A letter to our Photoshop Community

Dear Fellow Photoshop Users,

With the new Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release, there have been a lot of questions regarding what the impact upon Adobe products will be. As a Mac and Adobe product user myself, I can empathize with your concern.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.33.10 PM.pngI know many of you have reached out via email to ask specific tech questions and about system requirements. I would recommend reading this thorough Helpx article written by our product experts https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html. Our team is actively testing and logging known issues, and our product team is diligently at work to resolve them for the next release. We are keeping a rolling log of known bugs that we are working to address here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html For additional troubleshooting help, please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

I also wanted to do my best to address the larger question from the User community regarding CS6 incompatibility with 10.15, and the current subscription-based model. Technology innovation continues to forge ahead at an unprecedented pace, and our OS partners are releasing new versions faster and more frequently than before. Adobe must also move with our technology partners and update our applications with new OS releases to provide you, our creative users, with the best experience. If you’ve upgraded your OS to 10.15, you will discover that the installer for CS6 no longer works. Unfortunately, CS6 is built on technologically that isincompatible with the new OS at a foundational level.

If you are used to a perpetual license, the switch to a subscription may seem daunting. I remember when I made the switch myself and waiting for buyer’s remorse to set in. It didn’t. As a user, I discovered that bug fixes and improvements to the user interface were continually being updated. I was thrilled to find that my Adobe creative software was always in lockstep with my computer updates. When I had a hard-drive failure, I dreaded having to rebuild my vast Lr Catalog. I was overwhelmed thinking about the number of hours it would take to get everything back to where I had it—even having a backup. I cannot tell you what a relief it was that Lr simply downloaded all of my settings and photos from the cloud. I still reconnected my locally stored images and catalog to a newly downloaded Lr app, but a week’s long process took a whole 10 minutes.

I discovered as a user, the subscription-based model enables Adobe to respond to new OS releases actively and quickly push out new versions that address compatibility bugs and issues. Subscription-based models also allow our engineers to develop new features suggested by our user community actively.  Things might feel a little bumpy immediately after an OS release, but we are working hard to ensure that the benefits will be far greater than the temporary discomfort.

Please know that your voice is heard. My team and I regularly share your requests and feedback with our product team and we are working diligently with Apple to ensure our upcoming release is compatible with Catalina and resolves this issue.

Your feedback is vital to helping us address issues so that we can push out the very best product updates to you so that you can continue to create.

Rebecca

Topics

Download and install, FAQ, How to, Mac, Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
This conversation has been locked.

A letter to our Photoshop Community

Dear Fellow Photoshop Users,

With the new Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release, there have been a lot of questions regarding what the impact upon Adobe products will be. As a Mac and Adobe product user myself, I can empathize with your concern.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.33.10 PM.pngI know many of you have reached out via email to ask specific tech questions and about system requirements. I would recommend reading this thorough Helpx article written by our product experts https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html. Our team is actively testing and logging known issues, and our product team is diligently at work to resolve them for the next release. We are keeping a rolling log of known bugs that we are working to address here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html For additional troubleshooting help, please visit: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-troubleshooting.html

I also wanted to do my best to address the larger question from the User community regarding CS6 incompatibility with 10.15, and the current subscription-based model. Technology innovation continues to forge ahead at an unprecedented pace, and our OS partners are releasing new versions faster and more frequently than before. Adobe must also move with our technology partners and update our applications with new OS releases to provide you, our creative users, with the best experience. If you’ve upgraded your OS to 10.15, you will discover that the installer for CS6 no longer works. Unfortunately, CS6 is built on technologically that isincompatible with the new OS at a foundational level.

If you are used to a perpetual license, the switch to a subscription may seem daunting. I remember when I made the switch myself and waiting for buyer’s remorse to set in. It didn’t. As a user, I discovered that bug fixes and improvements to the user interface were continually being updated. I was thrilled to find that my Adobe creative software was always in lockstep with my computer updates. When I had a hard-drive failure, I dreaded having to rebuild my vast Lr Catalog. I was overwhelmed thinking about the number of hours it would take to get everything back to where I had it—even having a backup. I cannot tell you what a relief it was that Lr simply downloaded all of my settings and photos from the cloud. I still reconnected my locally stored images and catalog to a newly downloaded Lr app, but a week’s long process took a whole 10 minutes.

I discovered as a user, the subscription-based model enables Adobe to respond to new OS releases actively and quickly push out new versions that address compatibility bugs and issues. Subscription-based models also allow our engineers to develop new features suggested by our user community actively.  Things might feel a little bumpy immediately after an OS release, but we are working hard to ensure that the benefits will be far greater than the temporary discomfort.

Please know that your voice is heard. My team and I regularly share your requests and feedback with our product team and we are working diligently with Apple to ensure our upcoming release is compatible with Catalina and resolves this issue.

Your feedback is vital to helping us address issues so that we can push out the very best product updates to you so that you can continue to create.

Rebecca

Topics

Download and install, FAQ, How to, Mac, Problem or error
View all replies

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn More
74 Replies

Re: A letter to our Photoshop Community

should i hold out hope that my cs6 purchased and used daily version will eventually work on Catalina ?

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

No.

No.
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Re: No.

No not ever sorry.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

What in the post did give you that idea?

What in the post did give you that idea?
View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Mike i was hoping for that too... I expend a lot of money...

Mike i was hoping for that too... I expend a lot of money on buying the Adobe Creative Suite CS6, because i could not afford the Monthly feed for the CC and now does not work at all... I am very disappointed.. and Pissed... I guess and GIMP got to do it for me... Few hundred dollars down the drain...   Maybe i get away from Apple and Adobe all together and get me a windows computer... Very Pissed Adobe/Apple user...

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

As a long-time and reluctant, but new CC customer, I appreciate the info. I have a few thoughts about my first month with the Creative Cloud service.

First, I'd like more of a heads-up on a target date for Lightroom 9 (and the next versions of any software that resolves incompatibility issues), even if it's loose and a mere speculative projection. Something. Anything. Also, the Lightroom-Photoshop product-naming debacle remains very confusing for new customers. While the two-App Lightroom workflow itself is a mess, it is somewhat workable.

Why is it that photographers still don't have built-in tools to process color and black-and-white photographic negatives? After sticking with the last desktop versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for as long as I could (I guess almost five years), I expected more advanced, cutting-edge cloud Apps. Nikon D850 camera-scanning for film originals has been available for well over a year and other camera vendors tout the capability too. Old film scanners are becoming incompatible and dying off, especially with the arrival of macOS Catalina. Camera scanning to edit film negatives now is a "thing." Negative Lab Pro is a new Plug-in for this, and it's good (and getting better), but it doesn't work with GPU acceleration because, I'm told, of an Adobe issue.

In the past, Adobe always was ahead of the curve with technology like this. Now it's lagging badly and the lack of professional negative-edting tools for photographers in Lightroom and Photoshop is appalling. Maybe Adobe could pull some resources away from illustration and image manipulation tools for graphic designers and put more effort into solutions for working  photographers? Frankly, this sort of development lethargy is exactly what long-time customers feared when Adobe shifted to rental software.

And while we're speaking of photography customers, I can't imagine fellow photographers appreciuate being greeted by screens in which Adobe peddles images that compete with their services. That's tone deaf.

Finally, the Creative Cloud control panel needs to provide more detailed information on version updates (something beyond "your Apps have just been updated"). I want to know (at glance) what specific software versions were just installed and what version was just removed, so I don't have to manually track this down if a troubleshooting issue arrives. Adobe should not be so cavalier about installing YOUR software on MY computer.

These may be harsh criticisms, but I offer them as a long-time and loyal customer who hopes to see the company excel. Adobe forced a reluctant market to move to rental software to optimize and level its quarterly revenue stream. It seems to me the company now has an obligation to do better by its customers. Adobe has done this in the past, and this why our expectations remain high.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

agree 100% my friend, return to purchase only and let the individual decide on the package most suitable for thier needs. The clock is ticking Abobe. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thank you for posting this!  I've been experiencing bugs with Photoshop and posted a cry for help a couple days ago.  Did some investigating and this is definitely the problem.  Happy to see this post, and know that it's not me simply forgetting to switch to RGB mode or something silly.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Betreff: A letter to our Photoshop Community

Thank you. But after preparing my Mac for weeks and months, getting pop-ups which software will not run in the future etc. I now have to wait now on Adobe to update my Mac to Catalina. Sorry, but it cannot be a surprise for Adobe either that 32bit applications are not running anymore (s. Lens Profile Creator). And I really don't want to use "workarounds".

My question to you and the support team is: Why it's not been tested before? Will we be informed when all bugs are fixed and when will this happen?

Thank you very much.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Resurrecting an old post/comment - but I completely agree and this is my biggest issue. Catalina betas had been going for some time and with the amount of money that's being paid, it's beyond me how core applications used by so many were not ready. Instead, we get a new "dashboard"...  This helps no one.  In what world does switching to a subscription make sense, when the applications simply don't work correctly / as expected for even the simplist of workflows?... and the official stance is to hold off updating your machine, but not providing a *rough* roadmap as to when Adobe's software would be updated.

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

I have other 32 bit applications that won't run on Catalina, which is why I'm not upgrading now, and will have at least one legacy machine for this reason. It was Apple's choice to drop support for 32bit apps, and frankly I don't see what advantage there is to not supporting 32bit applications. 

Catalina is a huge step in not being backwards compatible. In a producton environment there is absolutely no reason to move to Catalina. What does it offer that a person needs in PS? I haven't found anything. 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines

Thanks so much for posting this! it will surely be of great help to my editing for [Link removed by moderator]

i am a new CC customer, so this helps 

View all replies

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines