• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text panel can cause playhead to snap around inadvertently

Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2024 Jun 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the text transcript panel, if you have a word in the search field, and 'follow active monitor' checked, from time to time while editing your playehead will snap to wherever in your sequence that word you have in the search field appears. Feels like if your active panel is a sequence the search panel shouldn't be moving your cursor around.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Hi, 

I don't have an update on this bug yet so for now the only workaround is to clear the search field in the Text panel. I'll keep you posted once we have a fix!

Best,

Kerstin

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @BrianDavison,

Thanks for filing the bug. Is it possible to give the team more information? See: How do I write a bug report?

I hope the team can address this issue soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

Status Needs More Info

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing @Kevin-Monahan

• PPro Version: 24.5.0 (though this behavior has been in previous versions as well)
  • System: Mac Studio M2 Ultra
  • RAM 64 GB
  • Hard drive: USB 3 SSD
  • Video Format: AVCI

I'm working in a sequence cutting multicam interview clips. These multicam sequences have static transcripts generated from within the multicam sequence. To reproduce the issue:

1.  Create new sequence.
  2. Bring your entire multicam interview clip into this sequence to begin pulling selects.
  3. Open the text panel and enable 'follow active monitor'. Search for some word that appears a few times in your interview, and leave that search term in the search box.
  4. Now, in your sequence panel, go through and just kind of edit as normal. Add edit points, trim, whatever. Sporadically, your playhead will jump to a timecode of your squence where that search term that you left in the search box appears.

I hope that is clear! Honestly, it's not the worst thing ever once you're aware of the behavior, but before I figured out what was going on, it was driving me bananas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this previous bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-searches-persist-across-sequences-and-clips-ca...

As discussed some parts of this dilemma is more an "as designed" than bug, but, as you say, until you understand what is happening it is maddening.

However, this post by @Kerstin Ebert suggested that some of the behavior may be a bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-bugs/text-searches-persist-across-sequences-and-clips-ca...

I have not tested for some time, so do not know if it is still the same or not. I did not think that the "follow active" had any relevance. All that does is determine which transcript view you have based on which monitor view you are in.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Stan Jones, thanks for pointing me to that. I totally missed that thread and it's the exact issue I'm encountering. I would assume (but haven't tested) that if 'follow active' is unchecked and it's set to the source monitor, the bug (that I believe Kerstin accurately identifies) wouldn't occur as Premiere wouldn't be trying to inadvertently find words within the sequence you're working in.

Anyhow, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2024 Jun 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian,

Thanks for the additional explanation. I'll try to get around to testing.

Perhaps @Kerstin Ebert will check in and update that thread.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I don't have an update on this bug yet so for now the only workaround is to clear the search field in the Text panel. I'll keep you posted once we have a fix!

Best,

Kerstin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2024 Jul 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, Brian. Thanks for the added information. I hope the team can fix this bug ASAP. I will try to get more traction on your issue internally.

Sorry for the frustration.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The status of this bug report has been updated.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kerstin Ebert 

@Kevin-Monahan 

As someone who has been confounded by this behaviour, I am discouraged by the level of communication on this.

From Stan Jones in the other thread:

Mach 20, 2024
“f this is the expected behavior/by design, …”

June 21, 2024
"some parts of this dilemma is more an "as designed" than bug …"

July 3, 2024
“I stayed confused over this "bug vs expected behavior …"

What we get from Adobe on this is that the status of this "bug" is "updated".

Some questions:

- what is the expected behaviour of this?

- if the status of the "bug" has changed, what does that mean for users?

Documentation. Communication.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate