Keyboard shortcuts to rotate a Brush?

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2014 Feb 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC and/or CS 6

Hi, everyone. I love being able to use the bracket keys to enlarge and shrink brushes. I wondering if there are shortcuts for rotating brushes? Going to the Brush dialog box is tedious.

Thanks for any tips!

Val in chilly IL

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Community Professional , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional , Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019
New for photoshop 2020 https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html Rotate brush tip You can now quickly rotate the brush tip by using the Left and Right Arrow keys when a brush tool is active. Left Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 1 degree anti-clockwise. Right Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 1 degree clockwise. Shift + Left Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 15 degrees anti-clockwise. Shift + Right Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 15 degrees clockwise. A new user p...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo!

Since CC, there is now a brush angle control on the right-click of the brush tool.

As seen of figure 4 on: http://www.photoshopforphotographers.com/CC_2013/Help_guide/tp/Brush_tool.html

Some create brushes at different angles, and use the Shift+, and Shift+. shortcuts to switch the active brush.

You can vote on this suggestion: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_real_time_hotkey_control_for_brush_r...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an actual keyboard shortcut that doesn't involve a right click of mouse or pen? 

I'm using a Wacom pen, and have remapped the right click on the pen to Undo instead, as that's much more useful to me.  I'd really like to be able to quickly use a KB shortcut to quickly rotate the brush as I'm painting with it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I also think that this would be very helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 been wanting this for years

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Wacom tablet, I would look for their Art Pen, that register barrel rotation. (just giving another possible solution)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rotate brushes often and would LOVE to have a keyboard shortcut to do it. Would save lots of time.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 19, 2017 Nov 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, all ! if you agree, it is best to cast a vote here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_real_time_hotkey_control_f or_brush_...​ and explain why you need that function, please make your case!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently I'm using a script I made as a shortcut to increment and decrement the brush angle with F1 and F2. I'm planning to create a widget so you can change the angle by dragging from the widget. You can follow can me on twitter @patrickdeen if you're interested.

patrick_deen_brush_angle.gif

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 10, 2018 Jan 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the Scripts also work on sampled brushes?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 04, 2018 Oct 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, I use a spring-loaded shortcut as it's faster than jumping back and forth to the panel... basically, instead of rotating the brush angle I rotate the canvas.

With the brush (or other tool) selected > press and hold the R key > rotate canvas as needed > let go of R key and you're right back to the brush. To reset view, press & hold R key then click Reset View on toolbar or... just hit the ESC key.

Spring-loaded tools are great for when you need to temporarily switch tools for a quick edit, just press and hold the keyboard shortcut. Release key when done with edit and you jump right back to previous selected tool.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great idea. thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New for photoshop 2020

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2020.html

Rotate brush tip

You can now quickly rotate the brush tip by using the Left and Right Arrow keys when a brush tool is active.

• Left Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 1 degree anti-clockwise.
  • Right Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 1 degree clockwise.
  • Shift + Left Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 15 degrees anti-clockwise.
  • Shift + Right Arrow key rotates the brush tip by 15 degrees clockwise.

A new user preference (Preferences > Tools > Arrow Keys Rotate Brush Tip) has also been added in the Preferences dialog. This preference is ON by default. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff seeing this old post resurrected has given me an idea.  I mostly use the touch ring on my tablet for brush size, so it would have to be convenient to also use the Touch Ring to rotate the brush.

image.png

Since making the above screen shot I have increased speed of this function, but there is some lag so I'm finding I need to allow it to catch up and try not to get too far ahead of myself, but I am liking it better than having to reach across with my left hand to the cursor keys.

It's a while since I last reprogrammed the Touch Ring, and I innitially got into a tiz trying to clear the fields using the Delete key which just added 'the delete function to the field  🙂  Fortunately, my brain switched itself on, and I realized yopu need to start by using the Clear key.

image.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. to work around this problem you can press R to rotate your canvas.The brush will still straight.  

i hope it will help you

cheers!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a key command for rotating the brush in clone stamp tool?

I was trying to use the arrow key, but without avail. Seems a little inconsistent, that the rotation is only limited to the brush menu. Am I missing something here?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes: Option (Mac) / Alt (Win) + Shift + < or > 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines