pro - but both of the computers it was installed on are dead. The first was a desktop that died last year. The other was my laptop that died a few weeks ago, but I was able to move the hard drive to a new (actually a used) similar laptop. Now I get the message that I have reached my limit & can't do another install, yet neither of my other installs is in use OR able to be deactivated by any means that I know of. Any ideas on what  I can do???

[email address removed by host]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RichGopen -- you would have to contact Adobe customer service (see link at bottom of the page), they're the only ones who can really help with that for the activation database on their end.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to deactivate serial before uninstall of wrong disk in bundle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I would be able to take the serial munber before install Adobe elementes 8 in my lapa top?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deactived a version of photoshop on a computer that no longer works and have been using Photoshop on my newer desktop for several years (just one copy).  I have just purchased a new laptop and it says that I have two copies already.  How can I use my second copy on my new laptop.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have not got deactivated properly from your old computer hence contact Adobe Support to get the count of activation resetted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do we get Adobe to reset the activations?  I have three activations on "dead" computers, and now I can't get my current to work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost an HD on my 21.5" iMac which finally resulted in Apple replacing the computeer so one cc of CS6 went down with that HD.   I then bought a 27" with the 1GB graphic card and put 16GB mem in it.  But I get thethe "deactivate" pop up and I only have it installed on thhis and my Macbook.

could you help please??  I have had enough grief with the last couple of weeks downtime.

Ed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was JRojas quesiton ever answered?  I did much the same thing (uninstalled everything and gave the laptop to my sister).  How can one deactivate software that is no longer in one's possession?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will be unable to deactivate remotely.  If you end up running into this difficulty then I would recommend contacting our support team.  We can evaluate your previous activations and override as needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem now. Can you remotely deactivate a previous installation in a computer I no longer have access to?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No redemptory it is not possible to remotely deactivate a computer which was not activated.  If you are in an over activated state however please contact our support team directly at Contact Customer Care as discussed within this discussion.

I would recommend re-reviewing the document referenced in message #64:

Learn to activate or deactivate Adobe apps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been there and through chat they replied they do not provide supoort to previous versions!!! This is so stupid and frustrating! You pay for an expensive application and keep circling in rounds for support! No possibility to send e-mail and/or phone!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this thread still active? I have a CS3 Design Standard licence for 3 devices. One is in use, another was on an old XP computer  where I did not deactivate it (PC is gone) and another is on my old notebook. I installed it on my new PC and can't use it because the numbers of activations exceeds the limit, which is true.

My problem #1: How can I deactivate the license on the first old PC that I no longer have access to?

Problem #2: On the notebook, I cannot click "deactivate", the button is gray in Acrobat and stays gray even after opening a document and waiting for some hours (as was suggested somwhere). In Photoshop, there isn't even a Help>Deactivate button.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ma40672254 did you try the suggestions offered in post #70 of the discussion you responded too?  If so do you have a case number from your contact with our support team that I can reference?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a loaner computer that wasn't deactivated when I returned it. iTunes has a method of deactivating all computers virtually. I didn't see that option here. I'm going to send an email to Adobe.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iTunes is basically reseting your activations.  Our support teams can accomplish the same task for you as well.  I would recommend going to Adobe.com and selecting Help>Contact Us.  Once you choose the applicable options for your application you will be able to locate the support options available for your region.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what can i do to get my pc to download this

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnny146 wrote:

so what can i do to get my pc to download this

Download what ???

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what do we do if your deactivation servers are "down"? I've tired to do Help > Deactivate for the last day and it keeps saying:

ScreenShot128.jpg

I've done this 10 times before and I can connect up to Adobe Updates, so I can connect to Adobe, but I just keep getting this error message.  I can hit retry and it takes a few minutes but still comes back to the same error message.  I don't have any proxy's, or firewalls.  Chat said I should contact support, but... he was support, wasn't he?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is likely you have a software firewall issue or need to modify your host file.  The activation servers have not been down recently.  Please see Sign in or activation errors | CS6, CS5.5 Subscriptions, CS6 Perpetual - http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/x-productkb/policy-pricing/activation-network-issues.html for steps on how you can resolve this difficulty.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently successfully moved my activation to a new SSD drive in my computer (CS5.5 Design Premium and Lightroom 3). However, I have suffered a catastrophic failure of the drive, and cannot access any of the data on it. How can I deactivate the software to rebuild on another hard disk?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i also have this problem. i have had a major system crash and can not access my software to deactivcate it.  can this be done by phone?  i am in australia...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@danieljenkins, and @BROSSEY

No need to worry, simply call Adobe Support to get the activation count reset.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just contacted support via chat because my system motherboard was replaced (and I cannot deactivate that device).

The chat rep made me wait 5 minutes before he/she wrote that support could not deactivate subscription devices and that I would have to do it myself.  He offered to send me a link to the online support pages (where I found the instructions to contact Support).

This is just awful.  I guess I will have to cancel my subscription.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozdachs what type of subscription do you have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud.  Two computer are apparently allowed (desktop and laptop).  I'm only using this laptop mostly, but its motherboard was bad.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is Creative Cloud then you should be able to activate on a third computer yourself.  The remaining activations should become available within 72 hours.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am fairly confused about this activation.

After the new motherboard was installed, the first Adobe product I ran asked me to sign in to activate the subscription.  I did, and everything seemed okay.

