Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Sketch selection tool

New Here ,
Sep 24, 2016 Sep 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Im hoping you may have an answer to my question. I'm loving Adobe sketch on the iPad Pro but I have an issue. Is there a marquee/ selection tool in the application? I'm using the application to design characters and would be the icing on the cake for me if I can select -> move/ duplicate certain parts.

Im aware of the layer moving option, but that doesnt suffice unfortunately. If it cant do it, is there any other adobe paps for iPad that can? Or any other apps, but bare in mind that I love being a part of the premium Adobe ecosystem.

thanks in advance all!

Dan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Hi Daniel.

Selection and transform tools are requested often but there currently aren't any in Sketch (or Draw), as are copy & paste. I know the drawing teams know that people are hoping for the inclusion of these types of tools, but I don't know whether they will make it into the app.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any current Adobe apps that have that function. I will share your comments with the product team.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 25, 2016 Sep 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel.

Selection and transform tools are requested often but there currently aren't any in Sketch (or Draw), as are copy & paste. I know the drawing teams know that people are hoping for the inclusion of these types of tools, but I don't know whether they will make it into the app.

I'm sorry, I don't know of any current Adobe apps that have that function. I will share your comments with the product team.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2016 Oct 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround to this I usually duplicate my layer, erase everthing I don't want to transform, and then transform the whole layer. I agree that having a selection tool would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2017 Mar 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan,

Same here. Try Notes Plus (worth the one-time low cost investmen). Has all the functionality I wish adobe apps incorporated for marquee / selecting, editing vector shapes and more, except it's designed more for handwriting than drawing, so the pen tool UX/UI is not great and limited. I use it mainly for quick concept sketching / storyboards and for general notes and journaling. Has a neat gesture feature to scratch out a word to erase—amazing UX while writing, but super frustrating when drawing, so I flip a switch in preferences when focused on drawing.

Hope that helps...

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually Procreate does an excellent job of selecting/lasso tool.

I am giving adob draw and sketch another try but it really pales in comparison to procreate. Adobe apps don't allow you to rotate your artboard (not rotating the canvas but just rotating the project without having to rotate the ipad). In procreate I can just use my fingers to rotate the entire work space so I can draw better curves.

I will try again when adobe is able to implement selection and freely rotating canvas for drawing better curves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Judgeworks.

Thanks for posting.

Easier canvas rotation and a selection tool are both features that the Sketch team are considering for future versions of the app. I'll share your feedback with the product team.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

If you can get sketch & draw to do more of what procreate can do then I'd be more able to integrate sketch into my work process and flow.

Cheers

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue,

Yes! Easier canvas rotation and selection tools would be welcome additions to Sketch. Currently I am using a workflow similar to what anniew described, which is duplicating a layer, and erasing portions (this workflow can be awkward). Thank you, Cher

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love the Adobe sketch pencil line... for some reason, it just feels better to do an initial sketch in pencil in here. I usually color or paint and finish in  Procreate. Now that I can erase with my finger, and am familiar with the eyedropper tool (finally) I do a lot more in Sketch. Marque selection (quick mask mode would be SOOO DOPE) and canvas rotation would be VERY WELCOME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2017 Aug 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DesignDoc.

So glad you're liking Sketch. 

Both of your requests are popular ones. And actually the team is at some level of consideration for both of them. That said, I'm not sure what the timeline is for the incorporation of them... only that they will all likely make it to a future version of the app.

I know that's not much of an answer but I hope it helps a bit.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2018 Dec 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I would love a selection tool, more brushes, and better organization of projects. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow so this was about a year ago huh?  still no selection tool, and its funny considering the insane amount of money adobe makes with their creative cloud subscriptions , yet they still can't afford to port over their selection tools and filters. ill stick to procreate I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Orik.

Selection tools will be in Project Gemini (Introducing Project Gemini | Adobe Blog )when it launches later this year.

Sue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the official line is to wait for an extremely basic feature (this time, a selection tool for Adobe Sketch) to come out in *yet another new app* for Adobe’s sprawling, redundant family of products? Does Adobe have a roadmap for feature consolidation, or do they just build an entirely new app each time one of the engineers designs a new capability? I don't mean to be so antagonistic but it's ridiculous -- typing Adobe into the app store returns dozens of apps, half of which duplicate and cannibalize each other's purposes and feature sets.

When Project Gemini (astonishingly poor name choice for an app even if it's just a placeholder, but alas) is finally released, will you guys please discontinue Adobe Sketch and Draw, since they've been all but abandonware in terms of actual, significant updates that the community has requested for more than 4 years?

To wit: "But there’s a problem, and it’s long been lingering in the background: Adobe is too powerful and can ignore things it doesn’t want to do—whether in the form of cutting prices or ignoring usability concerns—in part because it carries itself like it’s the only game in town."

Is Adobe’s Creative Cloud Too Powerful for Its Own Good? - Motherboard

Please fix the apps we already have. Please. We're being buried under the mismanaged bloatware out here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years later... I guess, there are another drawing apps for Android tablets which have these features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm there with you. It's been 4 years since this thread was started. -I'd guess that though the moderator here likes to say they are considering these suggestions... They aren't. The number one name in digital art is loudly saying "it is what it is, take it or leave it."

-I am an art teacher in a school district. The district has to vet all of our apps and won't let us use Procreate, which seems to be the better choice. Somehow a bunch of my students figured out how to download Autobook Sketchbook which is an AMAZING program. But even the Sketches School app by Tayasui (which doesn't have layers) has a great little copy and paste tool. So for a project on pattern, we used Adobe to do some drawings using layers, and then save them and imported them to Sketches School to copy and paste the pattern motif. -I'd guess that although the moderator here likes to say they are considering these suggestions... They aren't. The number one name in digital art is loudly saying "it is what it is".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Jeffrey.

I was amazed by the Adobe app and learnt a lot in a few days but having
used Adobe photoshop in the past I was left wanting more. I now use
Autodesk Sketchbook and find that it can do all I ask. Including masking if
I get creative with the selection tool!
I'm sure Adobe are big & ugly enough to look after themselves but to be
honest, for me, I will probably free up my drive by uninstalling.

I'm sure that Adobe will upgrade in the futre and perhaps I'll give it
another go then.

Proud of you for teaching! Keep on!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines