Highlighted

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Adobe Muse EOL announcement - Alternatives to Adobe Muse?

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

For those of you that haven't received the email around the Adobe Muse EOL, see the FAQ Product Announcement that tries to answer some the common questions around the announcement including the reasons behind the decision.

Before we proceed with discussing alternatives, the Muse application will continue to open on your computer. You will be able to continue to edit existing or create new websites with the application. Adobe Muse will continue to be supported until May 20, 2019 and will deliver compatibility updates with the Mac and Windows OS or fix any bugs that might crop up when publishing Muse sites to the web. However, it is quite possible that web standards and browsers will continue to change after Adobe stops support for the application.

While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage, the FAQ link above provides some alternatives. Also, Adobe is making our own investment in DIY website creation and welcomes all Muse customers to join our upcoming pre-release program for a new format that will be introduced this year as part of Adobe Spark. Build a beautiful website—in minutes | Adobe Spark

That being said, I would like to open up this discussion for discussing other solutions and migration paths. It would be ideal if we could focus our efforts on the topic at hand.

Thanks,

Preran

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 26, 2018 5
2432 Replies 2432
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens to the synced Typekit fonts beyond May 2019 when doing updates - will functionality to that stop too and Muse will revert to the basic fonts within the program?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 19
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cheeky71, your Typekit license is associated with your Creative Cloud account, so there will be no interruption in service.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. Muse is associated with CC too...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fonts using typekit will be still available according to your license.There is no reason that typekit fonts won't be available any more. This said, if you stop your subscription, the font will fallback to what is available with a free id. I have no idea what fonts will then be available.

Regards,
Abambo
Hard- and Software Engineer and Photographer

I'm not an Adobe employee. All advice constitutes my own opinion. Use at your risk! 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are more info here:

https://www.muse-themes.com/blogs/news/the-final-release-of-adobe-muse

and is strange that you can find more answers from "another" company instead the one who create Muse-

anyway

this roadmap was ,for sure, scheduled.

but Adobe seems to do not care at customers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 7
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the early '90s I have used Adobe products like Photoshop, Illustrator, Distiller, etc and I have always been a customer since. I have seen many apps come and go. Almost all web development tools from Adobe came and went quickly. For Golive I had many third party widgets and after learning all ins- and outs of the program I could make nice websites. Although it wasn't the best app around I didn't want to learn code and coding. It was workable and with some (limited) integration with the other apps from Adobe the way to go. When it was abandoned I wasn't happy to say the least. Now it happens again with Muse.

Over the years Adobe has changed a lot. In my opinion the worst and mayor business decision has been, as far as I can tell, to separate coding and development from the owners and business decision makers in America. Since that time (10-15 years ago) customer support has been terrible, no real involvement and 'ownership' of the products with the coders and developers, poor business planning, lack of feeling with the clients, constantly shifting business focus, etc. It's nice to cut down costs to ship all coding to India but when your business was originated primarely in America it is a real challenge to keep thing together businesswise. Adobe doesn't succeed in this area. This isn't an 'America first' statement. It's a challenge for every business to grow and keep things together. Just to be focused and heading in the same direction.

One other major point was the business takeovers you have done: Aldus, Macromedia and many more. Ok that's basicly business competition. What it has done as a result is that there is no real competition anymore and Adobe has a (certain) monopoly in many areas. There's very little need for excellence anymore.

The last two and a half decades I have seen Adobe shifting away from an enthousiast group of developers and salesmen who where proud of the products they made as a whole. Adobe's product meetings have always been a glimps of the future with driven people who were keen to tell the story and hear from you as a user/customer. Just to make there and to a certain degree my product even better. That's a different feeling from a show and a company that just want's you to buy an upgrade due to a few changes and additions to the existing product.

The inspiring atmosphere at Adobe is long gone. I don't believe your future anymore and with whatever you come up with in terms of products I tend to search elsewere first. I have seen all the new developments the last couple of years. So many new logo's and product names where introduced that I lost overview and asked myself time after time what it had to do with my business. Do I need it? Many seemed pointless without a strategy. Without a relationship with my business. Many developments never saw the light after announcement. Sad but the truth. I know I can't do without Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. But that's it for me. Adobe isn't the future anymore.

The litany of (short lifecycle) products and business decisions over the years show a company with a few cash cows like Photoshop and no real leadership in terms of customer satisfaction and hardly no strategic knowledge. The Adobe company is just money driven and the true spirit is gone. That makes Adobe is still drifting and letting go Muse is one example of this. So sad...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 2
Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"and but the truth. I know I can't do without Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign. But that's it for me. Adobe isn't the future anymore." check out affinity photo and affinity designer (and the soon to be released affinity publisher) I think you will be surprised

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im never using any of your aps except ps, indeed ai and prep   again  as i no longer trust you 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 110
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true. Time and again we spend countless hours learning these tools and they just dump us. It happened with Fireworks, Reflow, Edge Code etc. We pay to be treated like guinea pigs with software that isn't up to scratch when it's released then, when it's just getting up to standard, we get dumped.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 84
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.change.org/p/adobe-systems-adobe-do-not-discontinue-muse

Absolute Disgrace!!!!!!!! Sign to get adobe's attention!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 6
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

start a class action maybe adobe will listen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of this reading, what I can see, despite the fact that Adobe really should care about their customers, there are two main options out from some vendors from muse-themes.com and musegrid.com. Others might follow soon with some new.

It is named "Without Code" from muse-themes and "Webflow": Goodbye, Muse​ from musegrid.

Brad Lawryk also suggested wappler.io . It´s in a crowdfunding state right now so let´s see what´s next.

Best Regards,

Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 2
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

escreveu

https://www.change.org/p/adobe-systems-adobe-do-not-discontinue-muse

Absolute Disgrace!!!!!!!! Sign to get adobe's attention!

Signed

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 2
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muse themes sounds like they might have a good alternative

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you ever ask your loyal customers.... CUSTOMERS....(DON'T FORGET ABOUT WHO PAYS THE BILLS), to test, or try any other applications when you have demonstrated time and time again this unforgivable approach to software.

What do I tell my dozens of clients about their websites now??

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know how long have the developers of plugins known because our subscriptions to these plugin makers have been ticking over and many of us have resubscribed for another year of new plugins that are now useless to us????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would hazard a guess of at least 6 months! but I'm sure not all of the third-parties knew.
Muse has at least another good year left in it so the plugins I would imagine still to work... I'm not really sure after that?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. Between the Ps and AI free alternatives...sketch...the recent price increase for cloud members...and now dismissal of Muse...i see no reason to continue using adobe products. They better step it WAY UP with XD and FAST. Spark looks like garbage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 4
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just go to affinity. Leave the subscription fees behind.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 7
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Affinity.  They are fabulous alternatives to Photoshop and Illustrator.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 6
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity have an InDesign alternative coming closer to the end of 2018 too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditch PS, Illustrator and Indesign and switch to Affinity. Adobe are untrustworthy. Adobe Spark - yeah right how long til that gets shelved.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 2
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree 100%! The "let it die" worst case scenarion of "Edge Animate" convinced me ... negative.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
Contributor ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For giggles, drop $50 and try Affinity Photo. Slight learning curve, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also much faster than PS.