Then, maybe after a reboot, Acrobat asked to be activated.  I signed in and was told that I had exceeded the subscription activation number. That's when i started looking for support.

Other Adobe products kept working.

Now I can start Acrobat XI Pro without any problems or getting any messages.

If you did something, thanks!  If you didn't do anything, then this whole activation process remains a mystery, but I am up and happy... but wary.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never ever left 1 message except this one. I dont know who contacted you`ll & i would love to find out who did. With all respect (jeanette)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

East_jeanette did you have a specific inquiry?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last computer iss dead, I can no longer turn it on to deactivate my creative suite, what do I do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you receive a message that you have exceeded your amount of allowable activations then please contact our support team.  Please try installing prior to contacting them though as they will not be able to assist you unless the software is installed and you are receiving an activation error.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar problem, did you get an answer from somebody? Minulla on sama tilanne, saitko vastauksen?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did manage to install my Photoshop CS2 to another mac, but it collapses all the time after a few minutes. No messages at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted customer service as instructed regarding this issue with Adobe Acrobat X Pro. I was told by customer service that there was nothing they could do and I would have to purchase and upgrade the newest XI version. I attempted to speak with a supervisor, but was denied the ability to speak with anyone else. I was told that all Adobe products have a one year license and confirmed this with the individual by asking if he meant that I would have to purchase the software each year. He replied affirmatively. At this point I knew for sure that the person I was speaking with was either trying to upsell me or didn't know his job. The person's name was Mohammed Tarrique and he used PCTech Support to remote into the laptop which was receiving the error message at 2:18pm EST on 4/17/13. I have a screenshot I took of it. I'm left wondering if there's another way to handle this since customer service didn't work.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storacewealth do you receive an error message when you try to activate Acrobat X Professional?  Also which operating system are you using?  Finally do you have a case number I can reference for your interaction with our support team.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff, the message I receive is, "Activation limit reached for Acrobat X Pro" I am running Windows 7 and I never received a case number as Mr. Tarrique shut down our remote session and hung the phone up on me when I insisted on speaking with someone else.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Storacewealth I looked up the serial number registered to your account and it appears that you were able to activate successfully today and still have an activation remaining.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for some reason when I opened the software to get the error message it wasn't working, but when I went back to check after you left this message it worked. Whatever you were able to do, I appreciate it. I use the software for business and need it both on my desktop and laptop. Much appreciated. Thank you also for your very timely assistance. I'll come to this forum first next time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the exact same experience.  I work in our IT department and we are replacing over 100 computers.  There is no way we are going to purchase 100 new license of Acrobat 9.  And there is no way for us to decativate any of these copies in our coporate environment.  Some of these computers are completely dead, and the response we get from Adobe is essential "you're SOL".  Hate to say it, but if that is the kind of treatment corporate users get, don't be surprised when millions of licenses show up as keygen'd only to find that when you pursue it legally we have licenses for all copies we use that exactly match the number of users, and you just wasted a ton of money in legal fees. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VQBlades do you have a case number from your interaction with our support team that I can reference?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a new MacBook Pro Retina and moved the CS5.5 to my new Retina. The previous MBP was completely erased.

Trying to put CS5.5 on a 2nd Mac and it says I cannot due to the 2nd MBP is using the license.

Any suggestions as to how get to use CS5 on my second home family Mac?

Thx Much and Merry Christmas

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have an Adoble Photoshop Element 8.0

I recently sent my old laptop to my grandmother and i forgot to deactive it. Is there any possible way to deactivate it from my account or something?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JuliAnne1230 please see message #33.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi- do you have to choose deactivate permanently?  I am pretty confused about this whole thing with 2 computers- i want to use cs5.5 on my imac and macbook pro but I guess that is really not possible.  thanks-

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you don't need to deactivate permanently you are always welcome to reactivate on the same computer at a later time.  You can also install and activate on up to two computers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my CS located on a Macbook Pro and iMac. The iMac died but, I was able to rescue the hard drive. The hard drive has been put into an external enclosure. Is it possible to deactivate the software on the external hard drive without calling Adobe Support? I have called in the past and the support I recieved was great! Just trying to keep this simple.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AltoBanor the only they this would be possible is if you booted from the external drive and then used the Help>Deactivate options within the application.

I would recommend that you migrate over only your documents and settings from the previous drive.  Once this is done you can then reinstall on the new hard drive/computer.  Once the installation is complete please activate the software.  If you end up receiving an error at that time then please contact our support team to resolve your activation difficulties.  You can reach chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6.

I believe this will be more expedient than trying to boot from your external drive.  Also please make sure not to copy your applications from the external drive but instead install them.  This is why I was specific with the suggestion to only migrate over your documents and settings.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a client with Adobe Acrobat X. We are tryign to install on a new computer he will be using but it says he has reached the limit. I have the old computer with the las tinstall on it but there is no option for Deactivate under the Help Tab. Anyone run into this before?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contactpointe have you contact our support team to reset your activations per the original message in this discussion?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they contacted them and there was some issue. Not sure if it was a problem with proof of ownership or something else but they were not able to reset. The purchase of the software was made by a previous IT services provider and I do not think paperwork was properly passed on. I was just trying to find out why the deactivate option would be gone completely to try and resolve the issue for them without purchasing another license.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your activations have been exceeded then you would need to work with our support team to resolve this difficulty.  There is nothing you can do from your side to resolve this concern short of purchasing a new license or providing the entitlement information required to allow our support team to reset your activations.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines