Highlighted

curser stuck on hand tool

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally the curser becomes stuck on the hand or move tool.  I can click on other tools but they do not respond.  The system is not completley

frozen, just the curser/tool.  The only way to fix it so far is to restart the computer.  Any ideas.  This only happens very rarely but it is very annoying.

I'm using Elements 8 and windows xp that is all up to date.

Michael

If space bar doesn't do the trick then you may try resetting preferences. Simply hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift while launching Editor. You will be asked if you want to delete preferences.You do.

Thanks

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

curser stuck on hand tool

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Occasionally the curser becomes stuck on the hand or move tool.  I can click on other tools but they do not respond.  The system is not completley

frozen, just the curser/tool.  The only way to fix it so far is to restart the computer.  Any ideas.  This only happens very rarely but it is very annoying.

I'm using Elements 8 and windows xp that is all up to date.

Michael

If space bar doesn't do the trick then you may try resetting preferences. Simply hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift while launching Editor. You will be asked if you want to delete preferences.You do.

Thanks

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 07, 2010 0
LEGEND ,
Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/654335?tstart=30

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2010 0
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hitting space on keyboard, is the shortcut for Hand Tool. If some how your space button on your keyboard is stuck, your pointer will remain as hand symbol. So, check the space bar next time it happens.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 07, 2010 3
Engaged ,
Jun 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2010 1
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this somehow made the tools work again for me, I just pressed shift control alt while AI was open and the hand tool finally left

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 31, 2018 0
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 08, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. I tried restarting the app as well. Looks like I need to restart the computer in this instance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get this too, I am a professional retoucher and have been using Photoshop since it's earliest days, (I pre-ordered CS5 as I have to be more up to date than any of my clients) I also bought a brand new Mac to run it on, as top spec as I could find.

Sometimes during an image edit my cursor will get stuck on the hand (panning tool). No matter what I try, I can't clone, erase etc even though the clone/erase tool is selected. I can even change brush shapes, but the cursor remains as a hand and the tool I want doesn't work. It will only go back to the tool I want after a prolonged wait, (maybe 3 minutes or so) and even quiting and restarting photoshop doesn't do the trick.

It's getting to be the bain of my life at the moment and embarrassing when retouching with a client watching.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 2
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joseph,

Although, this is naot a forum for Photoshop CS5, but i am sure that it will work for you as well.

Next time, if you face this problem, make sure that your Space bar on the keyboard is not stuck. Give it a hit to release it. Actualy pressing space bar is the shortcut for move tool (hand symbol). If it is stuck, it will remain as hand symbol no matter what tool you select. Try it once.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's nothing to do with the keyboard, seems to be a software issue somewhere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 0
Engaged ,
Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then i guess you should post at Photoshop forums to get a solution for this problem. http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop/photoshop_macintosh

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do,  cheers anyway

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Edit > Preferences > Cursors

Open the preferences, click a few of the other preferences subcategories on the left hand side of the preferences window (change nothing), and close the preferences window. Once it is closed the cursor would change back to normal.

Hope it works for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2010 2
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I smacked the space bar a couple times and it fixed my problem!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2016 1
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this solved my problem in adobe after effects cc2015.3 on OSX 10.10.5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 09, 2017 0
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issue, and believe it has only started for me in CS5.   (if it ever happened prior, I never noticed)  It is a serious annoyance, and I have noticed it throughout Adobe products that I use regularly- Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and it just happened twice in Camera Raw opened through Bridge.  This is seriously frustrating and needs to be resolved, hopefully adobe folks are paying attention.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 09, 2012 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me in Indesign CS6 using Mountain Lion. The hand tool appears and I can't select or work with any other tool. All I can do is move the document around. After trying the space bar and other key commands I restarted and it worked for a while. Then it happened again. I work on a Macbook pro, so when I removed the mouse and worked only with the trackpad there was no change. When I quit and reopened, no change. I then deleted prefs and restarted and it worked, but it's been happening from time to time. Anyone know any other fix.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 07, 2012 1