Non-destructive adjustments too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2018 3
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that Adobe will terminate this software. Probably they will also end Adobe Animate CC I think in near future. There is only two softwares people mostly used PS and AI, AE and Premiere I think. No one uses other softwares anymore. If I was adobe I will continue to support this software if of course until a new sofftware alternative has been developed. And there is nothing to add a new feature to adobe muse only a few thing stroke color selection for different sides etc that is it. Just support OS compatibility.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2018 1
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So will this app get killed off after a few years too! Very reluctant to invest any more time and effort into a "fad" software only for it to be cancelled!... Are you suggesting that we 'Musers" have to rebuild our vast number of clients sites in spark eventually? Build on what you have accomplished Adobe instead of another new app!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 107
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Adobe is in serious a financial situation and they unable to maintain a full product line. Even apparently successful companies such as Enron, Worldcom and Lehmans it seemed that profits were assured the year prior to collapse 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definitely not use Adobe web design apps in the future. I will choose an alternative and hope that it will not be taken over by Adobe, as has been the case in the past.

However, Adobe should be reduced the fees for Creative Cloud after a part of it was "killed".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 30, 2018 1
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Preran,

Is this decision by Adobe final?

You say, "While there is no 1:1 replacement for Adobe Muse at this stage,", does this mean there will be a similar programme/functionality in something new/else?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 13
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran, your link to the Spark pre-release program does not work - "address could not be found". My limited experience with Spark to date says that will not be a suitable replacement for Muse, however, I would like to see what you have to offer.

regards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 7
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I have corrected the link.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 1
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have huge changes planned for Spark, I have no idea how you are going to replicate the flexibility that Muse allowed users.

This is a shocking betrayal, Preran.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 83
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Spark solution is one of the solutions that have been suggested, and because I have not had a chance to test it myself, I cannot comment on the ease of migration. I am hoping that there will be other solutions here other than what has been proposed, including third-party solutions.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Third-party solutions"

There we have it folks; "we don't care if you go elsewhere"

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 30
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite laughable that Adobe pull plug on the middleweight app without having an alternative solution in place for its users. When that same audience are churning out thousands of sites every month via that middleweight app... It turns from laughable into gross negligence.

Adobe have never done this before as I understand it... Fireworks / Flash / Edge had new apps to replace them. This is the first time there is no real replacement, just a void for a competitor to fill.

If we don't get confirmation on a viable replacement for Muse by the end of the week Preran, my business is moving to webflow and we aren't coming back even if you fill the void you've left. Simply out of principle.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 74
Engaged ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran,

Spark (for the way that it stands now) is not a good alternative to Muse. There is no flexibility. I would not even suggest it as an alternative. It will only upset people after they demo it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 11
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m in SHOCK!!

The solutions that offer are not as good as Muse, with Muse you can design from scratch a new website with style without using any code, build a complex website for a graphic designer that is expert on illustrator, photoshop is a stone in the road!, Portfolio is only to show your creative work you can not design something special, and the last one Spark! is like using a website of word.

What happen to my membership of Creative Cloud that allow me 5 live websites host in Business Catalyst? Does the price of the membership will go down?

Which program will replace Adobe Muse? a program that function for designers to build websites with design but without not code???????

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 13
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes!! with this announcement they will break the contract with customers!:

What happen to my membership of Creative Cloud that allow me 5 live websites host in Business Catalyst? Does the price of the membership will go down?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 8
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edge Animate had/has no replacement. (Adobe Animate is a fundamentally different tool.) I now use Tumult Hype but IMO it's pretty crap compared to what Edge Animate was.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you, as a representative and employee of Adobe are recommending a product to "help" with this transition and you haven't even tested it yourself?

You have to see how amateur and unprofessional ( and unhelpful ) you are being right now - right?

My company is also built around Muse - The way in which this announcement has been delivered and now being handled truly shows that Adobe does not care about it's customers.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 4
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not touting Spark to be a replacement or the best migratory path for Muse sites. It is one of the solutions that could work for a subset of Muse users in the future. We will know only when we have the ability to use it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 0
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Spark produce standalone websites, that can run on any server or will it be a service run by adobe like it is now?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 4
Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You CAN NOT use SPARK as any type of alternative to MUSE. Period, End of story. Spark is at best a supplemental product.

Shame on Adobe (once again) for F*&$ing over their loyal users.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 4
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 4
Participant ,
Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then how can you even talk Spark Preran? Spark is a limited DIY one page template and has nothing on Adobe Muse, nothing! Unless it is being totally overhauled and why does Adobe now think that us "Designers" are now just template addicts? This is not directed at you Preran but at this point Adobe DISGUSTS me for their blatant disregard in how they have gone about this announcement/action! (taking away an essential product) while constantly price gouging our subscription!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 26, 2018 3
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is like a headless chicken running into walls and without answers that mean anything useful for it's customers. The truth is Adobe pulled the plug on a good app with nothing to replace it. Usually in business you don't EOL something without a suitable replacement and chance leaving your clients in the abyss, frustrated and angry. Adobe you just stepped in a public relations turd, again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preran why the hell are you making recommending apps which you have not used yet? Is this what you overlords suggested?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an insane move to make - Adobe has corrupted the community just to line the pockets of investors. What ever happened to true innovation? Muse is an amazing tool and I have recommended it to many friends who have in turn bought a subscription for this product alone. After hearing the news 3 of my friends have said they are now cancelling their subscriptions. Adobe has made a poor move in discontinuing a product that has true potential. My love for the company is now slowly turning into hatred and disgust. Its a sad day for designers and artists.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 3
Engaged ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it's not headless, it's just all about stock prices.

Did you listen to the video that someone posted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Preran. I too didn't know of Spark but just took some time to try it out. It is actually insulting to suggest Spark as alternative to Muse. Please take half an hour to try it out. It is difficult to engage in conversation around software you have no idea about.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 2
Participant ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very insulting!!! Here Adobe barracks for the Creatives and then suggests to us Designers a cookie-cutter arrangement which allows for a single website page and footer Spark advertising! Is this the best we can expect of Adobe nowadays? Disgusted!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 28, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Preran, If you don have  knowledge on Spark at all, why are then suggesting it as an alternative to Muse?

I become more and more reluctant to trust on Adobe aside its core products for any functionality at all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 12, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plus Spark is horrible!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 13, 2018 0
Participant ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALTERNATIVES:

1. You can export your muse Site to WordPress without too much difficulty.

2. Webflow! Actually could be a godsend that Adobe Muse - is at EOL. Adobe did the MINIMUM to make it work (responsive solution was 2 years late). Webflow may be a better solution.  More functionality.

The only downside is that all these options cost us more. There should be a discount to the CC subscription. I only use Adobe for Photo shop and Illustrator now... The new mobile apps are so light as to be ridiculous, and video editing is best done with Final Cut..

So Adobe is failing to develop new platforms for the web, and will eventually become a dinosaur... all that needs to happen is someone to develop a decent replacement to the legacy tools.  The best alternatives to Adobe Illustrator

So we will see if the way that this company has chosen not to tackle the difficult and expensive challenges, and to outsource most of its training and help pays off. Adobe seems to be milking the profits at the expense of the future.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 1
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you that Adobe is setting itself up to be replaced for all things web design. The legacy products are another story. For me the bigger question here is the loss of faith in company these decisions produce. Actively driving customers to competitors is ridiculously shortsighted for any company. Those two things...lost in faith and introducing customers to alternatives will no doubt lead the consumer to ask "I wonder what else is available"...and that question has the potential to pull dollars away from the legacy apps.

Ignoring the wants and needs of your customers, literally telling them to take their money somewhere else and not seeing the big picture is not a sustainable business model.

I wonder what Corel is up to these days?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 1
Contributor ,
Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The best alternatives to Adobe Illustrator"

The discovery of Fireworks made one scratch their head when they looked at Illustrator. Oh yeah, Adobe killed it. Well, they can't kill Affinity Designer. Or Affinity Photo. And no, Indesign did not kill QuarkXpress. So many choices. One choice is to stay with Adobe and wonder WHAT they're going to kill next. Another choice is to not put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify and be adaptable. We don't control software companies. They don't control us, unless you drink the kool aide.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 23, 2018 0